What's new

Nivea Original versus Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream

The Nivea Sensitive shaving gel is even better than the tube. Apply after washing your face, it goes on thick, then run your hands under warm water and thin it out till it reaches the optimal consistency of thin but not runny. Great protection, great glide, and extremely smooth skin afterwards.

Your friend sounds like my wife. Anything that has more than two syllables freaks her out and then she finds the first negative write up she can find and sends it to me. I've often found that many of those articles don't hold up to critical thought and scientific methodology. Many times they find a single study that finds something and then the data is misinterpreted into fear mongering propaganda.

My wife is anti-preservatives so I made some had lotion, slope the batch in half. I put a full spectrum preservative (.5% by weight) in one and left the other one au natural. Left open (but untouched by fingers) the non preservative sample had fluffy growths forming. The product was essentially a growth medium for bacteria/yeast/fungus. I probably don't have to tell you which one I would rather be smearing on my freshly shaven skin.

Also, just as an FYI, and a fun point to set your buddy off on wild tangents, rosemary extract, vitamin E, and grapefruit seed extract ARE NOT full spectrum preservatives, and will not inhibit growth of nasties. They can be used to aid the full spectrum preservative but not stand alone.

Cheers, and enjoy your shaves with whatever products you choose to use.

PS - the Cream is good stuff.

I shall be shaving with some Nivea Sensitive tonight! :laugh:

Yeah, that was about the only site I could find that had anything negative to say about dimethicone. Actually, I just got back from "Trader Joe's" with my wife and looked at their brand of balms and lotions. All of them had dimethicone. They're usually pretty good about not having anything with harmful ingredients. So, I'm pretty relieved to know that it isn't as bad as I thought. I truly do love the smell of this stuff.

I shall be shaving with some Nivea Sensitive tonight! :laugh:

Yeah, that was about the only site I could find that had anything negative to say about dimethicone. Actually, I just got back from "Trader Joe's" with my wife and looked at their brand of balms and lotions. All of them had dimethicone. They're usually pretty good about not having anything with harmful ingredients. So, I'm pretty relieved to know that it isn't as bad as I thought. I truly do love the smell of this stuff.

So you could compare it to TOBS for me? Since TOBS is a lot more expensive I want to know if there are creams that come close! Thanks a lot Calm.

Nivea shaving cream canned goo was definitely my jam before I started DE and getting into all this other stuff. That led me naturally to their extra sensitive balm......that's the only hold-over product I still use from cartridge days. Don't see any reason to stop, either; it's cheap, super effective, and those bottles seem to last a while for me.

So you could compare it to TOBS for me? Since TOBS is a lot more expensive I want to know if there are creams that come close! Thanks a lot Calm.

Just got home from work/class.

The shave was wonderful! Being as the TOBS Almond has been the only real (not from a can) shaving cream I've ever tried prior, I'd have to say they are very similar. I would give the edge just slightly to the TOBS. I felt that TOBS had a little more dense and protective lather. Yet, the Nivea was definitely the slicker of the two.

Not to say the Nivea didn't give me a good, quality shave...it did. Has the terrific scent I'm addicted to, super easy to make very shaveable lather, and cheap/available locally. It will definitely be in my rotation. I think I'm just use to really, extra thick, explosive cushion-y lather that the cream like TOBS or tallow soaps I'm used to, provided. TOBS has slickness, but Nivea definitely is slick. Really slick.

Overally they are just about neck and neck for me. I'd say personal preference, I just happen to like the TOBS a wee bit more.

I hope this helped somewhat, haha. :blush:

Just got home from work/class.

The shave was wonderful! Being as the TOBS Almond has been the only real (not from a can) shaving cream I've ever tried prior, I'd have to say they are very similar. I would give the edge just slightly to the TOBS. I felt that TOBS had a little more dense and protective lather. Yet, the Nivea was definitely the slicker of the two.

Not to say the Nivea didn't give me a good, quality shave...it did. Has the terrific scent I'm addicted to, super easy to make very shaveable lather, and cheap/available locally. It will definitely be in my rotation. I think I'm just use to really, extra thick, explosive cushion-y lather that the cream like TOBS or tallow soaps I'm used to, provided. TOBS has slickness, but Nivea definitely is slick. Really slick.

Overally they are just about neck and neck for me. I'd say personal preference, I just happen to like the TOBS a wee bit more.

I hope this helped somewhat, haha. :blush:

Yes it did, it learned me I should buy TOBS only if I like a smell they have I cannot get elsewhere for cheaper if that makes sense. :p

Its been years since I used the original which was only ok at best. Happened to see a tube of Sensitive at Walmart and bought it as it was only $3.67 I think? Easy lather with only a tiny drop, great performance and nice post shave feel, I really dig the scent as well so needless to day I bought a lifetime supply.

Top Bottom