What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

What's a red dot Fatboy?

Edit: Never mind, I just googled it. That's a relief then, I'd assumed that one or more of you was insane but thankfully that's not the case.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase - are you planning to shave with it?
Hell yes I am going to shave with it! thats what these things are for haha! if its in nasty condition though I might have to send it off to Cap murphy. He fixed one of my fatboys that I though was damaged beyond repair.

Mike,
The Canadian NEW #77 set is one of the rarest NEWs made by Gillette. IMO the difference is in the handle whereas the head is the same as many other similar models. Here's the article: http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/The NEW/1933 Gillette No77 Canadian green bakelite.jpg

Somewhat off topic. Out of interest I clicked on your link and looked at the picture of the razor. This looks identical to the NEW LC that I have including the bakelite box (I also have the original cardboard box). How would I determine it's at #77 vice some other Canadian NEW LC?

Somewhat off topic. Out of interest I clicked on your link and looked at the picture of the razor. This looks identical to the NEW LC that I have including the bakelite box (I also have the original cardboard box). How would I determine it's at #77 vice some other Canadian NEW LC?

Can you post a picture of your set?

AFAIK, if it has the same handle it's a Canadian #77, at least that's what I think based on what I have read. This head/handle combo came in that green bakelite case, and those patent dates aren't seen on any other NEW. I'm not sure if this was actually called Canadian #77 or if it's just because it looks like the UK #77 sets ...

Wow, just went through quite a few pages in this thread and am amazed at all the different razors! Some really cool ones but man, sure is confusing for a newbie.

Can you post a picture of your set?

AFAIK, if it has the same handle it's a Canadian #77, at least that's what I think based on what I have read. This head/handle combo came in that green bakelite case, and those patent dates aren't seen on any other NEW. I'm not sure if this was actually called Canadian #77 or if it's just because it looks like the UK #77 sets ...

Same handle as mine. I don't want to hijack the thread. Perhaps I'll start a thread this weekend with pics so anyone interested can chime in on what they think.

Same handle as mine. I don't want to hijack the thread. Perhaps I'll start a thread this weekend with pics so anyone interested can chime in on what they think.

If you say it has the same handle, same head and same green bakelite box, then it's a Canadian #77.

I've only seen that handle with the Canadian #77 and a Canadian Goodwill, based on the Old Type, nickel plated.

I can't seem to figure out how to post the link, but I was watching this "Junk Drawer" auction that just ended.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417101352.638753.jpg

Looks like there was a Fatboy amongst the razors in the drawer.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417101424.624188.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417101445.052350.jpg

Probably a great deal just for the three razors!

My question is why did you just watch it? Or did you continue watching after the auction was over and now watching the tracking?

I just fell out of GRU-C and started out on the bay last week, so I have been buying way more stuff than I should be buying. Plus, with the shipping costs added in, I just couldn't justify it after having picked up a nice looking Executive. I did have a very serious internal debate about it, though! [emoji14]

Yes true but still. Course I'm a little on the frugal side.

Even if I could spend $2000 on this set, I wouldn't. IMO it's not worth that much.

It's a beautiful set though, and rare in this condition. Some guys have pretty deep pockets, so we never know.

To be fair, I don't think I've ever seen such a complete set in that condition.

I just happen to know the back story on that razor (not really).
The owner received it as a Father's Day gift in 1948. He politely thanked his well-meaning family and then kept on using his NEW LC for the next several decades. When he finally passed on, his well-worn NEW, crusted in soap scum, was quickly thrown away.
The beautiful, untouched Aristocrat was sold at an estate sale and ended up on the 'Bay.
Which one would you rather shave with?

I just happen to know the back story on that razor (not really).
The owner received it as a Father's Day gift in 1948. He politely thanked his well-meaning family and then kept on using his NEW LC for the next several decades. When he finally passed on, his well-worn NEW, crusted in soap scum, was quickly thrown away.
The beautiful, untouched Aristocrat was sold at an estate sale and ended up on the 'Bay.
Which one would you rather shave with?

:laugh:

Who knows, probably that's not too far from the true story of this set.

To shave with, which one I'd want? The NEW of course, I'd clean it up and shave away.

It's a no-brainer! :tongue_sm

It's a very beautiful set, but I'd rather buy a British Popular. Wouldn't you, Edgar?

One is enough ... for several reasons, the most important being their price and the fact that a $10 NEW still shaves circles around the Popular.

True story.

IMHO that is. :tongue_sm

Top Bottom