What's new

Merkur and Derby blades

I'm new to DE shaving, and started with the Merkur blade that came with my HD. I got a decently close shave in two passes, but with some overall irritation. Perhaps I've got to watch the angle I'm holding the razor at, but I also wanted some feedback on the difference I might expect with a Derby blade. Ten Derbys came with the order, as well as some more Merkurs.

Thanks.

Jay

I've only used Merkurs, Derby's and the cheapo blades from WalMart. Derby's are my favorite by far. They tend to give me a much closer shave than the Merkurs with less irritation.

I certainly prefer Derby blades to Merkur blades. Keeping all other variables the same, when I made the switch from Merkur blades to Derbys and Gillettes I now no longer have irritation on my neck, which I was having a problem with. Merkurs just feel kinda rough to me, almost scratchy, if that's possible. The more tender parts of my face feel much better after shaving with a Derby than with a Merkur. But I really can't tell a difference closeness wise.

I like Derbys as well, but in my experience, the Personna blades from Wal-Mart aren't terrible. I much prefer Derbys, but if I am out of blades, I'll go to Wal-Mart and pick up a pack without any qualms.

I certainly prefer Derby blades to Merkur blades. Keeping all other variables the same, when I made the switch from Merkur blades to Derbys and Gillettes I now no longer have irritation on my neck, which I was having a problem with. Merkurs just feel kinda rough to me, almost scratchy, if that's possible. The more tender parts of my face feel much better after shaving with a Derby than with a Merkur. But I really can't tell a difference closeness wise.

Scratchy is a good way to put it.

My 2 Merkur razors came with still-wrapped Merkur blades, so I tried them. I didn't like them at all, very rough shave. Then a Muhle razor came with a wrapped Derby, so I tried that. Great shave and it lasted a week - I probably could have squeezed 8 or 9 days out of it. I bought a hundred and I'll be sticking with them.

I found Merkurs to be inconsistent. Some were great, some were considerably less than great. In contrast, the Derbys are very, very consistent; don't think I've had a bad one yet.

I initially had good results with Merkur blades, but Derbys have proven to be more consistent and sharper. I have less skin irritation. They're also quite inexpensive compared to the Merkurs.

I liked Merkur blades when I first tried them, still do. But I found that Derby's are also just as good if not better.

I much prefer Derby over Merkur. They are much shaper and more forgiving for a closer more comfortable shave. They work well in any razor I pop them in. I always recommend them for newbies and even seasoned vets to wet shaving.

J

Jarmo P

Derby of course gets my nod. They are my daily blade. And in my opinion are a nice compromise of sharpness but still gentle on my skin. A good moisturization and lather are needed as always of course with Derbys.

I have had a Gillette swede loaded on my Progress over a week, but had not shaved with it. It is a razor I seldom use and have reduced the daily shaving variables to Merkur HD and Derby, alternating with 2 brushes. Swedes are good blades too though.

Derbys are a popular blade on this site. To me, Derbys hands down are my least favorite blades. They seem too dull. I have tried many Derby blades but always have to do an extra pass or two before I am remotely happy with the shave. I haven't had this problem with Merkurs, Crystals, Personnas, Swedes, or Feathers. I guess to each his own.

I've been trying a Derby out of my sampler pack for the last few days, and while they're certainly decent, mild, inexpensive and plentiful, I find that I just can't get the close shave I'm looking for.

They're certainly able to give me a half decent shave without irritation, but I think I did better with Gillette Swedes.

Of course... your milage may vary. I've learned that in my short time here. :)

J

Jarmo P

Could be lather problems, beard preparation etc. for the shave. In the end it comes to how our face looks and feels after the shave.
No razor burns or irritation to me with Derbys. That is why my Feathers stay in storage but not used.

Top Bottom