What's new

Chips/Fries on the BBQ

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I love my chips! Burgers with some chips on the side, awesome! Since it's summer, I can't really start the oven to cook a batch of chips, it would get too hot in here...

I came across a few recipes and here's how it goes.

Cut your potatoes in wedges (I like big chips, not the thin fries).

Put them in salty water, when it boils, calculate 20 minutes.

Drain and add a bit of oil (I use vegetable oil). If you don't get them all, that's fine.

Put on the Barbie to cook. While it cooks, I use a brush to spread the oil that I poured over back on the chips. Turn once in a while (5-10 mins).

I normally do indirect cooking on coals so that would be toward 10-15 mins and I check them every 5-10 mins.

That's it.

I make kind of a hybrid of baked potatoes and steak fries. Similar idea to above but makes crispy half potatoes.

Take 2 (unpeeled) potatoes and stick 'em in the microwave at high for about 4 minutes.

Take out -- let cool slightly, and cut in half lengthwise. Brush all sides liberally with oil and sprinkle with BBQ rub, Lawrys Season Salt or other flavoring.

Preheat grill to screaming rocket hot.
Depending on your grill, put potatoes over indirect heat (or a burner set to low), skin side down for about 5-7 minutes. Skin should be getting crispy and cut side (facing up) should be starting to brown. Flip to cut side down. Cook another 4-5 minutes until desired crispiness is achieved.

Times are (of course) completely dependent on how hot your grill is. If you got all the heat and timing right, these should be crispy on the outside and creamy on the inside. I like 'em because they're basically put 'em on and forget em. Except for the one flip, you don't have to mess with 'em. I even forgot to flip them to cut side down once and they still came out very well and were decently crispy on the cut side.

Top Bottom