What's new

EBAY DIGEST: Interesting Shaving Related Recent Sales Recap

Attachments

• $$_57.jpg
    $$_57.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 1,141
So straight users help me out with this one. I see all sorts of multi-thousand dollar whetstones for sale but I look at the completed listings and I only see multi-hundred dollar sales. Are these sellers just dreaming? Here is a $20,000 dollar BIN Japanese whetstone. Sheesh!

View attachment 469634

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-na...757?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2567773d9d

that is an enormous piece of Karasu. Very highly sought after. I know of one piece of good Karasu from a well regarded seller who has it for about 900 bucks and that hone is perhaps 1/10 the size of the one you show here. So, yes, it's overpriced or it would have sold, but it's also an exceedingly unusually large example of a rare and hard to find stone. At 20k, it's silly, but at 10k you might be able to break even if you knew how to cut it properly and have one nice piece left over for yourself. At 5k, it would be gone in minutes. Hope that puts it in perspective.

that is an enormous piece of Karasu. Very highly sought after. I know of one piece of good Karasu from a well regarded seller who has it for about 900 bucks and that hone is perhaps 1/10 the size of the one you show here. So, yes, it's overpriced or it would have sold, but it's also an exceedingly unusually large example of a rare and hard to find stone. At 20k, it's silly, but at 10k you might be able to break even if you knew how to cut it properly and have one nice piece left over for yourself. At 5k, it would be gone in minutes. Hope that puts it in perspective.

Thanks for setting me straight on that Karasu. I know most of the high end products you get from Japan are super high quality; that's just their way. This is sort of the Hope diamond of Karasu. Maybe it won't have to be cut up.

$OddHope.jpg

The Darwin DE is solid steel, very cool looking, and extremely hard to find. Apparently that means you should expect to lay out some serious cash if you want to buy one, even sans case. The seller lives in Amsterdam, so now he has two things to celebrate (this sale and his national team's victory over Costa Rica).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Collec...PvpzMjRWX0wV82pnHKAzw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc
This beauty just went for roughly $592, including S/H. Was that a good deal? I don't know, but the buyer now has a Darwin and I don't, so ...
One thing I know for sure, I would rather pay $592 for a Darwin than $711 for a Roller Guard with a mismatched handle.:ohmy:
$Darwin.jpg

Sorry Doc ... the seller is from Arhem ... but ... Amsterdam and Rotterdam are sooo close, and with nearly $600 in the pocket ...

:ohmy:

Top Bottom