What's new

Parker 51 buying tips?

I have a few beginner fountain pens and have decided to try a Parker 51. I am guessing wEbay is my best place unless someone here tells me differently. Anythings I should look for or look out for?

Thanks

Seth

As a first "51" I would get a aerometric, and stay away from the Vacumatics

Not to hijack, but what are the advantages/disadvantages when it comes to aerometric vs vacumatic?
(curious as also interested in the 51)

Aeromatics are just about bullet proof. Check out Richard Binder's web site for the mechanical differences in terms of the filling systems.

The nice thing about Aeromatic P51s is they're likely to need only a good cleaning to get them into writing condition. The Vacumatics, if not recently restored, will need work by someone with the right skills and tools to get them back into service.

Legion

Staff member
Not to hijack, but what are the advantages/disadvantages when it comes to aerometric vs vacumatic?
(curious as also interested in the 51)

Old Aero's usually work, old vacs usually need a new diaphragm. Which is a tricky job if you don't know how, and have a couple of special tools.

Having said that, I have "won" a couple off antique store dudes.

"Does this pen work?"

"Umm, yep. Those were good pens. Reliable. Sure it works."

"How's this. You go get a glass of water. If it sucks up and squirts the water properly I'll pay the super high price you are asking. If it doesn't, then it is broken, you are a liar, and I get to pay half, which is still at least 100% more than you paid. Am I on?"

Last edited:
Check out Peyton Pens. Great service and you'll know exactly what you're getting. I've purchased 3 Vacumatic 51's over the last 6 months from this website and I am very pleased with them. And the Vac's have new diaphaghms, so you don't have to worry about leaks.

I never spent a whole bunch of time over at fountain pen network, but I did pick up a nice parker 51 and 51 demi for a decent price in their classified section a couple years ago, and they work well. or maybe you can create a wtb ad here.

Aero is easier to manage and clean. The Vac requires more patience.

I'll second the Peyton Street Pens suggestion. Terry Morris is good people and all the pens she sold my pen club were ready to write when they arrived. Decent prices too.

This site & thread has been very helpful with regard to vac's and areo's. Now, please inform me about 51 nibs.

I had a Lamy 2000 with a fine. It was too fine and scratched alot. My modern Sheaffer, with a med., tends to be just a little too broad and wet. To which side do 51 nibs lean? Based on my experiences which nib size should I get?

Thanks for the help. Ron I

Top Bottom