What's new

A Good Tweed Jacket

Since it's summer and people are clearing out closets, I've been hunting around for a tweed jacket for the fall before prices go up. I'm trying to dress a bit more "adult" now that I have a newborn in the house and I think an all around "nice" jacket that's both upscale and dress down capable is a good place to start. However, I'm not familiar with any of the brands I'm seeing. I do know I would like reputable wool like Harris but not much else. Any recommendations on what to look for?

I'd be interested to follow this as well. I've been kind of wanting a tweed jacket without breaking the bank. I've read that they pop up on ebay for good prices, but don't really know what to look for.

I also need to find a source for a small/thin burgundy bow tie as well :001_cool:

I read the same thing about them on eBay and thrift stores as well but I have no clue what's quality and what's a bit more pricey just because of the brand. I have a few on found on eBay I'm watching but afraid to buy before I have a better idea on what's worth the money.

I am in my 30’s with a small brood of children. On a bit of a budget so I buy my tweed and sports jackets at the second hand shop. Usually under the thirty dollar mark.

As for brands Harris tweed is the most recognizable but I would not get hung up on brands.

look for material. Look at the small white tag inside the inside pocket that tells you what it’s made of, what its size is and how to clean the thing, and if its wool, silk or some combination it’s all good.

Second I would check to see where the material comes from. That’s the big label showing on the inside chest of the jacket it should tell you the mill/company the cloth came from and where it is located. I would not get hung up on where it came from. I have a nice greenish wool/silk jacket that came from Italy. Nice light and great for summer. At the same time all my other tweed has some from Scotland or Ireland.

The style and cut of tweed jackets has not changed much over the years. This is why I have had no desire to buy one brand new. Just make sure it fits you.

Hope that helps some.

Johnny

BTW if you can swing it I would leave a tweed jacket at your desk at work (if you work in an office). That way you can put it on when it’s a little chilly and you look professional doing it. That’s what I do.

Harris Tweed or Donegal Tweed refers to the fabric,
Harris Tweed handwoven in the Scottish Western Isles (no just Harris). any garment made from Harris tweed will have a label with the official logo, the number on the corner identifies the weaver.

proxy.php

there is some basic information at this link http://www.poor-boy.co.uk/info/10-quick-facts-about-harris-tweed

Donegal tweed is handwoven in Ireland but doesn't appear to have as stringent brand control.

Both a extremely hard-wearing and can be found in great shape in thrift and second hand stores.
A tip for fast searching in a thrift store - run your hand along the shoulders of the jackets hanging on the rack; tweed has a distinctive texture that you easily recognize amongst the typical polyester. I've stuck gold a couple of times doing this, and a number that were the wrong size.

+1 re: Harris Tweeds. Brooks Brothers also has nice tweed jackets, but they are quite pricey. eBay would probably be the most affordable place to look.

Thanks everyone. I've seen a few Harris (what I was initially looking for) and have expanded my search to include Donegal as well. I'd like to find one with a surgeon's cuff because functional buttons are pretty cool but without wearing the jacket before buying, it might be tough on ebay since not much can be done by a tailor if it doesn't fit just right - even with measurements.

Do you all find 2 button or 3 button to be best for everyday wear?

... Do you all find 2 button or 3 button to be best for everyday wear?
That varies from person to person and jacket to jacket, not to mention personal taste. The only way you can find out is to try them on in person, in front of a mirror (and maybe a friend with a critical eye and a willingness to be honest).

Oh, thought you were looking for the suit maker, not just the fabric. Harris tweed is very nice and hardwearing. My Harris tweed jacket is a Stafford by JCPenney bought sometime back from ebay. Many makers put together Harris tweed coats. If you were looking at new you might consider some place like this http://www.harristweedandknitwear.co.uk/shop_pages/mensharristweedjackets.htm. If used, perhaps some place like this http://www.tweedmansvintage.co.uk/. Then, of course, there is ebay. If you are going to order "sight unseen", be careful to get all your measurements. Somewhere I had a reference to a good guide, but cannot find it at the moment.

Edit: this is not the measurement guide I thought I had, but perhaps it will work for you http://www.tweedmansvintage.co.uk/pages/sizeguide

Last edited:
I have I think 9 Harris Jackets at this point. I really enjoy tweed in the fall and could not be happier with the ones I have. A few were my fathers but the rest were found at a some what unassuming place. The salvation army, I have found that they often have a great selection of tweed that no one wants. Here is my theory, when old people pass away their family, in an attempt to clean out the house donates all the clothing. Old people love tweed and thus many great and lightly worn tweed ends up at the salvation army. Check one out if you have one locally, you may be pleasantly surprised. I once found an unworn London Fog Trench Coat there for $5.

Regards
Dave

@graysonhenryrussell what is the cost associated with something MTM? I'd be open to spending the money if I'm going to wear it for 20 years.

I've been checking the thrift stores a lot lately but I'm not finding much, probably due to seasonality. I'm hoping to see more as the summer wears down.

Depends on who you get to make the jacket. I would use samuelsohn & cost is probably north of a grand. Cloth you choose is going to factor in on the cost. I got a MtM from Anthony Sinclair in london two years ago & it was 900+. It was tweed, nice & heavy.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it. I want a heavy material but not too heavy as once it gets that cold I'll need something longer for the wind in NYC. I'll dig more into the fabric and see what I can learn.

Thanks for the additional site John but I think I've found the tailor I'm going to work with. Now, to figure out what wet shaving related products I'm going to have to cut back on to buy it!

Top Bottom