What's new

Ok Buying knife tomorrow I need you to decide for me.

So Ive decided to use my $100 staples gift card to buy a knife. Ive pretty much decided on a kershaw, cold steel, or kabar.
So a few things about me, Im new to good knives that are not used in kitchen I will be using it a lot more then i should, I do know how to sharpen, I have bigger hands, and I may or may not misuse it since ive never had a high end knife.
I like the spyderco but i feel that its too much for someone new to knives and considering I may break it being an idiot isn't a nice thought.

Id like something i could take with me to work, hiking, and to defend myself.

So im looking for at least a 5 inch knife with no serrated edge if possible, folding preferred but not necessary. Here are links to each available item form the 3 makers so help me out real quick.

KaBar

http://www.staples.com/All-Hand-Tools/cat_CL213520?fids=4224962293|4224962137&sby=1

Kershaw
http://www.staples.com/All-Hand-Tools/cat_CL213520?fids=4224962293|4224962141&sby=1

Cold steel
http://www.staples.com/All-Hand-Tools/cat_CL213520?fids=4224962293|4224965520&sby=1

It seems everyone likes kershaw more then cold steel and kabar can you give reasons why. I thought cold steel was best quality of the 3.

Last edited:
All of the knives that you picked look great. Being new to knives myself, I started with a Gerber paraframe as my EDC, and recently upgraded to the Spyderco Tenacious, full serrated. Haven't looked back since. I guess my suggestion would be go for what feels best in your hand.

The Kershaw Skyline is a great knife. I picked one up recently and it hasn't left my pocket. Plus, it's made in the USA.

http://www.staples.com/Kershaw-Skyline-Folding-Knife/product_WYF078275642390

$51QF5UxUlML._SL1500_.jpg

$61FXt8UfXHL.jpg

If you like slim and thin, the skyline is a great choice. If you want better blade steel, the Kershaw Blur in S30V is worth a look.

The skyline has not left my pocket in 3 years. It is the only constant in my edc kit. My fixed blades and slip joints always rotate, but not the skyline. I have many custom and handmade knives, plus make knives myself, but the skyline is my go to blade for home and office.

-X

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Another Kershaw Skyline carrier here.

At least 2 years I'd say. Been in my pocket everyday. With the exception of the rare time I get a new knife and want to carry it. But I always go back to the Skyline. I've even ran it through the washer and dryer once. Oops!

If you're looking into high end knives do yourself a favor and look into Benchmade knives. Their guarantee alone is worth looking into aside from the fact that they are superior quality knives that will last a lifetime.

Kershaw Skyline and Leek can both be had from Staples for $100. the Leek is a bit smaller so you can have two great folders with very different blades styles.

Kershaw s30v blur, or skyline, the blur is a better quality knife. I own a bunch of kershaws the scallion with s30vis my favorite edc. I collect case knives and love them but the shallot s30v is a better knife

I called staples and they will price match the knives so i can now get any of the spyderco range. So now im leaning towards the manix 2 in the clear blue plastic handle for $75 or the camo paramilitary 2 which i called and they said they do have a few even though site says sold out, for $112.

I had no idea staples sold knives. I own two Kabar knives, one of them being the mule folder. It surprised me with how solid it felt in my hand, but it's a bit too bulky for an EDC in my opinion. I had an opportunity to get a Spyderco at a ridiculous price but passed on it. I just don't like the way the handles feel. I've only ever heard great things about the steel, so I don't foresee you regretting purchasing either one. I'm more of a SOG man myself.

Do some homework on the steel. Some are going to require some effort to keep sharp. The old kabars were 1095crovan which is a high carbon semi stainless that was fun to hone and would take a legitimately sharp edge.

Good recommendations, all. Let us know what you decide.

Ok so staples screwed up my order on the paramilitary 2 and i ended up getting 2 spyderco manix 2 in the bluye handles for 150 for both with tax and a $50 gift card for all the trouble. Basically they sent the 1st order to wrong address and i had to prove to them that not only did i call in to correct order before it was sent out but i did 2 times.

Ok so staples screwed up my order on the paramilitary 2 and i ended up getting 2 spyderco manix 2 in the bluye handles for 150 for both with tax and a $50 gift card for all the trouble. Basically they sent the 1st order to wrong address and i had to prove to them that not only did i call in to correct order before it was sent out but i did 2 times.
Seems like a legit deal

Top Bottom