What's new

Check-In and suggestions request

Hi All,

I've recently been directed to this site (my housemate is a long term member on here). He has also given me some introduction and direction to straight razors, and I've been using a loaner blade for a couple of weeks which has been fine so far.

I'm looking to buy my own now, and have been spending time looking though the alternatives. I don't mind paying more, if I can get exactly what I want. Of course everyone is different and what suits one person may not interest the next.. What I don't want to do is grab one that isn't quite what I'm after and end up flipping it in a few months. I'm 95% sure that I'm after a TI over a Dovo (or other brand including vintage razors) for the time being as I much prefer the styles and finishes that I have seen so far on the TIs. I don't really want to go into restoring an old blade just yet either. I understand what "Shave ready means" ;) I'm sure my housemate can help with that if necessary.

With that in mind, I'm open to suggestions since delving into the history and multiple variations of finish etc is somewhat time consuming, especially with so many like minded people who are more familiar with what is available.

The closest I've come to one I really like is here: http://Thiers-Issard Straight Razor 6/8" Phoenix Bone 1884 La Legende

I really like the simplicity of this one; not too much decoration on the blade itself (gold wash doesn't really do it for me) and I love the birds engraving on the spine. I find the scales to my taste as well. I don't really like plastic scales.

The only two things I am somewhat hesitant about are:

1. Would a 6/8 size suit? Most of what I have read so far suggests the more common 5/8 size
2. Can anyone find one identical but with mirrored finish, instead of satin? (That said, if someone can convince me that mirrored would be awful for some reason, I may reconsider this).

Thanks!

Welcome to B&B, my first razor was a 6/8 and I found that size to be just about ideal for me but that is such a personal thing, 5/8 is also popular. My suggestion would be to purchase one of each, it is quite common for new shavers to be a little hard on their first razors edge and it's not uncommon for that first razor to need a honing sooner rather than latter so with two razors you will have a razor to shave with while the other is out being honed. It sounds like you have a mentor in your housemate so your learning curve may be accelerated so honing right away may not be an issue but at some point that razor will need to be honed and the turnaround time is usually a couple of weeks.
I too thought as you do not wanting to purchase razors that I might not be happy with in the future and I did not plan on owning very many, well as others may know that didn't last long and now I have many to choose from and I can say I'm not unhappy about purchasing any of them. A start has to be made and purchasing a couple of different sizes and styles will give you some idea what you will like long term. Some like round points while others may prefer square or french points, barbers notched, or smiling blades, and then there are the different grinds. I don't say this to try to add to any confusion just to say that at first I really didn't know what I wanted and I just needed to start by getting a couple of good str8s and using them, then trying others to find what I really like and that journey has been awesome.

Hello and welcome to B&B. This is a great forum full of friendly, helpful shavers. You'll learn a lot here. You already have some great recommendations for straight razors.

Just a few quick pics to show you all. Not had chance to shave with it yet, although I'm going to do that later today.

$GRAY0013.jpg$GRAY0014.jpg$GRAY0016.jpg$GRAY0019.jpg$GRAY0021.jpg

Top Bottom