What's new

Bully Breed Dogs - Our New Puppy Comes Home!

Esme is home! Sleeping now in her crate. We had a good ride home, had a little throw up when we got here. Introduced her to her big brother Shadow, our Lab mix which seemed to go well. We're definitely going for the crate training, but a little unsure exactly the best way to accomplish it. Her breeder had her and the puppies set up in a crate but I believe she left it open with a small area with piddle pads in front. Not sure how to proceed from there exactly :)

Anyway, here she is in my arms on the car ride home :)

$Esme2.jpg

$Esme3.jpg

$Esme4.jpg

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
She is just too cute! :w00t:

Be sure to post some more pictures in a few weeks. I'm curious to see if those ears are going to go up. It looks like they're already trying to in your pictures.

My 8 y/o daughter is looking over my shoulder while I am posting and she says "Adorbs". I don't know exactly what that means, but I think it is good (adorable, silly me). Don't be surprised if your big dog pouts for a while because of the new puppy. Good luck and I hope you get some Z's tonight.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Q: What is the difference between a puppy and a truck driver.
A: After 8 weeks a puppy stops whining.
I work on flight simulators and deal with a lot of pilots. In our circle it is "What is the difference between a pilot and a jet engine? A jet engine stops whining once it's on the ground"

Your dog is absolutely adorable. Here is my Staffy at about 1.5yrs old 30lb
$DSC03086.jpg

Every bully breed is going to act differently but once thing they have in common is their strong will. These are not labs who will do anything to please you for nothing. My dog is smart and learns things quick but mostly only obeys when she has something to gain.You also can NEVER trust them completely off leash. I wouldn't let one off leash at all You don't know if they will attack another dog or run after a squirrel and get run over by a car in the process for example. I would describe bullies as strong-willed, rambunctious, people friendly (they demand attention), prey driven (watch for cats or squirrels).

They tend to be prone to hip and bone disorders so it is better that you slightly underfeed than slightly overfeed so they don't grow too fast. So watch the calcium and phosphorus levels for this reason also. I brought my dog home at 8 weeks of age from the breeder. She was crated and she learned she needed to go outside after about a week. Of course just because she knew what she was supposed to do doesn't mean she didn't make mistakes after that. Puppies have nearly non existent bowel/bladder control. I wouldn't bother with the training pads or newspaper it is much easier and faster in the short and long term to just have them go outside.

I don't recommend anything made by Diamond. Which includes Diamond naturals, Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold, among other brands. They are good foods when they work but the recalls are way too often and many dogs have died as a result. I have no loyalty to any brand so I rotate between Fromm, Tuffy's Gold Puppy (an excellent budget food made by Nutrisource), and Dr. Tim's. I wouldn't pay any attention to a kibble being grain free or not. It is really just a marketing term so you can pay more for carbs from peas than rice. Grain allergies are very rare I would just use grains that have a low GI . Protein allergies are much more common i.e.. Chicken. And it usually only happens because of continuing to feed the same thing for an extended amount of time day in day out (think leaky gut). Chicken is only the most common allergy because it is so common in dog foods. Your dog is a puppy so you can prevent anything from ever happening. and chances are it isn't a true allergy and once you feed something else for a long while and then return you will not see any allergies anymore. Rotate.

also watch out for the "hidden filler" in dog foods- ash. It should be around 7% or lower.

Last edited:
Dogs are carnivores, descendants of wolves. Check their teeth, they are used to tear, shred, and grind. If you are skeptical of the billion dollar kibble industry, research raw feeding for dogs. I'm not talking commercial raw dog food I'm talking raw meat with bone from the market, butcher, or farm. 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ and 5% of that 10 is liver. Feed 3% of their adult body weight daily. Puppies start off at 4 feedings a day totaling 3% of their adult weight. Feedings will progress to once a day at 1 year old. Our Wire Fox Terrier is almost two and we put her on raw right when we got her from the breeder at 13 weeks. She is thriving, her coat is vibrant, teeth are white, breath is non existent, and her poop, yah I said poop, is minimal and easily manageable compared to the gagging awful mess kibble delivers. Since when do dogs need rice, corn, wheat, or soy? How many dogs do you see these days that are obese due to too many carbs in their diet? I know a family who's dog is diabetic and takes insulin shots daily, that's crazy! Many will assume this controversial, disgusting, or dangerous but I would say research raw feeding for dogs (Yahoo groups has a great forum for information and questions) and come to an informed conclusion on your own. I was worried at first that she would choke on the bone and sat with her for several feedings just incase. No issues what so ever, she tore through her food and took to it just like nature intended. If you are doing an ancestral type diet and it is working for you why not do it for your dog? Check it out it's amazing!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Connie, cute story, you know how we all personify our dogs: Driving home my wife and I started talking about her ears standing up, wondering when, and I swear, Esme looked up at me, stuck one ear straight up, almost like a, "See Daddy? I'm getting it!" Too cute!

S'quatch, Careful! Your daughters gonna want one, or another! Lol Last night went pretty good actually, wife and I took turns taking her out then comforting her at her crate. This crate thing is the trickiest part. Put her back in after a good potty or play, and she's bawling, and I know you aren't supposed to take them out when they do or you're just reinforcing that behavior. Its hard to not second guess that there's something else you need to do, thats why she wants out so bad. I know they're supposed to practically live in the crate for the early times except to potty, eat and a little play. Its just hard to feel confident you're doing it right though.

Oh, and our lab has been pretty good, a little "pay attention to me too". But whats odd, is he seems scared of the puppy. He'll go right up to her, sniff her and such and seems ok, but then she'll turn and bounce towards him, or try to follow him, and he runs off! If he's laying down and she comes towards him, he jumps up and gets away from her. If she's crying in the crate, he'll wimper a bit too. He's not too old, 3 or so. We rescued him and he was/is very well trained. Very submissive with my wife and I, a nut job to walk. Puppy wise, I'm not sure what his deal is, you guys have any ideas?

Fram, Dude, thanks for all the tips on the food! It is tough to know what is best, and the industry doesn't make it easy, thats for sure. I don't think we could hang with the all raw diet. I know it makes sense, but just dealing with facilitating it as a family, I don't think it'd work for us. Fram, your tips on the kibble are great, and I'll keep an eye out for all those things and ingredients. I've read about the Taste of the Wild and Diamond food, and the Chinese crap thats caused problems. Generally, it seems like its well liked and a solid food, and its what she started on. But I'll definitely do some more research and try alternatives. I switched our Lab over now when the puppy came home, he'd been Purina One Lamb n Rice since forever. Figured I'd get him and her on the same food type for when she switches off puppy formula. Plus, he's got some kind of anal gland issue, seems to get backed up and then he scoots on the carpet. Research tells me it could be food, not giving him solid enough poop. Figured it was worth a shot! I also like the rotating food idea! And your dog looks great! I love how they smile like that :)

Figured I'd get him and her on the same food type for when she switches off puppy formula. Plus, he's got some kind of anal gland issue, seems to get backed up and then he scoots on the carpet. Research tells me it could be food, not giving him solid enough poop.

It could be. one solution could be that the anal gland needs to be "expressed." If you're not too squeamish put some gloves on and do it yourself.

Oh yeah I also forgot another tip. Puppy foods can be used for life as they are technically "all life stages." Watch that label in many cases grain inclusive foods may have more meat than the grain free. Especially the ones that include peas (which have relatively high protein) and it can mask the true amount of meat in there. Raw is good like Dude says but I'm not confident enough that I will be able to formulate a nutritionally complete food and the lack of time is also an issue. I do feed raw chicken necks on occasion though++ Raw bones are perfectly fine but cooked ones they can not digest and are dangerous.

Raw bones are perfectly fine but cooked ones they can not digest and are dangerous.

I agree, cooked bones will splinter, especially chicken. I would also advise you to not serve that. Also, weight bearing bones eg. knuckle, femurs, etc. can flake, also chip and break teeth. They are too hard.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone!

Connie, cute story, you know how we all personify our dogs: Driving home my wife and I started talking about her ears standing up, wondering when, and I swear, Esme looked up at me, stuck one ear straight up, almost like a, "See Daddy? I'm getting it!" Too cute!

S'quatch, Careful! Your daughters gonna want one, or another! Lol Last night went pretty good actually, wife and I took turns taking her out then comforting her at her crate. This crate thing is the trickiest part. Put her back in after a good potty or play, and she's bawling, and I know you aren't supposed to take them out when they do or you're just reinforcing that behavior. Its hard to not second guess that there's something else you need to do, thats why she wants out so bad. I know they're supposed to practically live in the crate for the early times except to potty, eat and a little play. Its just hard to feel confident you're doing it right though.

Oh, and our lab has been pretty good, a little "pay attention to me too". But whats odd, is he seems scared of the puppy. He'll go right up to her, sniff her and such and seems ok, but then she'll turn and bounce towards him, or try to follow him, and he runs off! If he's laying down and she comes towards him, he jumps up and gets away from her. If she's crying in the crate, he'll wimper a bit too. He's not too old, 3 or so. We rescued him and he was/is very well trained. Very submissive with my wife and I, a nut job to walk. Puppy wise, I'm not sure what his deal is, you guys have any ideas?

Fram, Dude, thanks for all the tips on the food! It is tough to know what is best, and the industry doesn't make it easy, thats for sure. I don't think we could hang with the all raw diet. I know it makes sense, but just dealing with facilitating it as a family, I don't think it'd work for us. Fram, your tips on the kibble are great, and I'll keep an eye out for all those things and ingredients. I've read about the Taste of the Wild and Diamond food, and the Chinese crap thats caused problems. Generally, it seems like its well liked and a solid food, and its what she started on. But I'll definitely do some more research and try alternatives. I switched our Lab over now when the puppy came home, he'd been Purina One Lamb n Rice since forever. Figured I'd get him and her on the same food type for when she switches off puppy formula. Plus, he's got some kind of anal gland issue, seems to get backed up and then he scoots on the carpet. Research tells me it could be food, not giving him solid enough poop. Figured it was worth a shot! I also like the rotating food idea! And your dog looks great! I love how they smile like that :)

Cyber,

I'm just trying to help you out as we were in the same position as you just about 6 months ago with our new Labraweenie. Our big lab was not impressed, but now they are buddies and she runs right underneath him. It is so hard not wanting to comfort them as it is the only way to get them to be quiet. I'm happy that the transition is going so well. It is exponentially more fun having two. Kind of like kids that don't ask you for money.

$1779522_10153734448215386_1705417951_n.jpg

This is my American Bulldog Rufus, about 6 months ago. Yes Bullies have some quirks:

They can be stubborn... VERY stubborn
They snore
Have gas
Store energy until they just have to let loose, then it's mayhem
Possible drooling
Not great with heat
Are very gentle, at least they try to be
Can be picky with food
And some, like mine, think they are a goat!

View attachment 470553

This is my American Bulldog Rufus, about 6 months ago. Yes Bullies have some quirks:

They can be stubborn... VERY stubborn
They snore
Have gas
Store energy until they just have to let loose, then it's mayhem
Possible drooling
Not great with heat
Are very gentle, at least they try to be
Can be picky with food
And some, like mine, think they are a goat!

I love his "shiner"! :)

yep, our little girl is showing some of that now! Ill preface by it is ridiculously hot here. Anyway, she's decided that when we take her out to potty on the grass, that if the sun is shining on her, she's going back inside. She's figured out where she goes in and out from, and when paws hit grass, she turns right around and heads for the door! I did check, the ground isn't too hot or anything, its the direct sun. Early and later in the day when its a bit shady there, she goes fine. Kinda cute, but, it's making it a little tougher on the potty front. Tomorrow, its EZ Up or umbrella time! :)

Oh, and our Labs getting better! Still isn't too sure wth she is, but he's not running away from her anymore. I swear, he even brought her one of his toys today :)

Top Bottom