What's new

Make shaving stick from tallow shaving soap?

I was browsing the forum today, and came accross the "How to Mill any soap into a container ~ Photo Tutorial" thread, which I have used for reference in the past. But just reading the title today made me wonder; Instead of milling a tallow shaving stick into a bowl, can one take a tallow shaving soap puck, and mill that into a shaving stick-style container to make a shaving stick? Obviously one cannot melt a tallow soap, like a glycerin soap, so I was just wondering, is it possible? My worry would be whether the stick would be durable enough after such a procedure.

I just milled a couple of tallow soaps into some wooden bowls this weekend (one MWF and one Williams) and they seemed to firm up really well after they'd been milled & pressed into the bowls. I bet you could do the same in stick form.

I'm actually planning on doing the opposite, milling a couple of sticks into a couple of bowls.

I've milled one of my soaps into a bowl, once you put a little water into it and tamp it down well, it gets pretty solid. Not quite as hard as it was originally, but it holds together just fine. I think you could get it done with a solid empty deodorant container or some such.

Top Bottom