What's new

Should I attempt to r/r the knot?

I had a brush made by Wolf Whiskers and the handle is very nice. The knot however, I just don't care for. It is a TGN Super Badger and it is scritchier than my my other brush that is a TGN Finest Badger (two band.). I thought that the Super Badger being silvertip would have softer tips than my two band, but it isn't at all. No fault lies with Mr. Wolf here, the handle is beautiful, and I chose the knot for him to install.

Any thoughts or opinions regarding removing the old knot, obviously destroying the knot and hopefully not damaging the handle?

Any thoughts or opinions regarding the replacement knot? I am thinking of a TGN Silvertip Premium.

Best just to live with it as is or put it up on BST?

Previously I had a Whipped Dog Silvertip that I loved the feel of, but it was a lil big for me, and a bit of a shedder that was kind of annoying. I may even just get another in a more reasonable size, and hope it doesn't shed, or learn to live with it if it does. It's just hair right:blink:...

There is always a risk when removing a knot that you may damage the handle. Part of the issue may be what was used to the the knot. I was trying to re-knot a VDH Badger and chipped a piece off the side while trying to dig out the very hard adhesive they used.

That said, I have succeeded with removing several other knots with no drama at all.

Before you do anything else though, you may give the brush more time to see if it will soften up. Badgers seem to take longer that boars to do so, if they do at all. For example, I have a 22 mm black badger that softened up over about a three month period, but still not soft enough to suite my taste and I have since replaced it with a two band finest. I also have a travel brush that started life with what I considered to be too large of a handle. It was a 16 mm Silvertip. I tired of the tiny knot sitting on top of the large handle, so I bought another nearly identical knot and made a smaller diameter handle for it and set the knot with a bit more loft. I liked that, but kept staring and (and using in rotation) the fat handled brush, so I finally purchased a Virginia Sheng 18 mm knot for it, and set it at 45 mm loft (instead of 40 mm that the original knot had).

To my surprise, the Virginia Sheng knot was a bit scritchy, but I have used it anyway, lathering it and applying the first pass lather for about a month, and it has softened to a reasonable level. I'm traveling with that brush now.

YMMV

Good advice to give it more time. You might even try a softening conditioner.

What is the handle made out of? If it is modern acrylic resin and you decide to reknot, steam might be an option.

Handle is resin, I am not sure of the glue, but I would have used epoxy, and it is popular I'm thinking that is what was used.

I'll give it some more time, it only has 18-20 lathers on it but I like my two band so much better, and the Whipped
Dog was perfect.

Top Bottom