What's new

Thinking about Home Brewing, what to do?

Hi Everyone,

Some friends recently visited us, and while they were here, we baked bread, roasted coffee, pulled shots on my La Pavoni, brewed kombucha, made caramel corn.... yada yada yada. One day they said to me, "You do all these crazy cool DIY things, baking, coffee, kombucha even vanilla extract... why are you not home brewing?"

I sat there for a minute, silent, stunned. I had no answer, other than - "I don't really know".

They also brought up the fact I live in the middle of no where, and that there is no good places to buy good/great beer. That I have to basically go down to Atlanta, to get beer that I love. On top of that, it costs me $5 a bottle for the stuff I love.

This has been sitting with me for awhile now, and sort of stirring in the back of my mind. I have never attempted brewing beer, I do brew kombucha, but that is really simple stupid easy. But when I think about it, I really think it makes a whole lot of sense for me to start home brewing.

But I am stumped... I have so many questions....

What do I do?
Where do I go?
How hard will it be?
What do I need to buy?
How much does it cost?
What kind of kit?
How long does it take?
Where do I get recipes?
etc....

Anyway, if you home brew... I sure could use a mentor or two. How the heck do I start?

As far as beers, I love dark, Belgium Quads, Christmas Beers (Samichlaus), Sours, deep and very complex beer.

St. Bernardus ABT 12
Westie 12
Stille Nacht - De Dolle
Trappistes Rochefort 10
Guido Beer
Monks Flemish Sour Ale
Smoglifter
Old Engine Oil
etc....

I suspect, a home brewer probably needs a lot of experience to get to those types of brews. But heck, If I have to start with IPA and lighter beers, well, I guess that's what I have to do.

I don't have a ton of room to brew. I would have to do it in a corner of our family room, in the basement. Or the bathtub in the basement... So hopefully, room isn't a huge requirement.

Anyway, thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Last edited:
Home brewing is a fun hobby and you can easily get very good results that you and your friends will enjoy. If you do venture into the hobby, IPA's and other ales are the place to start then work your way into bigger beers. There are plenty of online vendors that can help you out with supplies, MoreBeer, Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew supply, even my local supplier, Great Fermentations, has a very good online presence.

My biggest concern based on your comments is space. You would need to be able to boil 5-6 gallons of liquid with a hard boil. Most stoves cannot accomplish this so you will see most beginning homebrewers quickly move to a turkey fryer size burner which would require you to brew outdoors. If you can brew outdoors and have a basement for fermenting, you should be able to enjoy making your own brew.

Thanks for the reply! I have doors to a lower level outdoor patio, where I could boil... See pic below. This is where I was thinking of doing the fermenting. Ya the corner is a mess. That's the eBay pile, as well as a few others odds and ends.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405091301.695615.jpg

I would love more thoughts and suggestions.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
There 2 ways to make beer that I know of.

1-Using a malt
2-Making a mash

Using a malt is probably easier and quicker as you don't have to make the mash bit. A mash is, basically, like infusing tea for a period of time (it vary depending on which grains you have and what you want to make).

A malt is already done, you just need sugar, yeast and water pretty much.

These days, I rarely brew beer, I do more wine (which is pretty much the same kit). I do everything in the garage as you will get a scent coming from the primary fermenter from day 1 to probably day 5 or 7. Then, it's much milder.

Check if you have a local winemaking or beer making store. Most cities have one. That's where you will find the equipment, malts, grains, yeast, etc, what you need.

How close are you to Marietta? There is an awesome homebrew store there called Brewmasters Warehouse. Ed, the owner is awesome, and the staff are all friendly. Even if they aren't in driving distance, it would be a good resource to buy from. I'm in Greenville SC and order from them regularly. Flat rate shipping and a 1 day point from GA. Great for the summer months when long shipping times can really cook yeast.

Also, homebrewtalk.com is an awesome online community of homebrewers. Browse around. there are tons of threads of people asking the exact thing you are. I'm on there with the same username, but have not posted in a while.

If you wanted to test the waters, I'd start with a simple 3 gallon extract recipe. Malt extract is great for beginners because you don't have to boil as long and don't have to worry about extracting sugars from grains etc. I could even help put together a "kit" for you based on beers you like. I'd suggest not starting with one of the bigger Belgian beers. Pale Ales, wheat beers and other "simpler" beers are great for starters.

You are also going to need some equipment. All of it can be found at a homebrew store

Must have:
-fermentation vessel - usually a fermentation bucket with lid
-air lock
-boil pot
-racking cane
-bottling bucket - different from fermentation bucket - this has a spigot at the bottom
-bottling wand
-hydrometer
-no rinse sanitizer (my favorite is Starsan - it comes concentrated. I mix it a gallon at a time. I keep a spray bottle filled at all times for squirting smaller things like airlocks, spoons, thermometers etc. The good thing about this sanitizer is that it is effective after 30 seconds. As long as the object is wet with the sanitizer solution, you are safe. Other sanitizers take longer to work, and require full submersion. You save money with Starsan because you don't have to mix 5 gallons to sanitize your fermentation bucket. Just pour in enough to cover the bottom, put on the lid and shake like crazy. Oh yea, good news, the foam sanitizes as well. DONT FEAR THE FOAM!!!!! You don't even have to scoop out the foam before putting in the wort. Its an acid based sanitizer, so once mixed with the beer wort, it is neutralized and turns into yest food).

Not a must, but very nice to have
-wine theif
-wort chiller
-mesh hop sacks - keeps hops contained when using pellets
-swamp cooler setup - ambient temperature in the South (even inside) is too hot for fermentation. a swamp cooler is just a shallow tub of water that you set your fermentation vessel into. You then put a t-shirt over the top of the vessel, then aim a fan at it. The evaporative cooling well help out a lot so you dont have to crank your AC down to 65.

Other suggestions -
-stay away from most recipe kits.
-if you can buy liquid yest, do it.
-look or ask for fresh malt extract. Most reputable homebrew stores all have fresh extract.
-don't follow the secondary fermentation rule. Most old books advocate 1-2 weeks in a primary, then transferring to a secondary fermenter. IMO, the more times you touch or transfer the beer, the more chances you have for infection and oxidation. I've done a few very big beers that required extended aging, thus needed a secondary vessel. Otherwise, just leave the darn thing alone for a month, then bottle.

There is probably a lot I'm leaving out, but its a start. In general, brewing is much more complex and finnicky than kombucha. The bacteria and yeast that turn sweet tea into kombucha are pretty much the exact things you are trying to keep away from beer. Kombucha is pretty much a gigantic acetobacter/lactobacillus infection. Only a handful of sour beer styles use anything but a pure yest strain.

Last edited:
There 2 ways to make beer that I know of.

1-Using a malt
2-Making a mash

Using a malt is probably easier and quicker as you don't have to make the mash bit. A mash is, basically, like infusing tea for a period of time (it vary depending on which grains you have and what you want to make).

A malt is already done, you just need sugar, yeast and water pretty much.

These days, I rarely brew beer, I do more wine (which is pretty much the same kit). I do everything in the garage as you will get a scent coming from the primary fermenter from day 1 to probably day 5 or 7. Then, it's much milder.

Check if you have a local winemaking or beer making store. Most cities have one. That's where you will find the equipment, malts, grains, yeast, etc, what you need.

My wife works at a nearby winery, they sell "some" wine making supplies. She will be there Monday, so I will ask her to see what they have to sell. Or possibly what they have access to order. Thanks, didn't know they use the same type of equipment.

How close are you to Marietta? There is an awesome homebrew store there called Brewmasters Warehouse. Ed, the owner is awesome, and the staff are all friendly. Even if they aren't in driving distance, it would be a good resource to buy from. I'm in Greenville SC and order from them regularly. Flat rate shipping and a 1 day point from GA. Great for the summer months when long shipping times can really cook yeast.

Also, homebrewtalk.com is an awesome online community of homebrewers. Browse around. there are tons of threads of people asking the exact thing you are. I'm on there with the same username, but have not posted in a while.

If you wanted to test the waters, I'd start with a simple 3 gallon extract recipe. Malt extract is great for beginners because you don't have to boil as long and don't have to worry about extracting sugars from grains etc. I could even help put together a "kit" for you based on beers you like. I'd suggest not starting with one of the bigger Belgian beers. Pale Ales, wheat beers and other "simpler" beers are great for starters.

You are also going to need some equipment. All of it can be found at a homebrew store

Must have:
-fermentation vessel - usually a fermentation bucket with lid
-air lock
-boil pot
-racking cane
-bottling bucket - different from fermentation bucket - this has a spigot at the bottom
-bottling wand
-hydrometer
-no rinse sanitizer (my favorite is Starsan - it comes concentrated. I mix it a gallon at a time. I keep a spray bottle filled at all times for squirting smaller things like airlocks, spoons, thermometers etc. The good thing about this sanitizer is that it is effective after 30 seconds. As long as the object is wet with the sanitizer solution, you are safe. Other sanitizers take longer to work, and require full submersion. You save money with Starsan because you don't have to mix 5 gallons to sanitize your fermentation bucket. Just pour in enough to cover the bottom, put on the lid and shake like crazy. Oh yea, good news, the foam sanitizes as well. DONT FEAR THE FOAM!!!!! You don't even have to scoop out the foam before putting in the wort. Its an acid based sanitizer, so once mixed with the beer wort, it is neutralized and turns into yest food).

Not a must, but very nice to have
-wine theif
-wort chiller
-mesh hop sacks - keeps hops contained when using pellets
-swamp cooler setup - ambient temperature in the South (even inside) is too hot for fermentation. a swamp cooler is just a shallow tub of water that you set your fermentation vessel into. You then put a t-shirt over the top of the vessel, then aim a fan at it. The evaporative cooling well help out a lot so you dont have to crank your AC down to 65.

Other suggestions -
-stay away from most recipe kits.
-if you can buy liquid yest, do it.
-look or ask for fresh malt extract. Most reputable homebrew stores all have fresh extract.
-don't follow the secondary fermentation rule. Most old books advocate 1-2 weeks in a primary, then transferring to a secondary fermenter. IMO, the more times you touch or transfer the beer, the more chances you have for infection and oxidation. I've done a few very big beers that required extended aging, thus needed a secondary vessel. Otherwise, just leave the darn thing alone for a month, then bottle.

There is probably a lot I'm leaving out, but its a start. In general, brewing is much more complex and finnicky than kombucha. The bacteria and yeast that turn sweet tea into kombucha are pretty much the exact things you are trying to keep away from beer. Kombucha is pretty much a gigantic acetobacter/lactobacillus infection. Only a handful of sour beer styles use anything but a pure yest strain.

Thanks for the very indepth reply, at work right now. I will reply more in depth later =)

Hey Edcculus,

Thanks again for the awesome post.

I am 1hr 40m from Marietta, I will have to visit, next time I am near Atlanta. I will check out their website at lunch today though.

Thanks for the reference on the HB forum. I will pop in and take a look around. Also, I ended up buying "How to Brew" and "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" today on Amazon. Should be here... Wednesday. Excited!

Also, I subscribed to The Brewing Network & Basic Brew Radio, I listen to Radio all day anyway, so I should be able to plow through these in a few weeks time.

The wife works at a winery, she is going to check to see if she can order equipment from one of their suppliers.

I spent about 4hrs last night and watched a zillion videos on YouTube, obviously that doesn't make me an expert or anything, but I have at least a decent understanding of the basic setup and equipment. So much to learn.

After the wife gets back to me on what she can get, I will reply back on the equipment.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The first edition of How To Brew by John Palmer is available for free online www.howtobrew.com The later editions have been expanded somewhat but this version is a great entry level manual for the beginner.

How to Brew is possibly the best book there is on brewing. The online version is good, but I'd recommend any new brewer to go ahead and get the book. John Palmer is on The Brewing Network a lot.

Basic Brewing Radio is awesome too, but has more of that boring "NPR" feel. TBN is more upbeat, but it sometimes takes about 15-20 minutes of them dicking around before actually getting to the actual topic.

As far as Youtube goes, I have no idea what kind of videos are out there. Whatever you do, DO NOT follow ANY advice from Craigtube.

How to Brew is possibly the best book there is on brewing. The online version is good, but I'd recommend any new brewer to go ahead and get the book. John Palmer is on The Brewing Network a lot.

Basic Brewing Radio is awesome too, but has more of that boring "NPR" feel. TBN is more upbeat, but it sometimes takes about 15-20 minutes of them dicking around before actually getting to the actual topic.

As far as Youtube goes, I have no idea what kind of videos are out there. Whatever you do, DO NOT follow ANY advice from Craigtube.

Thanks Mate.

Question on the supplies... Would you recommend buckets to start or carboys?

Buckets or Better Bottles. Just look up cracked carboy on youtube. I'm sure there are videos. They are scary things unless you are able to put them in a stationary position and not move them until after you rack the beer.

That being said, I've used glass carboys for ages, and still have some. If I were in the market for new fermentation vessels, I would not be buying new glass carboys.

I actually rather like fermenting in Corny kegs as well, but thats only really practical if you have a kegging setup.

Cool, thanks again mate. The winery is going to be ordering supplies this week, so I am trying to get a catalog or a link to the supplier site so i can find what i need.

Welcome to the fun ... Ed has provided fantastic advice here (I used to frequent HBT also).

Just a couple of thoughts ... you can usually find a beginner kit from most retailers, it's how I got my start. You could also check on Craigslist, it seems there's always someone out there giving up the hobby :(

Would recommend buckets and better bottles as well, buckets for primary fermentation though. More room equals less chance of blow off :blushing:

I also, do not fear the foam ... StarSan is my preferred santizer.

Read those book ... they're excellent resources.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a recipe kit. If you're ordering a kit online, order from a busy retailer. More stock turnover. If you have a local homebrew store, support it as much as possible. They're an invaluable resource.

Oh ... and unless you're kegging, start buying good beers with pry off caps and save the bottles ;) Sam Adams bottles are fantastic for homebrew. I bottled a Blonde Ale last night (Biermuncher's Centennial @Edcculus). That'd be a great recipe for you to start with. Second time I've made it ... an excellent summer beer.

Hit up a local homebrewing store. Most cities and towns have a least one good shop. In addition to starter kits, most places offer classes as well to help you get started.

Also listen to anything Ed says, the guy is a genius with homebrewing.

Last edited:
I think we have him sorted. He is able to order directly from ID Carlson through the winery. I helped him put together a good list that will start him well on the path for some great extract + steeping, and even some minimash recipes.

Oh, also I'd suggest browsing the recipes section of HBT. There are lots of tried and true recipes there. Look for extract, or extract + steeping grains. You can put together a list and probably order anything from the wholesaler. Only caveat on some of that might be quantity, so double check minimum orders etc. I don't recommend getting a pre assembled kit.

Hit us up when you want to delve into all grain brewing. :)

Again, Ed, thanks so very much mate. We may need to connect in person one day. I'm not too far from SC.

With Ed's help, I'll be ordering this, unless the wife kicks me in the Jimmy.

The pricing is pretty great. I basically saved roughly 40-50% on everything list. Some smaller items even more.

Here is the list.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405464701.906249.jpg

Look up some of the kits on Northern Brewer, Midwest Supplies, Adventuresin Homebrewing, etc.

The starter kits will have everything you need to start from extract recipes.

If you want to go all-grain right away, there are other kits for that. So the All-Grain Kit + Starter kit = everything you "need" to start.

Also, Youtube videos on "how to..." I have found them to be great for everything from sanitation, kegging, bottling, etc. (or find a friend who homebrews and ask if you can get some tutelage)

Also, unless you are storing/lagering/aging beers for months, go plastic and widemouth on your fermentors/buckets. I Have some glass carboys which are nice for long term storage of a cider or something, but they are a pain to clean after primary fermentation. The BigMouth fermentors are awesome, IMO.

Good Luck, have fun!

Nice set up! What's your first brew going to be?

I wanted to add Brewing TV (not producing any new videos now) and Basic Brewing's videos to your resource list. The visual dimension is nice when you are getting started, and there is an interesting contrast between the two. Plus casual viewing with my wife and kids convinced them that I wasn't much crazier than anybody else. Also, check out the Mad Fermentationist's blog--he does some interesting stuff (and has a good book on sour beer). Also, the blog "Shut up about Barclay Perkins" is a great source of info about the history of brewing as well as some first-rate UK-style beer recipes.

Looking at your gear, I'm guessing that you are going to start with extract for a while. I think that's great--extracts produce an excellent result, despite the strong opinions that home brewers hold about extract v. AG (it's like shaving with a multi-blade v. DE, or DE v. straight). If you decide to make the jump to AG, don't feel like you need to go out and buy a ton of new stuff. Experiment with smaller batches and BIAB (Brew in a Bag) for a while. That way you can see what you like before you start building or buying mash tuns, jumping up to bigger kettles, or going crazy on all the high tech gear. When I started brewing again a couple of years ago after a long break, I enjoyed BIAB for a while, and it let me slowly add gear, piece by piece.

Also, have a look around for a home brewing club. I started brewing many years ago at a place in Chicago where you could basically use the gear on site to brew your beer. There were always a couple of crews around and I learned a lot from more experienced guys. Home brewing clubs are the same. The one that I go to has guys who have been extract brewing since the 70s, students who brew in their dorm kitchen, hard core fanatics who own every piece of new, expensive gear imaginable, one guy who only brews Russian Imperial Stout, and a several craft brewers who own their own operations but keep coming to the club. It's a lot of fun and a great way to exchange information and beer. At the same time, don't hesitate to contact pro brewers, especially if you are interested in something that they do well. I've found that many of them are very generous with their time and advice, and have a soft spot in their heart for home brewers. A couple of the fine craft breweries in my area also run a "beer church" where you can go by on a Sunday afternoon and talk with their brewers.

Finally, don't be afraid to try more elaborate styles and methods. I have a number of different sours going, I've bottled with Brett, done some lagering with a friend who has more gear than me, and used fresh hops, local grain, and yeast I cultured. There is so much info available on line that you can get help and advice with just about anything.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Top Bottom