What's new

How fat do you guys like these suckers?

I do like a wide strop. My Dovo Russian "Extra Wide" strop is just right. It comes in slightly over 3 inches. I included a picture for comparison.
Left to right:
Illinois #127 at 2 1/2 inches
Tony Miller #2 at 2 1/2 inches
Strop by Damon at 2 3/4 inches
Dovo Russian Extra Wide at 3 1/8 inches
All my strops are great but that Dovo is my newest and has a special place in my shaving shrine. :tongue_sm
Ernest

proxy.php

My first was a Dovo 3 1/8" like Ernest's and I just recently purchased one of Tony Miller's 3" Latigo's......I very much prefer the wider strops....and hones!

Well I'll be different. I prefer narrow ones. I have several vintage strops 2.5 inches and two TMs a 2.5 inch heirloom and a wider horse and though the horse it a primo strop, in general there is more of a problem with cupping with wider strops. If you use an X motion while stropping the width is immaterial.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Wider is faster and easier, narrower works just as well with ajust a tad more effort. Many insist that the X-pattern is important and to me at least the 2 1/2" width looks right.

That said though hanging on my bathroom wall are a pair of 3" strops simply because I have not worn them out yet after making them as prototypes for my Paragon and Artisan models.

Tony

I prefer wider strops i started out with a 2" Dovo now using a 2 1/2" Illinois and will hopefully soon be ordering a 3" artisan red latigo strop.

Swiftsteel

I want to get that DOVO 3 1/8" but it doesnt have the linen/canvas side. Is that necessary anyway? Also, is 3" wide enough to go straight back and forth without the X?

Top Bottom