What's new

Your REALLY want pen.

I seem to love italic nibs and eschew normal nibs with rounded tips that make it look like you're writing with a normal pen. That's more $$.

Maybe you should look into some vintage pens; the nibs on vintage pens aren't as rounded as newer ones. Good luck with your search.

Maybe you should look into some vintage pens; the nibs on vintage pens aren't as rounded as newer ones. Good luck with your search.

I bought a couple of Esterbrook's, one with a master series nib that is really nice for general note taking every day. The other came with 1551 nib, or 1554, I can't recall. It's terrible. I bought a NOS gold italic fine that's pretty nice. I also bought a cheap $10 Schaeffer pen with a steel italic nib, and it writes the nicest of any of the pens.

So, I broke down, sold a couple of things and ordered the Pilot Namiki Falcon with the soft fine 14k nib. Black body, rhodium trim. I hope it writes better than the $10 Schaeffer. I think it will. I love all the demo's I've seen. 3 weeks ago I gave no thought to fountain pens. Now I have 3 with a $150 pen on the way, along with a lot of 7 bottles of ink. It's like living in a crack house with a bunch of guys who can afford crack constantly and he main goal is to get more guys hooked.

Isn't America great?

After reading this thread, I think the Pilot Namiki is what I want..

Actually "Pilot Namiki" is not a pen but a brand. Pilot felt that in the US people associated the name "Pilot" with cheap disposable pens so for their fountain pens they sell them under the "Namiki" name. In Japan there is actually no "Namiki" pens, just "Pilot". Namiki was the original name of the company by the way.

The one I want most is the Pilot VP.

That's my most used pen. It may even be my favorite. I know they're spendy, but it's hard to beat the convenience of a clicker type fountain pen. I highly recommend the carbonesque models. That finish is nicer (grippier, warmer, more tactile, etc.) than the lacquered versions.

-Andy

Top Bottom