What's new

Purpose of Barber's Notch?

Barbers blades were usually large and heavy. I wonder if it was an attempt to shift the balance point rearward for better balance? Just my own theory.

A bit of clearance around the nostrils and not have the end of the blade hit them makes some sense. Others say the barber could pull the razor out of a pocket and use the notch to catch the blade and make for a one handed opening.

I'm sure that it had a function when it was first added to a razor but as time went on, the barbers notch changed in size, shape and position so I think it ended up becoming more about aesthetics.

I could imagine one hand is soapy with lather and you want another razor as the one you're using is getting dull. Reach into say a shirt pocket, grab another razor and open it one hand by catching the notch on the edge of the pocket. Could happen. Not too unreasonable.

Someone please post a pic of how, exactly it is of any help maneuvering under their nose.

Really. I'd like to see that.

My theory is Tver it was called the barbers notch as it gave the guys down at the shop something to argue about between clients. In other words- it's purpose was as a conversation piece.

Top Bottom