What's new

Merz Apothecary = Amazing Experience

Holy mama!

That first picture alone shows more wet shaving gear than I've seen in all of the stores in Copenhagen combined.

I think my skin is taking on a slightly greenish tinge of envy ;-)

I'm staring to believe that for the blues and barbershops, Chicago might very well rise to the top of my to-visit list :)

apparently this store is world famous. I always took it for granted. even in Chicago it is the only place I know of like it. probably not a lot of market for this stuff anymore. so they have the niche cornered.

For me the brush selection is what really makes it, and the AS/soap/cream testers. Very hard to smell these online ;)

I've purchased 6 brushes and only keeping 3 which stinks but it's simply because I wasn't able to hold them and see how the bristles felt.

Yes my flight isn't for a few hours I'm trying to resist the urge to go back :)

This was on the north side in Lincoln Square? Not super familiar with the area, but it was a nice little shops & pubs district, a couple neat little German bars a few doors down.

They definitely had straights, I would say almost as big of a selection as the safety's.

Here is an additional pic of the inside...

View attachment 468449

Funny, the salesman and the customer are both fully bearded. That is like being happily married but finding yourself in a hot tub full of super models.

True! Although when I asked my friend about that he just replied that he still needed to clean up around his beard and neck. Might as well do it in style :)

Merz's Lincoln Square location is the BEST! I stopped by a few weeks ago and got out fairly unscathed...spent <$20! They are expanding the shaving section into the shop next door. The clerk said they want to be open in time for the holiday season...I can't wait! Highly recommend you make the trip to Lincoln Square if you can....you will not be disappointed!

I am visiting chicago this week and this morning i coerced my wife to accompany me.... Oops, the experience ended up costing me $$$. The place had lots more stuff for her and believe me, there was plenty of stuff for the the gents. I ended up buying MWF, La Toja, I Coloniali and the clercks recommended Green Mountain tallow soap. I also got some free samples of geo f trumpers creams, chidoriya soap, ursa major cream and il coloniali asb. Really nice store for sure.

I am visiting chicago this week and this morning i coerced my wife to accompany me.... Oops, the experience ended up costing me $$$. The place had lots more stuff for her and believe me, there was plenty of stuff for the the gents. I ended up buying MWF, La Toja, I Coloniali and the clercks recommended Green Mountain tallow soap. I also got some free samples of geo f trumpers creams, chidoriya soap, ursa major cream and il coloniali asb. Really nice store for sure.

Hah they recommended the Green Mountain to me as well! I love the scent and the soap seems solid although with my hard Midwestern water the softer croaps lather a bit better. I have the taller sloped bowl with the knob handle and the little Green Mountain puck fits perfectly, the only issue is I use it almost everyday and I'm not even 20% through it yet! How will I ever work through my stash at this rate!

Top Bottom