What's new

Post that sauce! Sauces used to BBQ

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Since I was able to start the BBQ (in April), I've been working on it a lot. I made a switch from propane to coal in early June and I am not trying to cook on there as much as I can. Coal works a bit differently and I mostly do indirect cooking. I quickly realised that I need a sauce (except on 1" thick steams) to go from Great to WOW on the BBQ scale.

I am now experimenting with a few sauces and having a vitamix simplify everything when it comes to make a sauce.

I made some Piri-piri the other week on chicken
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 4 bird eye chili
  • juice from 2 lemons
  • 1/2 cup of oil (grapeseed)
  • pinch of salt

Everything in the vitamix until I got all the solid into a liquid state.

It was awesome!

I also made my favourite, Cochinita pibil : http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/236743-Cooking-Challenge-Cochinita-Pibil-Puerco-Pibil

Which turned very differently (instead of pulled-pork) I had sliced pork. It was still awesome in tortillas.

So, which sauce do you use on a regular basis ? If possible, not a store bought one... :001_smile

Luc

Staff member
Can you discuss your choice of grapeseed oil as opposed to something else?

Sure, it's close to tasteless so it doesn't affect the taste much with the other ingredients and the heat smoking point is higher than olive oil. Plus, I got some at home. That's pretty much the only reason why I used that.

I have a bunch of recipes and books, and I've tried a number of them. But I have to admit that most of the time I'm lazy with BBQ sauce and end up doctoring store-bought sauce. For pulled pork I like Sweet Baby Ray's mixed with some cider vinegar, pineapple habanero jelly and black pepper.

I usually go with Sweet Baby Rays for "regular BBQ" sauce, but when I make ribs, the family clamors for my Apple BBQ Sauce.
It delicious, and simple to make. Really goes will with pork and chicken.

Apple BBQ Sauce
----------------
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
6 Tbl lemon juice
1 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Optional - crank in some hot sauce for a nice kick. I find that the chili-garlic flavor of Sriracha works well, as does a habenero-based sauce that's strong with habenero flavor, but isn't mind-meltingly hot. (Orange Krush is what I use.)

Combine all in saucepan. Bring to boil. Cool and serve on side of ribs, chicken, etc.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Great thread. Keep firing in.

There have been some good threads on this subject over the years this is a pretty good one assembled by Jim. Sadly not much made it into our Wiki. I've been clipping a lot of it into a Word doc.

Luc

Staff member

There have been some good threads on this subject over the years this is a pretty good one assembled by Jim. Sadly not much made it into our Wiki. I've been clipping a lot of it into a Word doc.

Great link, I missed that thread!

I'll try to remediate that over the next week or two.

Top Bottom