What's new

So, what is the steep angle?

Can I talk you into looking at an OLD with a thin cap?

I'll do it, because you asked nicely. :lol:

I'll post the example of the shallow angle, the reason is that even though it works with a steep angle, it's harder to decide where to draw the line to measure the steep angle, in any case, from personal experience I know that it is not even close to a R41 steep angle.

So I will post the standard shallow angle picture and angle measurement. Give me a few minutes.

@TobyC

The Old Type, unsurprisingly is the razor with the smallest angle I've seen, 18.05 degrees.

$Single Ring Thin Cap Shallow Angle.png

Yes, thank you Edgar.

Really enjoying this thread. :thumbup1:

Thank you, Dools. :001_smile

These things are fun, and I have to thank Shawn once again for encouraging me to do these pics. As he said, they explain things better than thousands of words.

Which reminds me, I have two other pics to post, this time the Slim set to 1 an 9, showing the difference in cutting angle. Thought I'd share them as well, since I didn't post any TTO here.

$Slim @1 Angle.jpg

$Slim @9 Angle.jpg

I think these pics are interesting because they reflect why the TTO razors prefer particularly shallow angles. Sometimes people struggle to find the angle on a TTO and the usual advice is to go shallower. These pics seem to confirm just that, they don't really offer much of a choice, shallow is the only way to go. This seems to confirm my personal experience, and pretty much everybody else's.
The higher setting allows for a slightly steeper angle, given the increase from a 21 degrees to a 28 degrees angle.

Of course, we knew all this before, but it's cool to see a pic with the actual measure of the angle.

Two different U.S. NEW LC baseplates, both with patent numbers, with two different prewar Tech caps. The first one is more aggressive than the second. Blade gap is different by .002"...

The gap between the cap and baseplate looks different between the two.

I only use the first one on my head.

Attachments

• $20141101_151930.jpg
    $20141101_151930.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 329
  • $20141101_151751.jpg
    $20141101_151751.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 329
Thanks Edgar, I used my poor mans studio! I stacked two TOBS shaving cream tubs on top of each other and lay my phone on it for stability. I shined a small flash light at the cap with a Bounty paper towel, folded ounce in front of the light, to filter the light. The phones camera did the rest.

Last edited:
I have discovered that a shallow angle gives me much better shaves with OLD Gillettes, I would not have discovered this without you guys. So,... thanks fellas! :thumbup1:

$AttH1Angles.jpg

ATT H1 at both shallow and steep angles.

If I did this right, my readings were 22.5 degrees shallow and 33.0 degrees steep.

View attachment 519070

ATT H1 at both shallow and steep angles.

If I did this right, my readings were 22.5 degrees shallow and 33.0 degrees steep.

Looks good Shawn! :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing the ATT, especially the H plate.

This could fork into an entirely different topic. Can the angle be so different?

No, it's the angle of the pics I guess ... It's probably better to capture only one side at a time and measure.

Thanks for sharing the pics. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Unfortunately my GIMP (v2.6) doesn't provide angles and I cannot upgrade for reasons I'd rather not get into. PM me if you'd like the original JPEGs, although they are not of higher quality. Below I've drawn the plane from blade edge to edge in yellow and the approximate skin plane in magenta.

View attachment 518745
View attachment 518746

Given the image quality, I'd think a protractor against the screen would be just as good.

View attachment 518754
View attachment 518755

This could fork into an entirely different topic. Can the angle be so different? (the blade exposure looks the same on each side with the same setting). I'd like to think the photos are bad with bad photo angles, but 4-6 degrees is also a lot!

Shouldn't the bottom of the protractor be aligned to the blade's angle (after it is bent)?

Looking at this all again, I'm not sure which of these is the true steep angle for the ATT H1:

$ATT-H1-Angle-Shot2-zommed.jpg

Is it my prior (see a few posts up) 33° ... or from this photo, is it the yellow line's 42° ... or is it the orange line's 58°?

:001_huh:

Note: my green line's 24° is a second measure of the it's shallowest-possible angle.

And the red line tries to mark the tip and angle of the blade.

Also, for reference, this photo has the whole razor head:
$ATT-H1-Angle-Shot2.jpg

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Shawn

Last edited:
I'm thinking the yellow line makes more sense, Shawn.

Then again I haven't used the ATT so I'm not really sure ... but that picture makes me think the yellow line is the steepest you can go.

It actually looks better than the above 33°.

I'm thinking the yellow line makes more sense, Shawn.

Then again I haven't used the ATT so I'm not really sure ... but that picture makes me think the yellow line is the steepest you can go.

It actually looks better than the above 33°.

I just added a reference photo to my prior post, which is a photo of the entire razor head. Does that help?

Top Bottom