What's new

First Impressions by Toothpick: Gillette Guard

I was always under the impression these were designed for head shaving. Not that it matters. If it gets the job done, then even better.

I've been curious to give these a try as well, just to say I tried them, if nothing else. I've never heard a bad review of them over all, which is pretty amazing.

OK, I was convinced to finally pull the trigger one some to try. The popular auction site has some great looking deals on them, super cheap with free shipping for like 2 razors and 16 replacement carts.

I've had one for a few months now. It does give a decent shave, but the lightness of the razor makes me want to push really hard, and in turn I get some cuts. I have to stay focused and apply no pressure and it works great.

Only thing, after my last 2 week trip, I was SO ready to get back to my DE shaves though.

The cartridges do seem to last though. I was getting 7 days out of 1 cartridge. First shave as good as the 7th!

OK, I was convinced to finally pull the trigger one some to try. The popular auction site has some great looking deals on them, super cheap with free shipping for like 2 razors and 16 replacement carts.

I am very interested to hear what you think. I have been burned before when ordering "genuine, 100% authentic" cartridges from eBay. It was my first (and last attempt) at trying to get cheap Gillette cartridges. Needless to say, I am very leery of ordering these types of goods from the internet.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Did you have to apply some pressure when using this cart? I use the Guard when I travel but it is a bit challenging for me to get the BBS which I normally get using a DE razor.
I had to apply slight pressure. There is no weight to it so just letting gravity do the work wouldn't accomplish much. It doesn't require much though.
What's a good source for these, are you folks that use them just getting them off the 'bay?
That's where I got mine from. West Coast Shaving also sells them at a very reasonable price. Tag them on to something else for free shipping.
Very nice review! I will definitely check this out for my travel needs. I am especially happy to see that it does not include one of those horrific "lube" strips. I hate those things...
HATE any lube strip!

That's the deal I'm going to order. Let us know what you think of it!

What's a good source for these, are you folks that use them just getting them off the 'bay?

I get mine at Italian Barber....I use 'em for touch ups after the main razor is all cleaned up. Good for those times when you miss a spot...they're great!

I have been traveling with this razor for a couple of years. It works great and the pivot and the lather clearing are fantastic. The shaves are close though I have the perception that there is a little more stubble for the shave the next day.

I bought the 2 razor plus 16 cartridges deal for $11.48 USD (shipped) on the auction site. I was curious. They give a decent shave and rinse clean easily. If I try to go past the decent shave state, I wind up with ingrown hairs or irritation. The DE razor gives a better shave IMHO. They do seem to be well suited for travel.

Last edited:
I bought the 2 razor plus 16 cartridges deal for $11.48 USD (shipped) on the auction site. I was curious. They give a decent shave and rinse clean easily. If I try to go past the decent shave state, I wind up with ingrown hairs or irritation. The DE razor gives a better shave IMHO. They do seem to be well suited for travel.

About how long was the ship time to get those in from the ebay vendor?

$DSC06682.jpg

i like them 100x :lol:

Great review Toothpick. I use these when I travel for work (which is a lot) and am only taking carry on.
I agree with all that you've said:
Great travel option
Nice easy shave
Very light so requires some pressure
More of a DFS than BBS instrument
Less waste than a full disposable

The only real con I see with them is that if you run out of carts while traveling you can't just pop down to the shop and pick some up (unless you are traveling to India).

I find them really good for head shaves. I didn't think quite as much of the face shaves they delivered for me. Not terrible by any means, but the head shave was excellent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom