What's new

One-Thousandth Post (for real this time! Reflection and PIF

I'm in!

I've been a participant in several varying forums and I'd have to say that B&B is among the most civil and friendly of the lot. In general, internet forums are not for the sensitive or thin-skinned individual with all the trolling and the safety of relative anonymity allowing individuals to behave in such a way that they would never behave face to face. (Unless they are some kind of sociopath) I learned very quickly to avoid any threads revolving around politics, current events or religion. People can be so rude, hateful and vicious. I recall a particular exchange on another forum with a female individual who had a reputation of being very sweet and she was very popular and well-known on the forum. She had expressed a particular opinion on a current events/political topic and I defended a counter opinion which was not in agreement with her stand. This nice, gentle kitten turned into a raging tigress. The claws came out and she ripped me to shreds! She eventually apologized but the deed was already done. That's why I find the good behavior here to be so refreshing.

I'm not certain of what behavior you've observed here that would be ungentlemanly. If by gentlemanly you mean the lofty behavior exhibited by butlers and proper high society then there are probably a fair amount of times behavior here might fall short of that. My experience here is that people are friendly, welcoming, supportive, and helpful. Behavior falling short of that is the exception and I've seen very little of it. If a topic comes up that suggests the possibility of undesirable behavior (sexual or hot-button issues) then I would recommend avoiding or not reading the thread.

I'm in...thanks for the generous opportunity.

One of the things that has kept me reading and coming back to B&B is the fact that the majority of the conversations are in a gentlemanly manner. However, that doesn't mean that ever once in a while someone slips. I have noticed lately that some individuals get quite defensive when someone doesn't agree with their opinion. In my opinion the whole wet shaving movement is all about YMMV. We all need to remember that when replying to posts on individuals opinions. Again this is only a few...not the majority.

Peace to all

I'm in! And congratulations! Not very many posts under my belt, but I would like to add to the discussion.

When the OP writes of a time when people were more gentlemanly, I believe he's referring to something that in reality never really existed. The rudeness and incivility was always there, it was just harder for the rest of us at large to find out about it. Possibly that's why there were books even back then that tried to teach us how to behave. What has changed is the medium by which such rude behavior is transmitted. Back in the day, if you said an off-color joke, or exhibited questionable behavior, it was "confined to room," so to speak. It took real effort for the world to find out about such bad behavior. With social media and the internet, thought becomes word becomes publication. This has led to the rise of the "need" for political correctness, because the filter of time (to cool down and think about what should not have been said or done) has been removed.

On the flip side, I do believe that the effort to be more gentlemanly has always been there, and should continue to be a laudable goal. I'd rather take the time to make a potential friend than waste the energy and create an adversary.

As I said before, I haven't really posted much, but I have read this forum for at least couple of years. Most everyone seems to be extremely friendly, helpful, and willing to share their experiences. And I, for one, am glad that this forum exists.

Not in, But a well written Reflection Timothy.

I agree with you 100% on people acting ungentlemanly on here....thankfully it does not happen too much.
I think an issue is that people think because they are a wet-shaver and on this forum that they are automatically a gentleman. Calling yourself a gentleman does NOT make you a gentleman....acting like a gentleman makes you a gentleman.

I'm in as this is one of the soaps that I've been wanting to try. Although I have yet to see much of what you discuss, I highly agree with you. Although I do talk like a sailor on shore leave in real life sometimes, I highly believe such behavior doesn't belong here. Neither does conversations of both religion or politics, as those can break down pretty fast and the fact that we all have our different beliefs of both. As far as the sex issue, I think as long as it's tastefully done (pin up pictures with no nudity and tasteful jokes) and offends no one then that's fine. Of all these topics you have to realise that there are women and the young here. I feel that if you wouldn't say or show it around your loved ones or more to the point your mother, then it shouldn't be here. I know that there are different views than my own and I say to each their own.

Congratulations on reaching 1,000 posts and thank you for this PIF. I'm going to have to think about my future 1,000 post PIF.

I definitely agree with this one. The world and a lot of people living here seem to lower their standards day by day. This is common in the music younger people listen to. The new generation is being "sucked in" to a culture of possessions, status, and mannerless action. They take pride in the belittlement of others and I just find it disturbing. I hope to raise my 2 1/2 month old son to respect others, and the world. To act in a way that his grandfathers would approve of, "do unto others as he would have them do unto him". I try to look at each situation from a standpoint of an onlooker and not take bias until bias is well-grounded. However, some things just need to be nipped in the bud, for lack of better words. And on this forum particularly we should abide in a way that we would be proud of our real world family and friends to see.

With that being said, I'm in on this sweet PIF

I'm in, congrats, and i agree entirely with Kevin

There are ways to discuss religion, politics, sex and drugs without unnecessary offense, or descending in to acrimony or using rude, dismissive or abusive language. I suppose in an open forum your going to get a wide variety of views and what i like about B&B is that the members work together to negotiate, establish and enforce boundaries of behaviour that are acceptable to the whole community. This is never-ending work: it's how communities are built and sustained.

Thanks for the pif!

I'm in!

New guy here so my point of view may not carry as much weight.

This is a good forum with good people. It is important to hold ourselves to a high standard and I appreciate what you are saying.

One thing I disagree with - I don't think that being a gentleman means not discussing politics, religion, or any subject that someone may disagree or be offended by.

It is important, as a gentleman, to be reverent toward certain issues and to respect people but it is perfectly fine and right to disagree and also to put forth the ideas we as individuals find most worthy.

I think a major part of being a gentleman is that we learn to hear things that we disagree with and try to see it from the other's viewpoint. Also to learn that being offended is a choice and we can choose to not be offended.

Not in. Thanks for the PIF so a winner can try a new product for free!

Forgiveness is more gentlemanly than some who tries to be "PC" about things and holds the pompus grudge to label another for a remark. If everyone were to follow the "rules to be a gentleman" what a boring world this would be. Stuffy, arrogant, sanctimonious. Be yourself, appoligize if you offend, forgive if offended and know you're unique and that's just great. IMHO, of course.

EDIT: I agree with Kevin_Hisel as well. We must discuss issues he points out lest we be ignorant to them.

Last edited:
After reading the above well-written opinions on the topic I am even more impressed with the level of "Class" within the Badger & Blade community. Proud to part of it!

One thing I disagree with - I don't think that being a gentleman means not discussing politics, religion, or any subject that someone may disagree or be offended by.

I was not referring to a friendly and considerate exchange of views on these subjects. I agree with you that such exchanges can and often do take place among gentlemen who happen to disagree.

I was referring to the type of exchange which degenerates into a heated debate and which often gives rise to derogatory language.

I'm IN! Thanks!
It's mostly children that I find in this forums. Some, however, grown up but still children.

Last edited:
$emmett.jpg

I try to be a gentlemen despite my inner nature.

I was not referring to a friendly and considerate exchange of views on these subjects. I agree with you that such exchanges can and often do take place among gentlemen who happen to disagree.

I was referring to the type of exchange which degenerates into a heated debate and which often gives rise to derogatory language.

I agree with you - heated debate can deteriorate quickly and the use of derogatory language mostly shows a lack of imagination and is not the standard I personally strive for.

Thanks Timothy, I think it is an awesome discussion to be had - I'm sorry that some took it harshly. Also, thanks for putting forth the PIF, it is a neat thing this community does - I can't wait to pay it forward myself.

I believe that the following serves as a good representation of my own point of view.

B&B has always prided itself on being family friendly. Whatever you post here at B&B ought to be of the category that you'd feel no discomfort sharing it with your child, your wife, your mom, or your family Priest or Pastor.
If you can't tell what would be acceptable to those people, you're probably not a good fit here at B&B and might want to consider other forums as your home.

I ask every member of B&B to make a renewed effort to consider what's in your post before you hit "submit" and to help all of your fellow members out by reporting posts that you feel "cross the line"
B&B is only as good as the members here permit it to be, and we are much better than that.

By and large, the members of B&B are some of the sharpest, literate people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Surely we can express ourselves without stooping to expletives and distasteful posts.

Here is the entire post and subsequent thread. Please note that this post was written by one of our moderators.

Congratulations on your 1k(+6) posts!
I'm in, thanks for the chance to try a new software.

First of all, I must say B&B is one of the more "gentlemany" forums I've seen. So many members, and the very majority striving to be civil, giving advice, helping out the less experienced and generally just making it a pleasant place. Then of course, there will always be a few incidents relative to the otherwise polite posts, that some people will find offending, while other ones may not react at all.

I'm in...

Feeling that British society still holds some remnants of Genteel Society I referenced the Oxford dictionary.
Gentleman:
A chivalrous, courteous, or honourable man.

Chivalrous:
(Of a man or his behaviour) courteous and gallant, especially towards women.

Courteous:
Polite, respectful, or considerate in manner.

Honour:
The quality of knowing and doing what is morally right.

We all need an occasional reminder to keep our bearing high. Thank you Timothy, for the reminder to step up my game so to speak.

Im in
I haven't been here too long but I have already learnt so much from the kind and generous people here at B and B. I have seen a few posts of which needless arguments take place and personally choose to ignore the behavior. This is a forum very lucky to have moderators that dedicate so much to keep B and B gentlemanly. Id like to take this opportunity to thank everyone, who uses this forum for its purpose, for teaching a young 22 year old to shave like a gentleman. I praise your PIF to try and make already high standards higher

Top Bottom