What's new

One-Thousandth Post (for real this time! Reflection and PIF

I'm in!

New guy here so my point of view may not carry as much weight.

This is a good forum with good people. It is important to hold ourselves to a high standard and I appreciate what you are saying.

One thing I disagree with - I don't think that being a gentleman means not discussing politics, religion, or any subject that someone may disagree or be offended by.

It is important, as a gentleman, to be reverent toward certain issues and to respect people but it is perfectly fine and right to disagree and also to put forth the ideas we as individuals find most worthy.

I think a major part of being a gentleman is that we learn to hear things that we disagree with and try to see it from the other's viewpoint. Also to learn that being offended is a choice and we can choose to not be offended.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
The Membership of Badger and Blade, throughout the years, has defined and refined the idea of what a Gentleman should be. It is however, an ideal that can be strived for but not necessarily attained, after all no one is perfect.

Some may agree with the OP's view, some may disagree. As long as it is a Gentlemanly disagreement I can't imagine it being anything but positive.

I feel Badger and Blade is a forum where you can surf the threads with your Child or Grandchild on your lap without worrying about what will be displayed on the screen.

I'm in, thanks and congratulations on the milestone.
In my life I am usually te guy that will offend, because I feel that we have become far too sensative in this day and age. Nobody can say anything for fear that someone somewhere may get offended. In my real life I don't use filters. I have no use for them.
Here on this forum, I can say that in the beginning of my time here I had to check myself a lot, (and other times had it done for me). Since then I've found it easier to put on my filter. As I realize that not all men have the same lack of concern about what others say and feel as I do, and I'm ok with that. We are all different people that come from different places. And I think that that is a good thing.
As for people pushing the limits on sexual related topics, I haven't seen it.
Once again, congratulations on hitting the 1000 post mark.

I'm in.

I'd like to say that while I haven't been perusing the board for long, I find this forum to be one of the most mild mannered of the many that I spend time on.

I cannot say that I completely share your views in their entirety. While I do agree that the subjects you mentioned can be rather sensitive, I don't feel that they need to be avoided all together. I feel that one of the most important qualities in being a gentleman is not to only appeal to sensitivities, but be able to eloquently express views while engaging in a potentially touchy conversation.

Ok. I'll bite and "I'm In!"

I am by nature analytical and therefore usually try and see all perspectives before choosing my own. I see that the OP has been around these boards for roughly 2 years. I would surmise that there is an upward trend in course posts as opposed to what perhaps was the median tone of posts 2 years ago. I would also go so far as to say that the spike in interest in wet shaving would parallel that same trend if both were to be graphed out. I agree with all of those who have posted before me (including the OP).

Strolling the halls of this forum should at least make you more aware of your behavior and hopefully inspire you to want to be viewed by your peers (online & in the flesh) as a gentleman. Now I can't expect your definition of a gentleman to match mine perfectly, but they should both be similar in one regard and that is in the way that we approach and respect one another regardless of circumstances. I have seen some course posts and after careful consideration have chimed in once or twice. I have seen both member and mod reveal that they are just mere men after all and not impervious to the sensitivities that certain chords strike.

I agree that one shouldn't have to feel like they have to "walk on eggshells" in the company of others and that they should feel at ease to express themselves in a manner befitting of the situation. I personally do not use vulgar language or subscribe to the theory that vulgar = funny or that someone who may take offense "has no sense of humor". I also hold to the theory that there is a time and place for everything and would consider myself remiss if I were to act in a manner that would offend others, especially if I knew beforehand that I would be offensive.

I am man enough to admit publicly when I have crossed a line and make amends. I also am man enough to avoid areas of the forum that I feel may rub me the wrong way (Simple example: I just stopped by a club for the good food, but complain about the loud music?!) Know the environment that you are in and if you're unsure, then be a wallflower long enough to understand before taking to the floor.

Finally. Where would all of the great jokes have come from if there weren't mishaps along the way? Lunch with Springs1; Stan the Man; etc.

Which ultimately proves that this place has developed a fairly decent balance between being gentle and being man.

To all of my fellow gentleman Cheers! To the OP Congrats on batting 1000! and yes I do wish this thread was more celebratory...:aureola:
:jump: :jump::a54::a17::sob::a22:
:popc:

Last edited:
I'm in.
There have been few posts that I would count as ungentlemenly, but not by much. This truly is a forum for the Gentlemen, let's keep it that way.

I'm in, this is a very gracious offering!

In my 9 months on the forum, I've experienced mostly a gentalmanly manner about most of the members I've had a chance to run in to. I believe having a good discussion from time to time on what a true gentalman really is, is quite important. A gentalman does not need to kiss and tell, brag on conquests, talk down to to others, attempt to push the boundaries, or push others to do so. A gentalman keeps his head high and his judgment for himself. Best wishes. Thank you for the PIF!

I'm in.

Great PIF Timothy!

I concur with your thoughts. The past year I have received a lot of great ideas from fellow members and have even had members send me new blades to try out........unsolicited. Overall, this is a very giving and helpful bunch.

Thanks,

Bob

I'm in. I have not come across ungentlemanly conversation here but then I stay mostly on the shaving related boards and stay our of the clownhouse or other general boards.

I'm in thank you as I'd like to try the Irish Moos and love shave sticks especially for head shaving.

As for your thoughts. I have found the majority of the members on this board very helpful and polite. Like with any internet forums you'll have a few people that like to stir the pot, but I find that a lot less here than on other forums I frequent. The only time I can remember being a little put off is during some discussions if a member was looking to use a product that was contained less chemicals or didn't want to use a product that was tested on animals, there would be a few members that pretty much resorted to calling them a tree-hugging no good hippie and seemed to go out of their way to insult that person for holding such views.

Thanks for the great PIF. I'm in!

As for your thoughts above, while there are probably some posts that push the envelope a little bit, this forum is by far the most gentlemanly internet forum I have ever been a part of.

The moderators and the members hold an incredibly high standard of conduct here, and I am privileged to be a part.

I'm in!
Maybe I don't peruse the same threads you do, but I don't see the pushing of the envelope regarding sex related matters. But, if you do see something that offends you, or you feel is ungentlemanly (is that even a word?), hit the Report Post button.

I don't see it either....

I find OP's condescending views expressed from a personal ideology perspective on a public shaving forum inappropriate and ungentlemanly. As for this site, I believe the mods here at B&B do an amazing job keeping things in check and look forward to seeing how the mods tackle this already controversial thread. :popc:

I don't view gentlemanly behavior as being tied to any particular ideology. Not very long ago, most people living in our country didn't either and that is why a classy code of conduct prevailed in the realm of polite society regardless of social class, political affiliation, religion, etc. In my opinion, this made life far simpler and more enjoyable mainly because people paid more attention to their surroundings in all they said and did. Judging from the various corrections and reminders issued by the moderators on this site on a regular basis, I believe they have much the same thing in mind.

Some will surely say these are outdated, but just for context, here are some excerpts from Amy Vanderbilt's Complete Book of Etiquette (1957): "Do not: seat yourself while ladies are standing; keep your hat on while talking to a lady; speak intimately of any girl or woman to other men; fail to pull out a lady's chair for her or fail to serve her or to see that she is served first; criticize another's religion, belittle his race or country...; fail to give due respect to a clergyman of any faith, to a woman of any religious order."

Somehow I just can see any of this as being controversial. It seems like common sense, which should transcend particular ideology. In my opinion, if folks want to make out-of-place references or use foul language, they should do so using private messaging so that others are not forced to consume the material while reading an otherwise enjoyable post.

I wouldn't be here if I didn't view B&B as being different from the other forums. And I believe the moderators here do a fantastic job. What may come across to some as high-handedness and prudishness is merely meant to be food for thought in all sincerity.

:a22:

Congratulations Timothy on your 1,000 post and time here on the forum. I will pass on the PIF but that is very nice of you, such a rare soap these days. I appreciate the spirit of your comments and I can see how on very rare occasions a member's gentlemanly sensibilities may be offended. Sure, we see some threads about "poster girls" thats may get a little PG-13 and people are free to share a thought on social or political issues and sometimes that gets lively but nothing more than what may be shared around the water cooler or at the barbershop. But I must say that those incidents are extremely rare, perhaps 1 post out of thousands gets close to or crosses that imaginary line. And when that happens either a member or Mod addresses the impropriety in a timely manner.

IMO, the level of respect, class, friendliness, and genuine good nature is far above the norm of online forums and even most work places and social groups. I am proud to be part of such a community and I strive to contribute in kind.

IMO, the level of respect, class, friendliness, and genuine good nature is far above the norm of online forums and even most work places and social groups. I am proud to be part of such a community and I strive to contribute in kind.

I agree with you entirely.

I'm in. Thanks for the generous PIF.

In the year plus I've been a member, I can't say that I've seen any real use of profanity (other than "@#$%!" and similar in discussions about bad shaves), and I can't recall *any* "sexual content" (let alone "constant pushing of the envelope"). The rare cases I've seen where politics or religion come up inappropriately are usually tamped down by other users, and if that's not enough, by the moderators. I've seen people apologize for getting out of line. This is actually one of the most "gentlemanly" places on the net in my experience. This sounds like another case of this site's mantra -- YMMV.

I'm in!

I think many on these forum can be considered true gentlemen as they fall under the following definition.

"The forbearing use of power does not only form a touchstone, but the manner in which an individual enjoys certain advantages over others is a test of a true gentleman.
The power which the strong have over the weak, the employer over the employed, the educated over the unlettered, the experienced over the confiding, even the clever over the silly--the forbearing or inoffensive use of all this power or authority, or a total abstinence from it when the case admits it, will show the gentleman in a plain light.
The gentleman does not needlessly and unnecessarily remind an offender of a wrong he may have committed against him. He cannot only forgive, he can forget; and he strives for that nobleness of self and mildness of character which impart sufficient strength to let the past be but the past. A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others."

Robert E. Lee

Top Bottom