Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: My five pass shave, WOW!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,662

    Default My five pass shave, WOW!

    This evening I did something I thought was impossible with my fairly sensitive skin. Normally I shave in the morning but this time I decided to shave in the evening, mainly because I will not have much time tomorrow morning.

    Since I had plenty of time this evening I decided to go for a BBS shave (my normal routine is a one pass wtg shave just in order to look 'presentable' during the day).

    On the menu were;
    • Mühle pure badger brush
    • Merkur HD razor
    • Fresh Hema brand blade (Hema is a Dutch chain of department stores)
    • Taylor of Old Bond Street 'Rose' shaving cream
    • Sanex 'sensitive' ASB

    I started with a very thorough pre-shave preparation. First I made my face wet using warm water and my hands only, this took about three minutes. After that I lathered my face with my brush for another three minutes. Then I rubbed the lather in the pores with my fingers for two minutes. My pre-shave prep was completed by covering my face with a hot wet towel for four minutes (with the lather still on my face).

    After I had completed my pre-shave prep it took me five passes to get the BBS shave I was looking for (2 passes WTG, 1 pass XTG, 2 passes ATG). I finished by rinsing my face with cold water for three minutes after which I applied my ASB.

    The end result was amazing; a butter smooth skin with no nicks or cuts and hardly any irritation . WOW!

    Gents, thanks a lot for all help over the last month, my shaves get better by the day because of you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    10,361
    Images
    3

    Default

    Congrats! Feel free to celebrate your great shave by taking the day off tomorrow (with a shave that close, who would notice?)

    Then again, you'd be depriving yourself of those great products you've collected...
    Chad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, NC
    Posts
    496

    Default

    Congrats. I believe that at night gives you a closer shave than in the morning. Further more i have a theory that you beard grows when you are awake faster than when you sleep. I have yet to prove this however it seems to work well for me. Enjoy your evening shaves they are the best way to wind down.
    Nate

    [URL="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29636"]Hall of Fame[/URL]
    [URL="http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/User:Indykramer"]My wiki[/URL]

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    manchester blue uk
    Posts
    288

    Default

    i allways shave in the evening about 8.30pm but then again i do work nights DOH

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    148
    Images
    40

    Default

    Congrats! I also thought I had sensitive skin but I can easily do 3-4 passes with merkur hd. Are you happy with the sanex asb? It is sold here, too, a little cheaper than nivea.

    Vive Cuervo

    Panos

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    421
    Images
    11

    Default

    Congratulations on such a stupendous shave! Sounds like your pre-shave prep was impeccable, which is probably the best thing you can do to get a close and comfortable shave. I shave at night too, and it's usually close enough (unless I'm doing some experimenting maybe) that my face is smoother the next morning than it used to be right after my "old" (pre DE) morning cartridge shaves!
    -Schaefo

    "New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. The more truth we have to work with, the richer we become." -Kurt Vonnegut

  7. #7
    Mr. Gillette's Avatar
    Mr. Gillette is offline Nail my feet to the floor, just bring on the food, baby. P.S. - Ouch is awesome!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Howell, MI
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blade08 View Post
    This evening I did something I thought was impossible with my fairly sensitive skin. Normally I shave in the morning but this time I decided to shave in the evening, mainly because I will not have much time tomorrow morning.

    Since I had plenty of time this evening I decided to go for a BBS shave (my normal routine is a one pass wtg shave just in order to look 'presentable' during the day).

    On the menu were;
    • Mühle pure badger brush
    • Merkur HD razor
    • Fresh Hema brand blade (Hema is a Dutch chain of department stores)
    • Taylor of Old Bond Street 'Rose' shaving cream
    • Sanex 'sensitive' ASB

    I started with a very thorough pre-shave preparation. First I made my face wet using warm water and my hands only, this took about three minutes. After that I lathered my face with my brush for another three minutes. Then I rubbed the lather in the pores with my fingers for two minutes. My pre-shave prep was completed by covering my face with a hot wet towel for four minutes (with the lather still on my face).

    After I had completed my pre-shave prep it took me five passes to get the BBS shave I was looking for (2 passes WTG, 1 pass XTG, 2 passes ATG). I finished by rinsing my face with cold water for three minutes after which I applied my ASB.

    The end result was amazing; a butter smooth skin with no nicks or cuts and hardly any irritation . WOW!

    Gents, thanks a lot for all help over the last month, my shaves get better by the day because of you!
    That's a good prep. Now...I'd challenge you to do a 5 pass shave with ANY "pre-shave" product, minimal prep, and see what your face felt like afterward.

    WATER + HEAT, two easily procured things we use too little of!

    Congrats...GOOD PREP!!!
    "I'd wish you good luck, but the good ones don't need it and all the luck in the world won't help the bad ones."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sandy Springs, GA
    Posts
    244

    Default

    All I know I am going to try that prep tonight when I shave, because it sounds like pure heaven. Congrats on the great shave!

  9. #9
    Mr. Gillette's Avatar
    Mr. Gillette is offline Nail my feet to the floor, just bring on the food, baby. P.S. - Ouch is awesome!!!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Howell, MI
    Posts
    3,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grayraven View Post
    All I know I am going to try that prep tonight when I shave, because it sounds like pure heaven. Congrats on the great shave!
    It's very VERY close, to Kyle's Sticky in the pre-shave prep. I do a similar prep each morning, and it's well worth the effort, both in terms of comfort and in result.
    "I'd wish you good luck, but the good ones don't need it and all the luck in the world won't help the bad ones."

  10. #10

    Default

    are the hema brand blades anny good? i have a pack of them, but haven't tried them yet. they are kinda cheap (1,30 for 10) for a "real store" (also the only store in NL where i could find em)

    edit: gograts on the great shave
    -

  11. Default

    Five passes ...this is a sickness ( haha ) congrats .
    michael m

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,662
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarzan View Post
    Congrats! I also thought I had sensitive skin but I can easily do 3-4 passes with merkur hd. Are you happy with the sanex asb? It is sold here, too, a little cheaper than nivea.

    Vive Cuervo

    Panos
    Sanex is a very good ASB in my opinion, at least as good as any Nivea ASB. In the ASB segment, Nivea used to have a monopoly, it was the cheap 'go-to' ASB for many men. Sanex entered the market only a few years back but is now pretty much equal to Nivea. I guess this also has to do with the fact that they sponsor a famous Dutch swimmer who won a few medals at the Olympics a few years ago and who is very popular over here.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,662
    Thread Starter

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swartzkip View Post
    are the hema brand blades anny good? i have a pack of them, but haven't tried them yet. they are kinda cheap (1,30 for 10) for a "real store" (also the only store in NL where i could find em)

    edit: gograts on the great shave
    I paid €1,35 for a 10 pack at Hema. They're pretty good and comparable to Derby.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    570
    Images
    16

    Default

    Wow... that prep seemed like your were preparing to shave in the olypics, lol. Nice... I think I might try some of those concepts. Congratz on the BBS shave!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    I don't know...............
    Posts
    851
    Images
    1

    Default

    BBS is awesome, isn't it?

    Congrats!
    Brent

    If you shoot at mimes, should you use a silencer?
    Steven Wright

    A bartender is just a pharmacist
    with a limited inventory

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blade08 View Post
    I paid €1,35 for a 10 pack at Hema. They're pretty good and comparable to Derby.
    1,35 could be :), i'll load them up next time.
    -

Similar Threads

  1. 1 Pass Shave!
    By plpenn in forum Double Edged Razors
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 04:16 PM
  2. First 4 pass shave
    By Ihorn in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2011, 06:12 AM
  3. First 2-pass DE shave
    By Cynomys in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-28-2010, 07:21 PM
  4. 3 1/2 pass shave
    By JPM in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
  5. First Four Pass Shave
    By TPeroda85 in forum Shave Clinic & Newbie Check-In
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By accessing Badger & Blade, you agree to abide by the Terms of Usage. You can find our Privacy Policy here.
Once submitted, any posts, images, or content become the property of Badger & Blade.
Powered by vBulletin® - Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.