What's new

Nervous about Feather Blades

I use Derby blades right now and I certainly do like them. But there seems to be some allure to using a Feather; everyone I've spoken with about them says they're the sharpest blades on the market and will do a great job, but there is also a steep learning curve with them as they can really do a number on your face. I'm going to order some to see what they're all about, but in the meantime, can any Feather users out there give me any advice? I really don't want to slice myself up. If it helps, I use a Gillette Long Handle Adjustable.

Thanks,

Shane

Shane,

Don't let the hype fool you.

Yes, they are sharp, but they're not the beasts that everyone makes them out to be.

Use good technique, dial down your razor and take your time. Respect these blades and you won't have anything to fear.

-joedy

I tried these with almost no experience, and did not do any damage - don't worry about it at all. Just go at it like you always do with the Derbys.

Shane

Joedy said:

Yes, they are sharp, but they're not the beasts that everyone makes them out to be.

Use good technique, dial down your razor and take your time. Respect these blades and you won't have anything to fear.

Agreed, there's a lot of mystery about these blades (just like the slant bar), just buy them and use them. They might or might not work for you.

Joedy said:
Shane,

-joedy

I could not agree more -I love them,take your time and take small bites.
Relax and enjoy!

When I started with a DE, the Feathers were the first blade I used and I'm still alive. The technique suggestions that apply to all blades apply to Feathers. Use the proper angle and a light touch and you should get a good shave. However, IMHO there is less room for error with the Feathers. Get a little lazy and you'll have some blood to clean up.

Don't sweat the Feathers. Just a lot of hype from the shave-nannies that think every newbie needs to start with a dull practice razor, use it for six months perfecting blade angle, then graduate to using cream with the practice razor and perfect THAT, then, and ONLY then, graduate to using an actual razor with a blade in it, then ONLY on a setting of 1. Anything more ambitious, is considered by some to be too ambitious for a multiblade-trained shaver!

Seriously, just use them correctly and you will never notice anything but a good shave from them. Ignore the nanny-hype.

Andre

Feathers are fine blades. I find less "skipping" with them when compared to Merkurs. I've never had any facial accidents, although they will clearly show you a nasty swath of irritation if you are applying too much pressure! Overall, no reason to fear them. Give 'em a try!

I loved em for a while, then found I was getting more irritation from the Feathers with less pressure than when I used other blades. I'm now on Derbys and like them lots.

mrob said:
I loved em for a while, then found I was getting more irritation from the Feathers with less pressure than when I used other blades. I'm now on Derbys and like them lots.
I was feeling the same way( I do love Derby blades ) and then I decided to toss a Feather into my new shavemac razor, well it seems to be a match made in heaven. Just goes to show that first, or even second impressions can be wrong, or maybe I just had not stumbled upon the right combo, anyway I am now glad that I did not trade my Feathers away.
Cheers, DJ.

Thanks for everything. Since Feather Blades are on sale through Cotton Blossom Crafts again, I'll be placing and order and shaving with confidence.

Shane

Top Bottom