What's new

healthy snack help.

what are some healthy snacks you can buy from a store like raleys, safeway, walmart etc.? i eat too much junk food snacks so i need a healthier substitute since i want to cut back. i'm open to any suggestions.

thanks in advance.

Fresh Blueberries. Wash and eat or wash and freeze them, then eat. A wonderful summertime snack. Otherwise any processed food=unhealthy. It is difficult to eat healthy but have a snack craving. Just not compatible IMHO.

Kale chips? Or sweet potato cut into thin discs and bakes... I love watermelon in the summer. Or dragon fruit with some frozen yogurt.

I love fresh fruits and crunchy veggies, but sometimes they don't cut it for a snack. Instead of reaching for chips, I eat fat free pretzels with peanut butter....just don't over do it on the pb.

Veggies and hummus is my go to for snacks. While agree veggies on their own don't always cut it I find that adding the hummus makes it much more filling. On a plus side, hummus is very easy to make yourself at home!

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Seedless white and red grapes, Greek yogurt, homemade trail mix of pecans, walnuts, cashews, shelled pistachios, dark chocolate chips, raisins. Put trail mix in a sandwich baggie and carry it in my briefcase, same with the grapes.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Dates
Popcorn
Dark chocolate covered raisins
Chocolate/strawberry/ vanilla protein shake
Frozen grapes
Strawberry/banana Kefir
Okra Chips
Whole Fruit
Celery with chocolate flavored hazelnut butter
Zucchini Chips
Mixed Nuts

I love fresh fruits and crunchy veggies, but sometimes they don't cut it for a snack. Instead of reaching for chips, I eat fat free pretzels with peanut butter....just don't over do it on the pb.

Veggies and hummus is my go to for snacks. While agree veggies on their own don't always cut it I find that adding the hummus makes it much more filling. On a plus side, hummus is very easy to make yourself at home!

I snack on this stuff as well.

Skinny people like things that are crunchy, fatter people like things that are gooey. So fill your diet with crunchy things.
celery sticks with some American Neufchatel cheese. Tastes just like cream cheese with 1/3 less fat.
Cubes of mild cheddar cheese.
Sticks of mozzarella cheese
shredded cheese sprinkled on plain popcorn
Crackers with cheese slices.

Did I mention i like cheese.

I've recently been addicted to roasted chickpeas. They don't save the best as they get less crunchy a few hours after being out of the oven. I think if you roast them for long enough they will stay crunchy though.

Simple weekend or home snack.

1 can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
-drain can and dry chickpeas on a towel. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet. Toss in a bit of oil. Add salt and any other spice that suits your fancy. Cumin and curry powder are awesome. Roast for about 40 min at 400F, shaking the pan every once and a while.

Nice tasty healthy crunchy snack. Chickpeas are really good for you.

sunflower seeds, make sure you measure out the serving size though.

Air popped popcorn is pretty good and filling, just watch the toppings.

IMO the big thing to watch with snacks is serving sizes, I've found that individually wrapped packages of them are much easier to figure out versus having to measure them out.

I enjoy raw tree nuts, fresh berries, frozen seedless grapes, almond or cashew butter on an apple, and smoothies (frozen berries or other fruit mixed with yogurt in a blender).

Back when I was trying to kick the processed sweets habit I used a cup of coffee as my crutch. Every time I had a craving for something sweet I would make myself a cup of coffee instead. It worked for me.

My favorites are Almonds & Raisins. Recently I've added un-sweetend apple sauce to the mix. I'll even take down a tin of sardines w/some hot sauce! My best defense against snacking is to simply not buy the junk!

Vegetables, fruits, nuts (love almonds and unsalted nuts are the best)

Also, drink more water throughout the day and you will find you don't need to snack as much.

String cheese- its not just for kids.
Grapes- I put them in the freezer and they dont freeze all the way. They become little frozen treats that you can eat instead of ice cream.
Greek Yogurt
Cottage Cheese
Almonds- Buy in bulk from costco and roast your own in the oven.
Cereal- Makes great a great snack...you dont have to always have milk on it.
Tuna packets- I take a tuna packet everyday to work. Just need a fork and I can eat it right out of the pouch. Only 70 calories but around 17 grams of protein. I usually throw some hot sauce on top of it.

Top Bottom