What's new

Do these look like different knots?

If so, what's the difference?
$uploadfromtaptalk1404659181996.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1404659189235.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1404659204556.jpg

Also, the one of the right dries differently. When it dries the tips stay a little stiff, almost "crusty". I can run my hand over the dry brush and soften them up though. Both brushes dry, the left one feels just a little bit softer. The right one seems to lather a little better.

They both look like Whipped Dog silvertips. I would imagine that the knots were simply from two different batches of hair.

I also wouldn't be concerned that the one knot dries a little "crusty." Some of my silvertip brushes dry similarly, and it has never affected their performance.

What's hooked tips? I'm not concerned, just want to learn what it is I like so maybe it will help with my next brush purchase.

Do the brushes have the same size knots and lofts? The left looks to be a wider diameter knot with a higher loft, although it is difficult to discern from the photo. If so, this too can affect perceived softness and performance.

Do the brushes have the same size knots and lofts? The left looks to be a wider diameter knot with a higher loft, although it is difficult to discern from the photo. If so, this too can affect perceived softness and performance.
They're both 24/45, but they sure do look a little different.

What's hooked tips? I'm not concerned, just want to learn what it is I like so maybe it will help with my next brush purchase.

In some knots some or all of the hairs have hooked tips, like this:

The hooks tend to grab each other when dry, creating the feeling you described. When wet they feel "gel-like", because the tips are curled away and cannot poke into the skin. Many brushmakers seem to produce brushes with a greater or lesser proportion of hooked tips from time to time, but no one seems to make a feature of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom