What's new

Blade endurance

I was talking to my wife about shaving and had put some double edge blades in our amazon shopping cart. I had put in the Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum and also the Astra, figuring I would choose later, 100 packs of each. The Astra is eligible for subscribe & save and also free shipping, while the 7 O'clock is not eligible for either. This makes the Astra considerably cheaper and I tried one this morning and found it satisfactory. So I suggested to my wife that we put it on our subscribe & save for one pack of a hundred every six months, basically using a blade for 2 days, one shave per day.

This was incomprehensible to her that a blade would only last for 2 shaves. She buys the cheapest generic plastic disposable razor available, usually in a pack of 5, and one razor lasts her about 4 months for shaving her legs and armpits. A pack of five basically will last her the rest of her life. Also, the only thing she uses for lubrication is cheap bar soap, she does not need any fancy creams or shave soap or brushes etc.

Thus arises the question. Why will my Astra double edge razor blade not last for 4 months? What gives? Why do I need a forum about shaving, a brush that costs a days pay, more soaps and creams than fit into my cabinet?

Everyones results are different or "YMMV" as they usually say here. I can easily make a blade last a month (shaving every day), sometimes two, but the average at B&B member seems to get around 3-7 shaves if you look at the various polls that have been done.

i think its safe to say that just because they're considerably cheaper than cartridges we just prefer to use new blades. i could drag a shark stainless out for a month, but why would i do that when i have 400 of them? cartridges are different. too expensive for some, and just makes more sense to stretch them.

Blades are much different than brushes and creams and soaps :lol: One can theoretically use a dull blade to shave their face, but I wouldn't enjoy it. Blades (Astras in particular) are so cheap and good that I wouldn't consider using one longer than what is absolutely most comfortable. That being said, I usually choke and go 3 shaves on a blade because the last one can be had comfortably with a little finesse.

That and the whole face vs. legs argument... oh dear, don't know where to get started on that one. Inherently sensitive vs. potentially tough as nails--each can handle different levels of dull before varying levels of irritation appear. It's all a matter of habit and your wife is either very frugal or very used to dull razors!

So I guess the answers to your questions are likely the standard "YMMV" and "To each their own". Don't think too much about it and enjoy it!

P.S. A good boar will cost much less than a day's pay :thumbup1: Can't say the same about my Badgers, but I love them dearly :blushing:

+1 shaving legs and armpits are completely different from shaving your face.

How long would you use the same cartridge razor on your face - that is the comparison if you want to look at cost.

As far as the brush goes, I got a vdh starter kit from Walgreen's - brush, bowl, and soap - and that was right at $10. Works perfectly for me - if I ever get a luxurious brush it will simply be for the fun of it.

If DE shaving becomes expensive it isn't because it has to be.

Top Bottom