What's new

Chubby 2 two band VS Thater 4125 two band

I own the chubby and find its damn near perfect for me, super soft, dense and backbone galore...BUT I have been seriously interested in the thater from the reviews I have read. My question is do I really need the thater? will it be better than the chubby in the those three aspects? or is it just a good brush that may be on par but doesnt surpass the chubby. I hope some of you guys on here have owned both and can chime in on this. Thanks!

I think you like the thater two band. Super soft acceptable density and sufficient backbone. It is more similar to M&F two band with little less density.

I love my Chubby 2. It's great for soaps, creams, bowl lathering, and face lathering. One more brush never hurt anybody, though.

The Thater will be probably be as soft if not softer. Its going to be nowhere near as dense, but it will have much better flow through. And the loft is going to be higher, so it won't have as much backbone. Being that the Thater is 2-band, it will still have good backbone, just not nearly as much as your Chubby. These brushes couldn't be any farther apart if you ask me and you would benefit from owning both IF you are looking for variety. If you're looking to have a similar experience I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

I have both. "Better" and "on par" are subjective. If faced with the same decision, I would pass on purchasing a Thater. To me, after experiencing a Chubby 2 2-band, my Thater is borderline floppy.

Don't get me wrong, Thater brushes are great. Sadly, they do not have the backbone a Chubby 2 2-band has. If Thater would drop the loft on their brushes. . . .they would smoke / crush just about anything on the market.

The Thater will be probably be as soft if not softer. Its going to be nowhere near as dense, but it will have much better flow through. And the loft is going to be higher, so it won't have as much backbone. Being that the Thater is 2-band, it will still have good backbone, just not nearly as much as your Chubby. These brushes couldn't be any farther apart if you ask me and you would benefit from owning both IF you are looking for variety. If you're looking to have a similar experience I would encourage you to look elsewhere.

I think this nails it. If you lean toward scritch or scrub (which some people mean when they say backbone) then you might find the Thater too "soft" but if you simply mean it won't collapse on you face as you use then give the Thater a try. The 2-band Thaters are incredibly soft, with good backbone, and a density that feels good on the face but allows you to whip up lather really easily and apply it to your face nicely instead of the brush acting as an eraser and removing lather - as some really dense brushes seem to do.

So how is the splay on the brush? density I can lose a little bit as long as the backbone is there? is the thater gonna turn to mush if I press down on it on my face?

So how is the splay on the brush? density I can lose a little bit as long as the backbone is there? is the thater gonna turn to mush if I press down on it on my face?

If you get the 2 band bulb it will have plenty of backbone to face lather.

I have both. "Better" and "on par" are subjective. If faced with the same decision, I would pass on purchasing a Thater. To me, after experiencing a Chubby 2 2-band, my Thater is borderline floppy.

Don't get me wrong, Thater brushes are great. Sadly, they do not have the backbone a Chubby 2 2-band has. If Thater would drop the loft on their brushes. . . .they would smoke / crush just about anything on the market.

This!

I like my Thater 4125 2-band, but it is not a favorite. In my view it is too floppy. It is the opposite of my Chubby 2 2-band.

I've had both and sold the Thater 4125, although I liked the handle a lot. They're fundamentally different brushes. If you like density and backbone, you may not like the Thater, even in 2-band. The loft on the Thater is set higher than I prefer, and the brush almost feels floppy compared to the Chubby.

I'm currently waiting for a custom ivory Shavemac with the 173 handle, which is similar to the Thater 4125 handle. With a D01 2-band knot set at a loft of my choosing, I get the handle I like with a knot that has the density and backbone I prefer.

Last edited:
I'm a little confused. All the vendors have either "Simpsons Chubby 2 in Best Badger" or "Simpsons Chubby 2 in Super Badger".
I don't see "two band" written anywhere, just on West Coast Shaving site, but they're out of stock. Can someone explain this to me?

Simpsons only sells 2 bands direct now.

Two-band has been limited for a long while, something to do with them not finding hair that meets their spec. Whatever they have left they release very slowly. Manchurian, OTOH, remains much more plentiful.

I have not had the pleasure of trying a Chubby 2-band, but I have some premium M&F and Rooney brushes, and my Thäter 4125/2 is absolutely one of my favorites. Soft, soft, soft, but not floppy. I really enjoy using it, and while I'm sure a Chubby 2-band is nice, I can't imagine it blowing the 4125 out of the water. Add to that it's twice the price, and I would have a difficult time recommending it.

I own both too , and completely agree with some above posts. The Thater is a great brush with a luxurious character to it's hair, great handle, highest quality build...BUT it just can't mess with the Chubby 2 2-Band IMHO! The Chubby 2 is just the right size with hair that I love and have hardly ever heard anyone dislike. It holds heat and envelops the face in a massaging pillow of badger goodness...Chubby 2 2-Bands are just special! Again the Thater 2-Band is not a bad addition to a collection of nice usable brushes, and they have solidly good value/price, especially for their level of quality...I just couldn't ever see anyone preferring the Thater 4125 2-B in any size or style knot, over a Simpson Chubby 2 2-Band.

My thater 2 band is awesome, and it's not floppy because I got the blub shape, which is a MUST. It doesn't have the backbone of the Super CH2 2-band, but I love them both.

Top Bottom