What's new

how much tequila is to much to add to a non alcoholic margerita mix

and should i have bought a different kind of tequila or does it matter

i bought el jimador anejo tequila and a bottle of jose cuervo mango margerita mix and added 4 oz's of tequila to a full glass of margerita mix but it seems like the tequila flavor overpowers the mango flavor in the margerita

i know when i bought some Sauza tequila that came with a margerita mix i added 4 oz's of tequila and it tasted fine but that wasnt anejo tequila and it wasnt 100 percent agave

Your main problem is using Margarita mix...yuck!

But yes, IMO you SHOULD be able to taste the liquor base in almost any mixed drink. But if you want the drink to be weaker, there is no reason to put less tequila and more mix. Adjust to your taste.

The tequila you bought is good, but to have a more subtle flavor, you might want an un-aged version. Anejo means "old" or in this case "aged" in Spanish. Blanco or Silver would be fine for any Margarita.

1.5 oz Tequila
1 oz triple sec
0.5 oz fresh lime juice

Voila, Margarita. Enjoy and skip the mix.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
1.5 oz Tequila
1 oz triple sec
0.5 oz fresh lime juice

This.

Feel free to play around with the ratios until you find what you like. You can start with one part triple sec (or cointreau or grand marnier) with two parts tequila, and adjust the lime to taste. A splash of simple syrup or agave syrup can help to smooth it out.

And save the anejo for sipping straight. Margaritas go better with a bright, assertive blanco.

I do not recommend anejo tequila in any margarita. Blanco or reposado is fine, though.

hmm,so what about something like this

http://tequila.findthebest.com/l/306/Lunazul-100-Agave-Reposado-Tequila

they have a Blanco tequila also.but there reposado sounded pretty good on their webpage

The longer oak aging anejo tequila gets, gives it a more woody character, more suited to sipping. Reposado or blanco is lighter and mixes better in a Margarita. Personally, I generally choose to use a blanco, as it has more agave up front, but reposado is also fine.

I recommend Milagro Blanco, but have been using Kirkland Silver (from Costco) for my Friday Margaritas. I tried it on a whim and was amazed that it was good in a margarita. I can also recommend Familia Camarena, especially the reposado, if you can find it. This is a budget tequila that is a real sleeper.

For more information and a ton of reviews, try tequila.net. A wonderful site devoted to agave spirits.

There are probably more tequila brands and styles than there are shaving soaps, so good luck on your tequila quest. And remember, there is no such thing as "the best" tequila; only ones you like.

Edit: Oh, and loose the mix. Standard recipe (already given above) 3-2-1 (3 parts tequila, 2 parts triple sec, 1 part fresh lime juice)

Last edited:
i guess in terms of the margerita thing.it doesnt have to be just for that,thats just all i really know thats good to mix with tequila.ive seen recipes of tequila mixed with stuff like coca cola or orange juice also

1.5 oz Tequila
1 oz triple sec
0.5 oz fresh lime juice

Indeed. Shaken and strained, of course: no blended margaritas, thank you.

FWIW, a margarita is a 'sour', made with strong, sour and sweet components in the classic proportions. A Daquiri, a whiskey sour are other examples.

I follow David Embury's proportions - he wrote "The Fine Art Of Mixing Drinks", which is still one of the greatest ever cocktail tomes.

He recommends proportions of 8 parts strong, 2 parts sour, and one part sweet. This really lets the Tequila dominate, with just enough tempering from the lime and Triple Sec (or Cointreau if you are being extravagant) to work. I sometimes use equal parts lime and Triple Sec, but definitely let it remain a dry drink.

Top Bottom