What's new

Anyone familiar with this?

First off, I am a DE safety guy but I have always wanted a cool Straight Razor. I found this double duck goldedge in a local antique shop and was wondering if it is worth the cost. It has some nicks on the edge, as shown in the Pic, and I am not sure if that can even be repaired and if so wouldn't know where to send it. The rivets also appear to be a bit loose and has an overall flimsy feel. The razor is only $40. Should I go get her and have her restored to her original glory? If so, by who? would it be more cost effective to just buy one in better shape or is this a real steal worth my money? How should I proceed?

I would buy it at that price and clean it up hone out the chips and use it. you might also try offering a bit less. I usually dicker with antique shops, sometimes I get a deal and sometimes not.the pins can be tightened up abit using an old spoon and lightly tapping them. lightly you aren't trying to drive a nail. just light taps and check often.

What is your goal? If you just want to learn how to shave with a straight, there are less expensive razors available from members and hobbyists on the forum that won't need any work to make them shave ready. I'm not sure what a full restore on the DD would cost, but unless there's a reason you want that razor, there are other alternatives available.

Top Bottom