What's new

BL discussion for July 2014: Perique, the love, the hate.

Perique can be as polarizing as Latakia, or any other strong tobacco for that matter. I happen to enjoy my new found friend. Do you love it, hate it, or don't particularly care?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I need to re-visit it myself. When I first tried SG St. James Flake I was a bit repulsed. I got this from HOTW, too. I let the SJF age a year then smoked another flake. It seemed much better. If I can ever get the time to sit down for a bit I will give her another go.

While I enjoy it in small amounts, I can't take a perique bomb or fresh perique. I kind of like it best when it's aged a bit so that the flavor isn't as intense.

I was getting ready to start a thread on something along these lines, but here it is right there for me!

So, Now that I've been enjoying pipes much more and have gotten much better at it, I've revisited one of the tobacco's I started with. Originally I wasn't a fan of this one because it was moist, hot and I wasn't getting much flavor out of it. I'm now well aware that this was a result of my poor beginners technique on a tobacco that required just a smidge more attention. Now, having re-visited Escudo Navy Deluxe, it reminded me of a near pepper bomb that I'd get whenever I smoked a Don Pepin Garcia cigar. Is this the perique that I'm tasting?

If so, I more than likely prefer my perique on the medium to lighter side then, just as I do my latakia.

Perique is a funny thing. In some blends it's just peppery and almost like bite.

In others, particularly a thicker, richer blend, it lifts them up and adds interest amongst the deeper, richer notes.

A bit like eggs with Tabasco sauce it can really be a winner but other times it's just to much. For me it's very blend specific.

I'd hate to be without it. It just has to be well placed in the right blend.

Let's import the discussion from last month's thread:
We could talk about Perique, and the implications of it possibly not being available in the future. I found this interesting article.

http://www.theitalianpipe.com/infowell/articles/perique.htm
Not a fan of Perique, but I would follow it. We haven't had a Perique discussion yet.
That article is from a while ago. I do believe that since American Spirit started making the Perique blend, they've greatly increased the revenue going to the crop owners in St. James Parish, and essentially saved it from going under.

View attachment 468766
Exactly. It was a hard sell, but the brokers finally got American Spirit to buy the crop from that last farmer. The article was from 2002, and it is obviously a bit out of date. The farmer, Percy Martin, was 84 then, and doubted his children would continue farming those last 12 acres of Perique. I'm guessing it is profitable enough for them to have continued. What is concerning is that these are the last 12 acres in the world that are growing and harvesting this important tobacco.

IMO: The acreage is worrying, but not half as worrying as the people. Most problems that could happen because it's in such a small area are temporary. If the people quit or die off or whatever, that's permanent. There ought to be multiple farms, and multiple families/companies to ensure continued supply.

I will echo the sentiments of others here, I seem to like a small amount well-placed, but I don't like so much when it's front-and-center.

I like to think it's supply and demand. So long as there is some demand for it, some one will step in to ensure the supply. If the gov gets their way and manage to severely increase pipe tobacco costs, financially attempting to push people out of the hobby, I think that is more of a danger to the future of the crops than anything, since as in my previous thought, if demand goes down enough, there's no need for supply.

Anyways, as for the perique itself... lol I like it in some of the English blends and such with the latakia. I really do not like VAPer's at all. I've tried several of different sorts, and they are just completely not for me in the slightest. I'm only slightly less against straight VA's. I'm definitely an English/Aro sort of gent. :)

I like to think it's supply and demand. So long as there is some demand for it, some one will step in to ensure the supply.
Ah, but will anybody be able to step in and create supply if the process isn't sufficiently documented, nobody is alive who knows, and the equipment doesn't exist anymore? It may take a decade or more to re-create the process...not to mention if nobody has the seeds.

Anyways, as for the perique itself... lol I like it in some of the English blends and such with the latakia. I really do not like VAPer's at all. I've tried several of different sorts, and they are just completely not for me in the slightest. I'm only slightly less against straight VA's. I'm definitely an English/Aro sort of gent. :)
That is a great way to describe my tastes too.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 79
I like the blends I've tried with perique. I just made a "my own blend" from p&c thats 25% perique. I think I went a little heavy handed with it. While the smoke is good, it's a bit spicier than I was looking for. If it doesn't settle down with age I'll blend it with some orientals. The blend I made is 3oz red virginia, 2oz latakia, 2oz perique, and 1oz whiskey aromatic.

I just had Chenet's Cake by C&D. It is a 35% Perique blend, which is a lot, but it was still smooth enough to enjoy. They say with some age on it it will get rounder, sweeter and more balanced. I don't like Virginias all that much, but they did add nicely to this blend.

I like the blends I've tried with perique. I just made a "my own blend" from p&c thats 25% perique. I think I went a little heavy handed with it. While the smoke is good, it's a bit spicier than I was looking for. If it doesn't settle down with age I'll blend it with some orientals. The blend I made is 3oz red virginia, 2oz latakia, 2oz perique, and 1oz whiskey aromatic.
Sounds like a nice blend. Supposedly, 25% is about max recommended on the Perique in a blend. The Chenet's Cake I just had is 35%, but it did not seem to be that high.

The NY Times did an article in 2013 on Perique.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/05/us/tobacco-lovers-discover-mystique-of-perique.html?_r=0

Could not believe they actually make liquor out of Perique.

From the article:
Mr. Ryan has more demand than he can fill with his local farmers, and augments his barrels with tobacco from places like Kentucky, Virginia and Canada, as his predecessor had done for years as more and more farmers left the business.

Interesting. I wondered if it could be made out of other tobaccos despite what some articles say about special seed and special soil. I guess so. That's good news...you just have to use similar tobacco and the same fermentation process.

On the liquor:
http://www.vintageabsinthe.com/perique.htm
Louisiana Perique is the rarest and more precious tobacco in the entire world.
:laugh: Not the most precious? Must have been a mistake.

Scroll down that page to the "Tasting notes" and it sounds awful. I had to look up belacan and bagoong alamang but when I did they only made it worse. I think I'll stick with whiskey and highbrow tequila...

Scroll down that page to the "Tasting notes" and it sounds awful. I had to look up belacan and bagoong alamang but when I did they only made it worse. I think I'll stick with whiskey and highbrow tequila...
I think that as disgusting as it may at first sound, think about oyster sauce in Chinese cooking. Also, I would assume they were trying to draw the connection between the location of Perique and Islay Whisky.

Ive yet to try a Perique but im finding I like the sweeter tobaccos less than I used to and the "English", Oriental and straight burley (I cant help it I love PA) blends more. So, I will keep an eye on this thread and see what you fellows prefer and decide what blend containing Perique I want to add to my next order. So suggest away folks :001_smile

I only smoke Virginia/Perique tobaccos and the more Perique the better. I once made up my own blend that was close to 15% Perique and I loved it. I wish I had some more of that tobacco, but I ended up giving most of it away and now I can no longer get the ingredients.

Top Bottom