What's new

First Injector Shave

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403905767.307807.jpg

Used a vintage Eversharp blade that I picked up with the razor. I'm not sure if the blades were no good or if my Injector technique was just lacking, but it wasn't the smoothest shave I've ever had. I was able to get a DFS on my upper face, but ATG on my neck just wasn't happening. I didn't push it because I could tell it wasn't going to be good.

I know nothing about Injectors other than I thought this one looked cool when I picked it up this afternoon, but I think I like them. :)

Also, I've seen the Schick injector blades locally. Are they well thought of or are there better options?

You have what looks to be a Type G1, which is an excellent razor. The Chinese-made Schick injector blades in the yellow pack are excellent blades. Try them; you won't be disappointed.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Thanks! They are quite a bit more expensive than DE blades. Do they last any longer?

Like Tony, I get many more shaves out of an Injector - to calibrate, 4 shaves is about average with a Feather DE, one of the Chinese Schicks goes probably 12 to 15. I do 4 and one half passes, plus touch-ups. About a wash cost-wise for me

The Schick blades are the best fit for me. I tried one of the original carbon steel Eversharp-Schick blades that came with mine too. Never again.

The Schick blades are the best fit for me. I tried one of the original carbon steel Eversharp-Schick blades that came with mine too. Never again.

I'm glad that it isn't just me. It was quite a harsh shave when I tried to go ATG. WTG was fine (it is for me with most blades), but ATG was no bueno.

It may not be entirely the blade's fault. Personally I don't get along with anything earlier than the I type and get my best results with the N type (maybe the mythical type O could top it); this dovetails with my DE preference for the later SuperSpeeds and Techs of the world.

New carbon steel blades tug and pull on the first pass.
Your face strops them and they settle in to be beautifully smooth.
Also they cut best slicing at an angle like the Gillette Slide.
So many people discard carbon blades as useless because of the initial tugging, but perservere and you will be rewarded.
This is why we strop straights :)

New carbon steel blades tug and pull on the first pass.
Your face strops them and they settle in to be beautifully smooth.
Also they cut best slicing at an angle like the Gillette Slide.
So many people discard carbon blades as useless because of the initial tugging, but perservere and you will be rewarded.
This is why we strop straights :)

Hmm, this is news to me. About how long does it take for them to settle in? I just woke up and am about to have my second dance with this beauty. Hopefully it will be more enjoyable that the last.

My 2 cents-- I use only vintage blade, stainless at that. Vintage injector blade(carbon steel) are hit and miss. On the other hand the stainless are fine.I use blades from the mid '60's through the early '70's primarily. get some Chicks and enjoy that injector.

Alrighty gents, the second shave was MUCH worse than the first. I've got all sorts of razor burn and irritation, so these Eversharps are getting binned and I'll pick up some Chicks while running errands today.

If they were Eversharp blades, then it's likely they were carbon steel which will rust if not scrupulously dried and/or oiled between shaves. The stainless blades don't suffer from that problem. As Coolbus18 says, you can get fine NOS blades from the auction sites, but make sure that they are stainless.

I'm not sure that there are any tips to be given--I just shave with them until I feel that they are done. One thing I have noticed about injector blades is that they seem to go in cycles. I can get 5-7 good shaves, then a meh shave or two, then they seem to come back for another 5-7 good shaves. It sounds counter-intuitive, but the gents who have participated in the One Blade In February marathons have reported similar experiences, and there are a couple of other guys on this forum who have gotten even more shaves on a blade than I have.

Yup, Stve--I agree. It's like the blade gets a palm strop on your skin and then it's cool again. One of the reasons I really like 74's is because of the edge holding of tungsten steel. Takes a shave to smooth out and then it just consistently performs. The others I dig for the same reason are the Eversharp blades made in Holland. The plant was in Amesterdam. They used Sandvik ss made in Almstadt, Sweden. So smooth and long lasting. Injectors save me money :lol: uh huh. I shave every day and do a 3- pass. The early Schick Krona Edge (1961) are another performer --start a little rough and smoth out. But the mid '60's through '73 are my and many others faves . of course ymmv. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom