What's new

Starting my first restore

Picked this Simms up a few weeks back, and finally got around to starting a restore. I've pulled the old know, and the hole is about 1mm wider than a nickel, so I'm thinking a 22mm knot should be about right? Any suggestions as to loft/etc? Thinking middle of the road badger, but not set on anything yet.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 184
That's a nice brush. I look forward to seeing the finished product. A mid-range badger should work quite well!

So this brush has a hollow core, safe to assume I'll need to fill/build it up? If so, what's the best bet for doing so?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 165
pretty cool looking brush to start with, cant wait for the result

I have to agree with the above statement. Am looking forward to seeing your results. And yes TGN knots would be good to use. I have a brush with a 28/65mm TGN Finest Badger F-2 Knot
The brush is a good brush. (This Brush is not a restoration a friend made the Handle for me and I put the knot in it)
$OldCorps&Oscar11 Brush 100_0251.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it really isn't necessary to do anything other than drop a new knot in with a small amount of epoxy painted on the plug and the inside of the opening in the handle. It would perform great. However, I would fill the handle with a combination of epoxy and hex nuts, or something similar, just to give it some heft. It isn't as though the knot will drop to the bottom of the handle without a shelf to sit on. That's an interesting handle. Looking forward to the finished product!

Ended up ordering a 22x65 silvertip knot. Just need to source some epoxy locally while I'm waiting for it to arrive.

My silver tip knot finally arrived. Picked up some marine epoxy, and test fitted it this evening. Just trying to decide how deep to set it. I tend to prefer stiffer brushes, so I'm thinking I may sink it just a bit. Thoughts?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 52
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom