What's new

So, what is the steep angle?

FYI, many people report less irritation using a steep angle. In the end it's a YMMV thing.

That was my mileage, but, Only with the R41. I still don't know Why, but, I know it did.

That was my mileage, but, Only with the R41. I still don't know Why, but, I know it did.

Yeah ... explaining why is the trickiest part. But it definitely works, and many of us (as you know) are getting great results using this technique.

It won't work with most razors, but with the ones that do have the required blade exposure, it works!

:thumbsup:

Yeah ... explaining why is the trickiest part. But it definitely works, and many of us (as you know) are getting great results using this technique.

It won't work with most razors, but with the ones that do have the required blade exposure, it works!

:thumbsup:

My best guesses as to why steep angles work (for some at least) ... I don't know if others agree?
  1. Being angled more towards the skin makes it more efficient, it skips over less stubble, and is also more likely to cut closer to the skin with each pass
  2. It can cut as close WTG as a shallow angle might be able to ATG ... and many men find ATG shaving causes a lot of irritation to the skin
  3. Requiring fewer passes (and often only WTG passes) to get the desired closeness, it can do less damage to the skin over the course of the entire shave
  4. For some, I think it might be more intuitive (easier) to pivot the angle of the razor from its safety guard, and it also might be more intuitive (for some) to keep the blade from touching the skin ... just hovering right above the skin.

Any other theories?

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with this software and it's indeed cool, but the 75 degrees angle wasn't a very good guess ... :tongue_sm

But all the measurements confirm what we've been saying. The BBS-1 Doesn't have enough blade exposure to allow steep angles and in fact it seems like its effective shaving angle range is limited, allowing shallow angles only, the cutting angle is 35,52 degrees according to my measurement:

View attachment 511208

Edgar this are very interesting pics. Have you done this for a Wolfman? Am guessing it wont depart much from the BBS-1 but afaik some find differences in shave quality between the too.

Edgar this are very interesting pics. Have you done this for a Wolfman? Am guessing it wont depart much from the BBS-1 but afaik some find differences in shave quality between the too.

That picture is not mine. :biggrin: IIRC that's Jinx18's picture, he posted in one of the threads about the BBS-1, I just measured the angle.

And I don't own a Wolfman either. His OC razors look really cool, though.

Well, this is a real discovery.
After only a couple of months back to the old DEs, and visiting here of course, I find that since I got back on track, I seem to have naturally gravitated towards a relatively steep angle rather than shallow .. for me it just feels smooth and more efficient, whether with a New, an adjustable or a Tech.
I'm getting my first Old in a week or so and it will be interesting to see how that feels .. from what I've read here, I've already moved to the perfect angle for myself. All this time and so far only one very slight nick (just under a nostril) and no weepies at all ... don't even know what 'weepies' could be.
I'll try more shallow angles just to see how I go, but I'm very happy being a natural steepie!

A weepie or weeper is where ya find a small spot of blood but it's not a cut. It's where a piece of skin has been shaved off enough to bleed.

Today I tried with my new Merkur 47C. I used an Astra SP (4th shave), for lather I used Proraso regular. (using for the first time and the scent is great!) . After going through the forums, I thought of trying the shallow angle and the results are awesome. No cuts, tugs, weepers etc., As a matter of fact when I put the alum block there was no irritation at all and that means the shallow angles gives a very comfortable shave. However, it is a bit difficult to have a shallow angle in the neck area and while doing ATG. The Merkur 47C results are almost like Muhle R41. I am not that experienced to make a statement. I need to work on my technique. I want to share the pictures of the Merkur!
$IMG_0008.jpg$IMG_0007.jpg$IMG_0006.jpg$IMG_0005.jpg$IMG_0004.jpg

No. In fact most razors won't allow the use of this steep angle approach. It requires specific head geometry characteristics, as well as a bigger blade exposure. IMO these are the two main factors that will allow the steep angle use.

IME so far, some examples that work with the steep angle are the R41, the Old Type and Merkur Progress. Some people have reported success with FaTips, ATT H2, etc ...

TTOs won't allow this, as generally due to their head geometry they are very angle specific, having a narrow efficient shaving angle range. In other words, a shallow angle is the only possible approach.

NEWs also don't work using this method, those are also shallow angle shavers, IME at least.

What is IME, TTO and NEW short for?

So the shavers that work with steep angles, do they also usually work with shallow angle?

Hits "Like" button for Dools movie clip post.

:laugh: Glad you enjoyed that....that was on page #2.....One (of MANY) joys, here, at BB, imo, is long threads that give you Lots to think about....

Also, I am Very Happy to see the steep angle discussion heat back up, here, and in other threads.

To me this is Absolutely one of those Your Mileage WILL Vary things......Razors that work, with the Steep Angle, for others, do not work for me. I ONLY use the steep angle with two DE razors, my R41 and my 39C.

I am real close to shave number 300 with a straight razor. I use the steep angle on certain sections of my face where the hair grows in such a way that I really only can get it using the steep angle. I would not want to use the steep angle on my whole face, with a SR, but, it works in certain areas......(can you tell I miss the DE crowd? :thumbup:).......

Enjoy Friends! :thumbup1:

IME in my experience
TTO Twist to open

I probably know new, but I have no idea right now what it is. Someone will hopefully respond and i'll have slap my head of course moment :)

NEW isn't an acronym. It's a Gillette razor model. As opposed to the Old Type, which is an earlier model.

That's what I thought too, which makes me wonder why everybody capitalizes the whole thing, "NEW" instead of "New". People really just enjoy using all caps for short words I guess.

That's what I thought too, which makes me wonder why everybody capitalizes the whole thing, "NEW" instead of "New". People really just enjoy using all caps for short words I guess.

I actually prefer it that way. Makes me realize when you are actually referring to the razor model. If someone typed "I managed to find a new today" I would wonder whether they forgot a word.

Top Bottom