What's new

I like Glenmorangie...

I often drink my single malts over ice. To be sure, the best way to get to know a scotch is to sniff, sip straight, then open it up with little bit of water. Once I'm on familiar terms with a scotch, though, I don't hesitate to add ice if I'm in the mood for it (which I often am). I tend to do this more often with lower-end scotches -- Aberfeldy, for example, is wonderful on the rocks, IMO.
I've been getting to know the Aberfeldy pretty regularly this week. I have 2 glasses left in the bottle, and at least one of them will be on the rocks.

Glenmorangie is growing on me more each time I drink it. I'm excited to try HP12, but wouldn't hesitate to buy another bottle of Glenmorangie.

Currently on a month long business trip to the UK and spent last week up in the highlands. Toured 3 distilleries and Aberlour was by far my favorite. I had not tried the a'bunadh prior to the tour but it was included during the tasting and all I can say is wow! Truly fantastic stuff. Runs over $90 with tax in Chicago so depending on the prices in Heathrow might have to pick it up duty-free when heading back to this weekend
A'bundah seems to vary in character depending on the batch. If you found one you liked, try getting a bottle marked with the same batch number.

You can also try the Aberlour 15 travel exclusive if you're buying duty free from Heathrow. It's a double maturation in sherry casks and is quite elegant if you like sherry finished whisky.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Dalwhinnie, Auchentoshan, Cragganmore, Glenlivet & The Macallan.

(The second one is pronounced something like "okken-toshen".)

I wish they made a Veg Scotch.

Well, youse guys always seem to find a ready supply of Veg-flavoured Kool-aid, so it might not be that hard.

If you enjoyed the sherry finish on the Lasanta then I can highly recommend Glendronach 12 (haven't tried the 15 yo Revival version but it also has rave reviews). Stronger sherry notes than the Lasanta, less alcohol burn and quite a bit cheaper on my side of the world.
Seems the bottlings before 2014 may also be a lot older than the stated 12y since the distillery was closed for a while.

I had a bottle of Highland Park this week. It wasn't my favorite. It felt kind of "harsh" on the tip of my tongue too. I probably won't be getting it again. I had a glass of Glenlevit last night. The first sip I didn't like it, but every sip after that I did. Hmm, guess I need to try that one more. I'm thinking Glenfiddich for my next bottle. Aberfeldy is still my favorite so far though.

I had a bottle of Highland Park this week. It wasn't my favorite. It felt kind of "harsh" on the tip of my tongue too. I probably won't be getting it again. I had a glass of Glenlevit last night. The first sip I didn't like it, but every sip after that I did. Hmm, guess I need to try that one more. I'm thinking Glenfiddich for my next bottle. Aberfeldy is still my favorite so far though.

I prefer the Glenfiddich 15 to the 12 and 18.

Dalwhinnie is the only bottle I've rebought so far on my discovering whisky journey. Just the right amount of peat for me, not in your face like some.

I second the Arbelour. Awesome value, and a super approachable dram, without sacrificing any flavour or complexity. Not a peaty drop, though.

i like Glenmorangie. With a tiny drop of water. And a great IPA for a chaser.

Dalwhinnie is the only bottle I've rebought so far on my discovering whisky journey. Just the right amount of peat for me, not in your face like some.

I recevied a bottle of Dalwhinnie as a gift. I enjoyed it very much as well.

I will have to also find some Arbelour. It is competitively priced and sounds like it's worth a try since I don't favor a heavy peat scotch.

I will have to also find some Arbelour. It is competitively priced and sounds like it's worth a try since I don't favor a heavy peat scotch.
Exactly why it is one of my wife's faves: she is not a fan of super peaty drams. Have a look at Glenlivet for an everyday drop as well - a bit lighter than the Aberlour, but very approachable.

Exactly why it is one of my wife's faves: she is not a fan of super peaty drams. Have a look at Glenlivet for an everyday drop as well - a bit lighter than the Aberlour, but very approachable.

I have an unopened bottle of Glenlivet 15 that was a father's day gift, so good to know.

I've returned to blended scotch and been pleasantly surprised. Even the premium brands are inexpensive compared to single malts, and there's a remarkable range of flavors. A JW Black, Chivas or a Dewars 12yr with a touch of filtered water (or one ice cube if that's your thing) is a very, very nice drink. If you like something lighter, a regular Dewars or a J&B also gets the job done. I won't walk away from Famous Grouse either.

That said, a Springbank or an Isle of Jura 16yr is a true joy. Any Macallans or your basic Glenlivet or Glenfiddich is fine too.

But I'm easy.

Top Bottom