What's new

Ronco Rotisserie Oven

I have one. I used to use it a lot but haven't now in quite a while. It's not because I don't like it; honestly, I really don't know why I don't use it more. As far as cleaning it , it's not bad at all.

I used mine a ton and eventually wore it out (not because it's bad quality - I really used it that much). It's not hard to clean. One of the good meals I used to make with it was to get a pre-marinated pork tenderloin from the grocery store, thread it onto the rotisserie and have a really good meal in short order. Incidentally, if you are thinking about getting one, I'd also recommend getting Steven Raichlen's book "Indoor Grilling". This book is what made me get the rotisserie in the first place. Not only will you get some great recipes for your rotisserie, you'll also find out you *really* "need" some other gear for your kitchen to cook a bunch of other great man food indoors.

Enjoy it!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Don't own one, but if I did the first thing would be Gyros. Great, now I need one.

I have one and it is great. I thought with the infomercial and all that it would be junk, but it really works well - it is very simple - a small motor to turn the spit and an electric heating element. The genius is that the heating element is on the side not the bottom like in an oven, so when grease drops off whatever you are cooking, it does not get heated like it would in an oven where the heat comes from the bottom. I make chicken, roasts, and my favorite, the cheapest cut you can get - a pork shoulder (called "peril" in many butchers in NYC), which comes out with a nice crispy skin and very juicy.

My father-in-law has one. It really turns out some good food. If you get one, I would recommend some heavy duty insulated rubber gloves for handling the spit assembly when you are unloading it. The process of unloading the food is a bit awkward. Oven mitts work okay, but if hot fat/juices soak through cloth mitts, it isn't any fun.

My wife went through a couple of these. She only used it for standing rib roasts, which it did quite well. It came with a plastic base for holding the spit upright while you are loading it and some silicon gloves like Ollie recommended. One day she left all that on top of the machine while it was running and, well, you know. We ditched it when we couldn't get all the melted rubber out.

The next one was a not inexpensive Chineese knock off that she liked because it was blue, so it matched the paint scheme in the kitchen. The "instructions" were a slip of paper with a picture of a cow, fish, and chicken with a number next to each. Comparing it to the Ronco Rotisserie Oven manual I determined that to be how many minutes per pound of critter you were roasting. She never used it the thing.

She purchased another Ronco Rotisserie Oven and we used it a few times prior to her death, always for rib roasts.

The food came out OK, and I could certainly see doing rib roasts, whole chickens, or gyro meat in it. The things are expensive for no more than we used it, but if you cook a lot of what can be cooked in it it wouldn't be that bad. It didn't help that she bought three of them.

Clean up was always my job. It was't bad, as all of the parts fit into the dishwasher. It wasn't the most efficient use of space, but it worked.

Top Bottom