What's new

hiistory of black barbershops

Great find and great article!

Now being follically challenged, there is no need for me to visit a barbershop since the ones in my town won't shave my head. I do remember my favorite though- i had to ride a bus for 30 minutes just to get there but it was worth it every time.

marty

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
midniterambler:
Thanx for sharing this historical and interesting story. :thumbsup:

As an afro-american, I grew up in black barber shops here in Conus, but also in the same token, I think it's only natural to seek out a barber who understands your hairstyle.
proxy.php

Now this may be beyond the scope of this Thread, but today's black (or hairstyle), barber shop may likely to have barbers from many nationalities and races, but to paraphrase member Terence..."it's all in skills of the barber..."cuz not just anyone can cut my hair". :001_rolle

Now, being deployed (even in the 'field'...the volunteer company barber better have some skills), or stationed overseas is another thing with the tip for looking for a barber is either from a friend (concierge perhaps
proxy.php
), or just by waiting your turn in line and observe the barbers talents (and ask questions from other patrons). :w00t:

proxy.php
"Don't ask the barber whether you need a haircut [or shave]". Daniel S. Greenberg

Al Holder was a Barber for 77 years in Marion, Marion County, Kansas. He and his brother had the shop together and later he ran it by himself until he died. He was respected and well-liked in a town and county where there were very few African Americans or other minorities and he was a man of considerable means in that area.

I would love to see the article in the Illustrated London News that the illustration belongs to. Is the man in the chair who the barber's working on black?

If you get a chance, search Youtube, "Coming to America" barbershop scenes. Although exaggerated characters, there is a little truth in these clips as I recall.

Top Bottom