What's new

I like Glenmorangie...

...but not the burn. I got the Original and mixing with water helps dilute the burn and bring out some of the flavors, but what do you scotch drinkers recommend I try for under $50? I also got 3 shooters of 12 year and liked The Lasanta. So I'm assuming I need to be looking at a more aged scotch? What say you?

In that price range you might want to try Aberfeldy, Dewar's mass-market single malt offering. Nice, everday-drinking whisky, IMHO. A little further up the scale is Cragganmore 12, a great point of entry into single malts. For a bit more of a challenge, try Bowmore 12 or -- if you dare -- Laphroig 10.

Peat and smoke. Maybe it's my bias, but I find peaty, smoky (and spicy) scotches more complex and challenging than those that deliver tamer flavors like sherry, fruit, vanilla, etc. Not that I always want complexity or challenge. One of my favorite everyday-drinking blends is Buchanan's Black & White. You can't get simpler and more straight-forward than that, but it puts a smile on my face every time. The fact that it has an interesting history doesn't hurt either.

You could try Talisker 10 and maybe Highland Park 12. Talisker is on the peppery side while HP is a good balance of smoky and sweet.

I've seen Highland Park mentioned around the internet as a must try, and after reading the reviews on Aberfeldy, it is definitely one that sounds good to me. Thanks for the recommendations, gents.

Give the Glenmorangie a little more time, literally. I found that once I got halfway through my first bottle (~1 Month) of it it got a lot smoother. Some Whisky's need to breathe a little more to calm down (check out some Ralfy.com video blogs to understand more). When I crack open a new bottle of Glenmorangie I pour a dram and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.

I went from saying I wasn't going back to another bottle of it to it being a staple in my cabinet.

Highland Park 12 yo is typically around $45. Fantastic stuff if you like highland types.

I believe some of the Jura whiskeys are below $50 and I've enjoyed them so far.

Dalmore 12 yo I believe is around $45 aswell for a lighter take on a highland malt.

I don't rememeber what I paid for abelour's a'bunadh, but it is fantastic and worth an $75 if you can swing it.

Give the Glenmorangie a little more time, literally. I found that once I got halfway through my first bottle (~1 Month) of it it got a lot smoother. Some Whisky's need to breathe a little more to calm down (check out some Ralfy.com video blogs to understand more). When I crack open a new bottle of Glenmorangie I pour a dram and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes.

I went from saying I wasn't going back to another bottle of it to it being a staple in my cabinet.
I've been letting the glass sit for about 15 minutes and it does make a difference. I have to mix in some water with it though and I don't like that too much. On one hand, it stretches out the bottle a little more, but on the other hand it dilutes more than just the alcohol burn. I didn't mix any water with the Aberfeldy and enjoyed it very much. The Glenmorangie will continue to be drank though, and maybe it will even become a staple for me like it did for you.

Great call! I'm enjoying a glass right now.

Good show. Ain't it nice?

Highland Park will most likely be the next one I try.

HP has been on my to-try list for quite a while. Let us know what you think.

I would also second the suggestion of Talisker 10. One of my all-time favorites; I didn't mention it 'cause I thought it might be over the $50 price limit (though not by very much). I'm also a big fan of Talisker 18, though frankly I'm not entirely sure it merits the 100% premium over the price of the 10 y.o. that it fetches these days. I've also had a taste of a Talisker 25 -- sublime.

I found myself thinking about the Aberfeldy today... I didn't have a drink today since I did some drinking last night, but I wanted a glass of that Aberfeldy. Tomorrow...

I will look that Talisker up and add it to the list. Maybe I need to make an actual list. Thanks for the tip.

I don't rememeber what I paid for abelour's a'bunadh, but it is fantastic and worth an $75 if you can swing it.

Currently on a month long business trip to the UK and spent last week up in the highlands. Toured 3 distilleries and Aberlour was by far my favorite. I had not tried the a'bunadh prior to the tour but it was included during the tasting and all I can say is wow! Truly fantastic stuff. Runs over $90 with tax in Chicago so depending on the prices in Heathrow might have to pick it up duty-free when heading back to this weekend

If the burn is bothering you, try a little ice. It mutes the burn.

I like my scotch with a little splash of water (less than a teaspoon). You may find some people aghast at icing a single malt, but I say drink what you like.

If the burn is bothering you, try a little ice. It mutes the burn.

I like my scotch with a little splash of water (less than a teaspoon). You may find some people aghast at icing a single malt, but I say drink what you like.

+1 to that, although I still say experiment and don't settle into a routine. Its pretty awesome how whiskeys change depending on how they are served.

Thanks men. I was drinking the Glenmorangie the other night with less water than I did before. Just a splash. Next glass I plan on putting an ice cube in and stirring it around for about 30 seconds and then taking it out. I know the scotch snobs would turn their noses up at me for that, but like you said, drink what you like...

I often drink my single malts over ice. To be sure, the best way to get to know a scotch is to sniff, sip straight, then open it up with little bit of water. Once I'm on familiar terms with a scotch, though, I don't hesitate to add ice if I'm in the mood for it (which I often am). I tend to do this more often with lower-end scotches -- Aberfeldy, for example, is wonderful on the rocks, IMO.

Top Bottom