What's new

So, what is the steep angle?

Wow ... That is super cool, Achim! Thank you very much! Another VERY important factor is depicted there. Blade Exposure. Blade Exposure is not the amount of blade you see, is the amount of blade past the tangent line between the top cap and the guard.

Also interesting how the higher settings of the Adjustable will allow a slightly steeper angle,at 32° as opposed to the 22° of the lowest setting, due to the increased blade exposure.

Fantastic pics! Thanks again!

found this picture from a Gillette Salesman manual:

View attachment 466976

View attachment 466977

Great illustrations. Thanks for sharing!

This is off topic, but I find it especially interesting that Gillettee didn't discuss blade gap, but rather "Guard Span" which seems to differ In that it appears to be measured diagonally from the guard/bar instead of the shorter, vertical distance. I also like the "Cap Span" which I hadn't seen before, but which I think could affect the blades chatter (vibrations) during the shave.

Mr-razor, would you mind if I re-posted these diagrams and discussed them in a new thread?

Thanks!
Shawnsel

Last edited:

This is off topic, but I find it especially interesting that Gillettee didn't discuss blade gap, but rather "Guard Span" which seems to differ In that it appears to be measured diagonally from the guard/bar instead of the shorter, vertical distance. I also like the "Cap Span" which I hadn't seen before, but which I think could affect the blades chatter (vibrations) during the shave.

Mr-razor, would you mind if I re-posted these diagrams and discussed them in a new thread?

Thanks!
Shawnsel

The cap span is what people often wrongly refer to as blade exposure.

using that example I guess you could also measure the vertical distance between the blade and the guard, but I think some head designs can only be measured diagonally.

The important is the distance between the two points that touch your face, the edge of the blade and the edge of the guard.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Shawnsel

no problem. Here are all 5 pages:

Attachments

• $Salesman manual (1-1).jpg
    $Salesman manual (1-1).jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 946
  • $Salesman manual (2-1).jpg
    $Salesman manual (2-1).jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 946
  • $Salesman manual (3-1).jpg
    $Salesman manual (3-1).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 954
  • $Salesman manual (4-1).jpg
    $Salesman manual (4-1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 945

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Woodfluter has a thread of photos similar to salesman's manual Achim posted.
Shavewiki main page
"Intro"
"Interactive Guide to DE Shaving", then:
"5. Photo Analysis of Razor Designs"

Thanks to Edgar for starting this thread and for the diagram, and of course to Achim for his contribution. I now realise that I have been using the term blade exposure out of its actual context.

I am constantly amazed at how Achim so often appears from nowhere with information no-one has seen before. I think I can speak for all in offering thanks for his contributions.
proxy.php

many thanks! But I´m not alone. The most informations and pictures like this salesman manual, I´ve from other friendly collectors.

Great stuff. In the intro of the sheets posted by Achim it states that in 1901, yadda yadda, and after 50 years... so this puts this document roughly around 51' I would say. Also, there was a mention of the "Trio" razors. What were those??? Surely not a reference to carts yet.

Great stuff. In the intro of the sheets posted by Achim it states that in 1901, yadda yadda, and after 50 years... so this puts this document roughly around 51' I would say. Also, there was a mention of the "Trio" razors. What were those??? Surely not a reference to carts yet.

The trio are probably the color-tip super speeds: red, plain, and blue. Also known as heavy, regular, and light. They preceded the first adjustables, which this document talks about as state of the art.

As for when it was printed... earliest possible would be 1957 when the first Toggles went on sale for Christmas, right? I am not sure if the mention of "five different double edge razors" can be taken literally: sales documents often gloss over details. Whoever wrote this might not have counted the toggle, bottom dial, and fatboy as separate models, and certainly was not writing with us in mind. After 1959 the mention of 1901 plus 50 years starts to sound odd. So I would call it ca. 1957-59 and leave it at that.

Last edited:
I keep noticing some people still have doubts, nothing wrong with that, we are all learning. While these diagrams aren't the prettiest you have seen, they will help you understand what steep angle is.
This was posted a couple months back in the BEAST Zookeepers thread:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-of-the-Muhle-R41-BEAST?p=6145480#post6145480

I am too lazy to make a better version, so here it is again, this time in the Double Edge Razors forum, so more people can see it, hopefully it will be helpful.

Have a nice day, Gentlemen.

View attachment 466906
View attachment 466907
nice graph

I am posting this, not to be silly, but, to add to the discussion.

This is a little "Cross-Threading" by me, meaning, this clip is already in the "Shaving in movies..." thread, and, this clip comes from a movie talked about in the "Top 3 Westerns..." thread....

William Tell Sackett uses this Arkansas Toothpick to shave this guys stache'. He Absolutely uses the STEEP ANGLE!!

:w00t:

To me, I describe the Steep Angle as "using your razor as a hatchet rather than a knife"........It's a Chop rather than a slice.....Just my opinion.........

Great thread btw, imo of course.

Just a side-note. William Tell left that knife, in the bar, because he already had a Tinker-made knife.......... :thumbup1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom