What's new

Face Mapping?

What is most efficient and accurate way to map face? Is it needed?

I have seen in a few posts that suggest to map face but I have yet to do it. I generally just shave in the N/S direction. I tend to get minor bumps at bottom of my neck. I am going through steps in hopes of eliminating them all together.

All you need is a mirror. Look at the direction of hair growth. Chances are you have a patch at the bottom of the throat that shifts direction. Next time you shave, follow it.

It might help to do a good face mapping. I think you'll find that we make a lot of assumptions on beard growth, and taking the time to do a proper mapping helped me a great deal. You mentioned that you have bumps on the lower part of your neck, and that you just generally shave in a NS direction. On the lower third of my neck around the Adam's apple and back towards both ears, a WTG stroke goes UP, to the north. Since this growth pattern is so different from the rest of my face, I shave this area first on both passes.

You can use a cotton ball passed over your stubble to get a good idea of your true growth pattern, but I just found that running a finger over areas of your face can work just as well. I really doubt that you'll be able to cover all variations of your true beard growth; I just found it to be helpful with that little problem area that I had which happened to be my lower neck. Maybe this will help you, too.

Don

$Face+Mapping.jpg

It seems like a really handy idea.... I've never done it though and shave comfortably with both straights and DE razors. So, yes it may be helpful, but don't get too worried about getting it perfect.

Let your beard grow for a couple of days, then feel your face in circular motions with your fingertips. You will be able to see which direction your beard grows on each quadrant of your face.

I don't bother with a locked-in final beard map. Kind of boring. Between each pass, I run my fingertips over my mug, figure out where the stubble remains and in which direction it leans, and then shave in the opposite direction.

Too OCD for me. Pay attention and the efficacy of every single pass will be obvious. Adapt and modify your shave accordingly. Too easy.

You may find it beneficial, maybe not everywhere but check out that area of your neck that gets irritated. I had the same problem awhile back, in the same area. It went away after I mapped my beard and found out that the hair on the last 2 inches or so of my neck grows towards my ears on either side. Since I have started going with the actual grain in that area the irritation has cleared up.

I went somewhere in the middle - I hadn't shaved for 2 days so there was something there to get the feel of, then just ran a finger over to get the general feel - no pictures or anything, but enough to realise some strange things are going on with my neck, for example - the top half of the neck grows downwards and outwards, while the lower half grows upwards and outwards. Knowing this has helped me to reduce irritation a great deal.

I think it is worthwhile to do, but not in an overly OCD fashion if you don't feel up for it. Just explore the face a while.

Knowledge is good. That said, there's nothing sacred about the sequence WTG, XTG, ATG. My neck hair grows east to west--mostly--and trying to shave that way is neither comfortable nor efficacious. So my daily shave works out to something more like this: XTG, XTG (from the other direction), touch-up with J-hooking.

I worked this out while using carts, and nothing has changed just because I use a DE.

It's not OCD at all, it's more like common sense, especially if you are having problems in one area, and especially on the sensitive neck parts.
Find your growth pattern at the problem area and go WTG and XTG on it. Try to avoid ATG until you have pressure and angle locked in.

I've gotten by without beard mapping, but I can see where it could be handy if I were having issues. Since the OP is a guy who is having issues, it might be time to give the mapping a closer look.

It might help to do a good face mapping. I think you'll find that we make a lot of assumptions on beard growth, and taking the time to do a proper mapping helped me a great deal. You mentioned that you have bumps on the lower part of your neck, and that you just generally shave in a NS direction. On the lower third of my neck around the Adam's apple and back towards both ears, a WTG stroke goes UP, to the north. Since this growth pattern is so different from the rest of my face, I shave this area first on both passes.

You can use a cotton ball passed over your stubble to get a good idea of your true growth pattern, but I just found that running a finger over areas of your face can work just as well. I really doubt that you'll be able to cover all variations of your true beard growth; I just found it to be helpful with that little problem area that I had which happened to be my lower neck. Maybe this will help you, too.

Don

Don has it right.

It's not OCD.
They say the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

If you are getting good shaves without a beard map, keep going. If you are having trouble without a map, make a map.

Top Bottom