What's new

Help to fix my G Type

Finally got the hankering to put the G type in the rotation after not using if for a long time whilst test driving some DE's.

Figured a blade swop was warranted as it looked a bit rusted and changed it , now can't shave squat - I don't seem to have any blade exposure?

What have I done wrong Help me Obewan!

Without a picture and a more detailed description of the problem, I don't understand what the problem might be. If you loaded the new blade in the normal way from an injector, into a razor containing an old blade, I can't imagine how you would not have blade exposure. Also, if the old blade was a modern, stainless, coated one, I don't understand how it could have been rusted. Do you mean that the new blade doesn't show an edge? Or that the edge just isn't sharp? Could the blade have been dulled by being dragged across the blade stops? Did you try loading another blade?

$image.jpg$image.jpgBlade is inserted above end stops but I can't seem to shave, even if I change angles it's as if blade not down enough

I think the blade is loaded correctly against the stops

Sorry about the poor photos this is an iPad after all

I will try another new blade in a couple of days and try shaving again as suggested maybe I dulled it some how whilst loading?

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Paul, it certainly looks like you have plenty of blade exposure, and the guard bar doesn't seem to be bent or out of alignment (although the pictures aren't very clear). Perhaps you just got a bad blade, or damaged it while loading. What kind of blade is it (new, old, Schick, Personna, carbon steel, stainless, etc.)? Does the razor hold the blade firmly, with no play? Does the razor rattle when you shake it?

BTW, the razor head appears to be a Type E, but the handle appears to be a Type G6. Does it happen to be Canadian? Canadian razors are great shavers, but were sometimes made from both Type E and Type G parts.

Last edited:
Xxvaleria - razor is indeed Canadian, thanks for the clarification.

Re blades , I can't remember which on line shaving supplier I bought them from but are new, I would guess not stainless as I could have sworn it was becoming rusty in the holder! All parts of razor are firm , maybe I damaged it whilst loading. I definitely had brilliant close shaves with it when I rats took it for a run . This was the second blade out of the pack

Was the first blade OK? Is the loader magazine made of metal or plastic? What is written on the loader magazine? I have a sneaking feeling that your razor is fine, but the blades might be suspect. If you can, get a pack or two of the Chick (Chinese Schick) blades on the yellow card, and give them a try. They are excellent blades, and they should help narrow down the problem.

Last edited:
Hmmm… That looks like it could be a Personna injector. I know that Personna makes injector blades in both stainless and carbon steel. I suppose that you could have received an injector full of the carbon steel blades--that would explain the rusting. Personna makes good blades, but you would want to be sure that you got the stainless PTFE coated ones and not the carbon steel ones.

I have loaded injector blades that wouldn't cut anything - after I popped it out of the razor, it wouldn't even cut paper - and then the next one out of the same pack, perfect.

-jim

just shaved with the new blade, weepers and severe burn and rash after WTG pass - had to finish off the shave with the Minora DE.

Am now inclined to think the blades are well dodgy , will only continue to use the Injector when I have some new Stainless blades.

Top Bottom