What's new

The 77-year-old razor

Hello Gentlemen. This article was in the newspaper today. I managed to track it down online too. I thought you might like to see it. :lol:

The 77-year-old razor

FRUGAL pensioner George Millar has been using the same razor every day for 77years - and insists it is still a cut above the rest.

New designs have come and gone, but none has lured George away from his trusty bronze Gillette.

proxy.php

And he is adamant that the slogan is right - it definitely is the best a man can get.

The 93-year-old bought the razor when he was 17, paying one and sixpence (7.5p) for it.

He even has the original copper box that he bought it in, back in 1929.

Widower George, a retired engineer, moved from his home town of Clydebank to Birmingham in 1938.

He said: "I think it goes to prove that they just don't make things like they used to. This was obviously built to last.

"My skin is as smooth as it was the day I bought it. I've never been tempted by these newfangled razors. They are disposable in every sense of the word and don't last five minutes.

"Its sturdiness must have rubbed off on me because I seem to be holding up pretty well - much like the razor.

"It will outlast me anyway and I'm sure it would keep shaving just as well for another 77 years."

Article

Great article. I have a 1911 Anticor Razor, that apart from a couple of tiny rust spots on the head, is in perfect working order (if only they still made blades:001_rolle .) I think that anyone who has experience with vintage Gillettes, GEM's and Ever Ready's will agree that these older razors will probably outlive all of us as well.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
The nerve of that young whippersnapper. Why, just today I shaved with a Shumate, which was produced (with the Shumate Razor Co. insignia) between 1904 and 1919.

Only 77 years old? That young punk may as well use a Fusion.:lol:

23 skidoo.

SO RAD must be a modern invention.

It's funny really, my grandfather uses electric. He's 87 and he reckons he's tried cut throats to trac 2 and ended up reverting to electric.

Hmmm... I didn't think so either. I'm not really an expert on razors, but it didn't seem right to me. :bored: :confused:

I got that pic from another article of the same story:

click

:confused2

Jonnybc said:
SO RAD must be a modern invention.

It's funny really, my grandfather uses electric. He's 87 and he reckons he's tried cut throats to trac 2 and ended up reverting to electric.

My grandfather is the same way. He cannot believe I would want to use anything other than an electric. I, on the other hand, cannot believe he would use anything other than a safety or cut-throat razor. :biggrin:

My dad is 85 years old and uses electric because he shakes too much to shave with a bladed razor. He has tried every thing Gillette has made over the years. About 3 years ago he had to switch to electric because he just can't use a regular razor any longer.

Top Bottom