What's new

So, what is the steep angle?

I keep noticing some people still have doubts, nothing wrong with that, we are all learning. While these diagrams aren't the prettiest you have seen, they will help you understand what steep angle is.
This was posted a couple months back in the BEAST Zookeepers thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-of-the-Muhle-R41-BEAST?p=6145480#post6145480

I am too lazy to make a better version, so here it is again, this time in the Double Edge Razors forum, so more people can see it, hopefully it will be helpful.

Have a nice day, Gentlemen.

$Steep Angle.jpg
$Shallow Angle.jpg

Last edited:
Always a good reminder. Edgar. You might want to add this to the wiki blade angle page (unless one of the mods can be convinced this is a sufficiently common discussion to make it a sticky).

Well done Edgar :thumbup:.

I liked your post before and I'm glad you posted it again. This subject was rather unclear to me in the beginning as well.

Always a good reminder. Edgar. You might want to add this to the wiki blade angle page (unless one of the mods can be convinced this is a sufficiently common discussion to make it a sticky).

If the Mods consider this of enough interest that could be a good idea.
Maybe I'll send them a few bacon tacos, that should do it ... :001_cool:

Well done Edgar :thumbup:.

I liked your post before and I'm glad you posted it again. This subject was rather unclear to me in the beginning as well.

Thank you! Yes, I decided to post it here again, because I figure not many people read the R41 thread, especially since it was moved.
It was a good thing they moved it, but here this has more exposure, and more people can see it.

Nice post and a great graphic. I am slow, but when I started, I couldn't figure out which way the angle was to be measured, off the plane of my face or off the plane of the floor. Dumb, I know.

Thanks for this again. It clears things up nicely and also breaks through the language barrier in a very nice way.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Thank you! Yes, I decided to post it here again, because I figure not many people read the R41 thread, especially since it was moved.
It was a good thing they moved it, but here this has more exposure, and more people can see it.
Finallly; Thanks Edgar! I read all those threads and it was never clear if they were talking about the BLADE angle or the HANDLE angle in relation to face. Excellent post!
(Shallow angle = cap and blade flatter against the face; Got it!)
BLADE angle is the key....

Last edited:
So is a steep angle valuable on any razor or only certain designs?

No. In fact most razors won't allow the use of this steep angle approach. It requires specific head geometry characteristics, as well as a bigger blade exposure. IMO these are the two main factors that will allow the steep angle use.

IME so far, some examples that work with the steep angle are the R41, the Old Type and Merkur Progress. Some people have reported success with FaTips, ATT H2, etc ...

TTOs won't allow this, as generally due to their head geometry they are very angle specific, having a narrow efficient shaving angle range. In other words, a shallow angle is the only possible approach.

NEWs also don't work using this method, those are also shallow angle shavers, IME at least.

Thanks. Using a New currently and I couldn't imagine using an angle this steep and having the blade cut anything :)

I'm still new and working on technique so I'm quite focused on angle and this post was confusing. I appreciate the run down on the various common razors and his this relates to them

Now I just need to decide if I want to try out one if these beasts. I want to, but I know I should wait a while to work on technique without changing too many variables. Patience is not always my strong point, however :)

Thanks. Using a New currently and I couldn't imagine using an angle this steep and having the blade cut anything :)

I'm still new and working on technique so I'm quite focused on angle and this post was confusing. I appreciate the run down on the various common razors and his this relates to them

Now I just need to decide if I want to try out one if these beasts. I want to, but I know I should wait a while to work on technique without changing too many variables. Patience is not always my strong point, however :)

If you are using a NEW, you are already shaving with one of the finest razors ever made.

Also this is not to say the steep angle is better or worse than the standard shallow angle. Both work, and one should master both techniques, especially because the steep angle doesn't work with all razors.

Thanks for the post and thank you to the moderator who made it sticky.

I would love to see a Wiki page on what and how with a comparison to shallow and theories behind them. Perhaps you and Aimsport could put something together?

Thanks for the post and thank you to the moderator who made it sticky.

I would love to see a Wiki page on what and how with a comparison to shallow and theories behind them. Perhaps you and Aimsport could put something together?

Thank you.

The reason why I posted this was merely to make it easier to understand, because I know many people still have doubts.

I do not wish to make a Shallow vs Steep thing out of this, as I think that is not up to me, it is something people must try and decide by themselves.

I can and will provide my opinion if requested, but that is a different thing. :001_smile

Thank you.

The reason why I posted this was merely to make it easier to understand, because I know many people still have doubts.

I do not wish to make a Shallow vs Steep thing out of this, as I think that is not up to me, it is something people must try and decide by themselves.

I can and will provide my opinion if requested, but that is a different thing. :001_smile

I've read some of the postings by you, Aimsport and a few others in different threads, and I found them awesome. My point was not spark a debate about the merits of either approach (especially within the context of this informative/clarifying thread), but only to point out that it seems that the best information is spread out in many different places within many different threads. If you could team up and put together a polished and comprehensive-ish guide to steep shaving ... I think it could serve as a more concise, more complete, and more enduring reference.

Just a thought. I personally lack enough experience on the subject, but I just though I would try to encourage those of you with the experience to consider tackling this project as an alternative approach.

Thanks!
Shawnsel

Last edited:
I've read some of the postings by you, Aimsport and a few others in different threads, and I found them awesome. My point was not spark a debate about the merits of either approach (especially within the context of this informative/clarifying thread), but only to point out that it seems that the best information is spread out in many different places within many different threads. If you could team up and put together a polished and comprehensive-ish guide to steep shaving ... I think it could serve as a more concise, more complete, and more enduring reference.

Just a thought. I personally lack enough experience on the subject, but I just though I would try to encourage those of you with the experience to consider tackling this project as an alternative approach.

Thanks!
Shawnsel

I understand, Shawnsel. The info is somewhat disperse, I agree.
Maybe something can be done, we shall see.

Top Bottom