What's new

Bedtime Shave

Greetings,

I'm new to all of this (still awaiting delivery of my EJ89 Barley) and I thought it would be best to ask for some general advice before plunging ahead.

I have to get up very early so I prefer to shave just before going to bed. It has become part of my bedtime ritual and helps to put me in the right frame of mind for falling asleep. As such, I'm a little leery of using aftershaves that are described as bracing and stimulating and the like. However, I really would like to enjoy this part of the shaving experience.

I'm hoping for some advice and recommendations for a soothing and relaxing bedtime shave. And not just aftershaves but soaps, creams, scents, techniques, steps in the shaving process...well, anything you think might be beneficial.

And may I just say an all around Thank You to everyone on B&B! I've learned so much while lurking here.

Rick

The only advise I can give is what works for me. And that is simply to set your alarm 1/2 hour earlier.

And welcome to B&B

I would go for some relaxing EO like lavender for my cream/soap, or some other botanical.
Same with aftershave, although I would highly recommend Speick. It is amazing stuff.

As for technique, first cut down on variables at the beginning until you can get decent shaves.
Take it slow, watch your angle, and lots of prep. Make sure to soak your whiskers well in warm water before you start lathering.
Last word of advice is to face lather, I find it helps cut down on prep time, and perfectly prepares your face for shaving.

Welcome, I'm an early morning shaver myself! My picks for a great scent for right before you go to bed would be Tabac Shave Soap, Tabac or Indian Old Spice after shave, & Nivea Sensitive Aftershave balm. You could also go with Theyers Witch-hazel Cucumber or Lavendar, they have no alcohol in them and are wonderful aftershave toners. I left out an alum suggestion, it can be quit bracing depending on the quality of your shave. Honestly, this all depends on what you consider a comforting scent, you'll want to avoid anything with menthol like Proraso aftershave or something that has some heat to it like Captins Choice Cat O' Nine Tails AS. YMMV(Your Milage May Vary) enjoy your shaves and welcome to the crew of "Ship Friendship"(poorly used old spice reference)!

Last edited:
My favorite is lucky tiger face balm. The scent leaves quickly, but the tonic leaves your face feeling great. I am a night shaver myself so this works well for me.

Sandalwood is a scent that is associated with calm and relaxation. Art Of Shaving makes a great eau de toilette from real sandalwood oil. It smells warm and creamy and might be nice for bedtime. I haven't tried their shave creams or soaps in that fragrance as Proraso Sandalwood had a tendency to leave my face with a light burning sensation so I opt for the cologne only. Welcome to B&B and enjoy the journey.

i am a night time shaver too, and i take pride in shaving before bed. i do it for the relaxation. IMO, stay away from the art of shaving. they're extremely over-priced and better stuff can be found. much better stuff. they're just trying to cash in on wet shaving and don't necessarily take pride in selling quality wet shaving products. they just have that corporate feel to me. because so much of the stuff we buy is made by artisans and small business owners, ive shyed away from that whole idea as far as shaving goes. they're like the apple of wet shaving. but, you can try lavender scented stuff that was mentioned before. something else is a warm shower, warm towel, just warmth in general. you could also try balms instead of splashes. balms provide great cushion and would help the irritation caused by the fibers on the pillows and blankets. also try the use of talcum powder. if you felt so inclined, you could even spread some on your pillow case if you wanted to truly pamper yourself.

I used to be a bedtime shaver like you, but after getting used to rising 1/2 hour earlier it turns out I really enjoy the new start to my day.

I have a sensitive nose and I'm also a night shaver. I suggest a mild soap. Tabac was far too strong for me to go to sleep with lingering about. I like Razorock Fresco so far. I'm on a mission to find the right one though, so I'm sure there are plenty of other light options out there.

I too work shifts and find myself shaving at night when I have a 5am start. Having sensitive skin I only use Alum block followed by a cold rinse and then I use witch hazel followed by Bulldog sensitve moisturiser to lock in some moisture for bed. Maybe you could give that a go.... the Bulldog has a very mild relaxing scent IMHO

Welcome to the forum. You are really going to like the EJ89 Barley Chrome, I know I enjoy mine.
I started shaving at night, and it works great for me, one less thing that I have to do in morning before going to work.
The shave at night relaxes me, I have 4-5 aftershaves that I use right now, everything bought at local drug store. I just bought some Brut AS and I really like the scent. The wife likes the BBS and the clean smell of AS when snuggled up for sleep and such!

Shaving tip #1 from the Pinaud Clubman web page.
SHAVING TIPS
1. It's best to avoid shaving the very first thing in the morning. If possible, let your skin wake up a while. This allows the "puffiness" you encounter from fluids collecting in your skin during the night to recede, thus allowing you to get a closer shave when you do begin the task.
http://www.clubman.com/TIPS.shtml

Also Pinaud Liliac Vegetal aftershave prior to bed works well.

Top Bottom