What's new

Few questions about my new Gustin Jeans

First things First-- These things are tight... really tight. I remember my 501 STF being tight at first, but I don't remember them being like this. I went by their measurements pretty exactly, so i don't know if its just my body type? Is there hope on the horizon?

Secondly-- Has anybody gotten theirs hemmed? I don't really know how much I'm digging this roll. The inseam was so long that when rolled up it looks like I have a massive tube around my ankles. Any special way to roll them up? Any suggestions to make to the tailor (stitching, length, etc...) if I do hem them?

Anything else I should I know from you denim heads out there?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I've had a few jeans hemmed before. But my momma did it. If done correctly you wont notice it. Many dry cleaners do tailoring as well so check out a few joints.
They should measure you before they do the hem.

back in the day I did the "pin roll". Pinch 1 inch or so of the jean before you roll em up.

Last edited by a moderator:
My first pair of Gustin jeans were really really tight (could barely button them up), if you can handle it, the break in will last about 10 to 15 wears, after that they should be stretched and fit like a nice leather glove. My jeans are still very snug (just a touch restrictive) after 6 months but not uncomfortable. They are wearing in great. I have since bought a size up and the results are better. They were fine to wear from the beginning without the stuffed sausage feeling.

But in the end it is hard to say I like both the tight and the looser fit, kinda depends on what I am doing and how I feel!

If you are hemming them I think the recommendation is to wash them before hemming to shrink first, or better yet get them hemmed a little long to accommodate any shrinkage. FYI the jeans should not shrink much because they are Sanforized.

okay no more shrinkage and sausage tighty talk...

I know the feeling. I have a couple pairs of Gustins waiting for me to lose a few inches in the waist. I was overly optimistic when I ordered them. And when they do fit I'll be making the same decision to get them hemmed.

I know the feeling. I have a couple pairs of Gustins waiting for me to lose a few inches in the waist. I was overly optimistic when I ordered them. And when they do fit I'll be making the same decision to get them hemmed.

I'm right there with ya. Sadly I got the biggest ones they make, and it was a harsh remind that I'm bigger than the average bear. Thankfully my 501's will tide me over.

I got a pair from one of their initial runs (Standard, #11) in a 33, a size up from normal 32 and WOW were they tight. It took me about 2 weeks of walking around NYC, which is a lot of walking, to get them broken in. After that initial shock, I've purchased a few more and find them to be the best value for selvedge I've found. I've never gotten any hemmed though so nothing to add there.

I got a pair from one of their initial runs (Standard, #11) in a 33, a size up from normal 32 and WOW were they tight. It took me about 2 weeks of walking around NYC, which is a lot of walking, to get them broken in. After that initial shock, I've purchased a few more and find them to be the best value for selvedge I've found. I've never gotten any hemmed though so nothing to add there.

Do you think that the more you wear them the more they will stretch, to the point that they will fit perfect, or do you think they will eventually hit the wall and go no more? I am looking at backing some, and just worry about the fit.... Thanks....

Just curious, did you get the same size (33) in the subsequent pairs that you purchased after your "initial shock"? Would you say that the size 33's were the ideal size for you?

Ben

Top Bottom