What's new

Nivea Original versus Nivea Sensitive Shave Cream

We must be in the middle of a renaissance for wet shaving. When I picked this up yesterday at a Wegmans supermarket, which is a growing regional chain, the men's shaving aisle had Nivea Sensitive cream, Cremo, Williams, VdH Deluxe soap, the VdH badger brush on its own, and the whole VdH set of brush, soap and bowl. These products were given prime position at eye level, while canned goo was relegated to the bottom shelf.

Not to threadjack, but I have noticed the same. My Walmart has gotten more products includiing VDH TTO Razors and Blades. I am seeing more items here and there. Hope the trend continues!

We have some Tom Thumb stores here in DFW, which are owned by Safeway. I'm going to have to stop by one and see if they're also carrying Nivea.

Score!!! I stopped by a Tom Thumb store in Irving, and they indeed had tubes of Nivea Sensitive cream for $3.49 each. It's marked as a "New" product on the box, so hopefully it'll catch on and they'll eventually offer the regular version here, as well.

I have a tube of regular and it is fantastic. However, IMO the Bulgarian creams take the cake. They are so easy to lather and it is a perfect lather IMO.

Before switching to a DE I was using a Gillette Mach3 Turbo. I had ingrown hairs and all the usual teenage/twenties issues, and no doubt a very bad technique, so I used the Nivea Sensitive Shaving Gell for years and never strayed. Then I ran out while on an extended work trip, so I grabbed the Sensitive Cream as in your photo solely because it was significantly smaller for my travel pack.

Then I got into DE wet shaving and continued to use the cream, and I think it's fantastic... I have NO comparison with any other products or soaps for wet shaving, and every other time I shave I think "Should I buy a soap or cream as a comparison" but it's one of those "not-broke-don't-fixit" things for me right now.

The low scent is important too, I recently developed perfume allergies and a lot of strong scents make me itchy and sneezy.

Highly recommend this product!

I had never seen this cream in general stores in Michigan before last week. I saw it in a Rite Aid in Battle Creek for about $4.50 for the Sensitive. I will try it soon. Lots of positive reviews.

The tube of Nivea Sensitive has a better scent IMO. Same goes for the aftershave balm. The regular is better but the sensitive has a better scent so I use the sensitive.

That is true. The sensitive cream has a scent that I wish a lot of other things had. Shaving wise though, the performance is more in the blue tube.

Figured it is better to revive an older thread than to create another one...

I just picked up two tubes of Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream today only to discover it has Dimethicone and learn about how bad it is. Has anyone used this cream for a considerable amount of time without any ill effects?

Haven't seen the sensitive version here (in Berlin, Germany) yet, only the "mild" (original). IMHO the package designer should be fired. That new graphical design is just awful. Aswell as the the scent designer. I don't like the "Nivea Men" trademark scent at all, but that's just me.

Strangely, in Germany only the "Mild" (in some markets labelled "Original") cream is available, even though both "Sensitive" and "Mild" shaving creams are manufactured in Germany.

Not even the official Nivea store in downtown Hamburg carries the "Sensitive" cream.

B.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I'm halfway through a tube of Nivea Sensitive, good stuff.

Brunet, PJC or Pharmaprix ?

I don't think they are on special anymore but it was Pharmaprix in place ville-Marie

I don't think they are on special anymore but it was Pharmaprix in place ville-Marie

I didn't knew they had the 'Original' version, I have the Sensitive which I appreciate a lot. I'll keep an eye open for future discounts : )

Figured it is better to revive an older thread than to create another one...

I just picked up two tubes of Nivea Sensitive Shaving Cream today only to discover it has Dimethicone and learn about how bad it is. Has anyone used this cream for a considerable amount of time without any ill effects?

I've used Dimethicone in body butter emulsions and other similar products and from my research it's a safe and acceptable ingredient. From Swiftcraftymonkey this compound can be used for the following reasons:

good emollient and lubricant
skin feel modifier (more glide, feels silkier)
water barrier protectant
protectant against the elements
conditioner
film former
anti-whitening and spreading agent

It's used up to 5% by weight, so it's not in very high concentrations. It's also regularly found shampoos and conditioners.

May I ask where you "learned how bad it is", as that's contrary to my research.

I've used Dimethicone in body butter emulsions and other similar products and from my research it's a safe and acceptable ingredient. From Swiftcraftymonkey this compound can be used for the following reasons:

good emollient and lubricant
skin feel modifier (more glide, feels silkier)
water barrier protectant
protectant against the elements
conditioner
film former
anti-whitening and spreading agent

It's used up to 5% by weight, so it's not in very high concentrations. It's also regularly found shampoos and conditioners.

May I ask where you "learned how bad it is", as that's contrary to my research.

I will admit, I'm very under educated when it comes to this. I happen to live in a pretty liberal-hippy area and when I returned home with some cream, a buddy of mine freaked out when he read "dimethicone."

I had no idea even what the stuff was, so he sent me a link:

http://cincovidas.com/dimethicone-the-truth-behind-this-common-cosmetics-ingredient/

Now, I know it's an obviously biased and probably uninformed article, but it just got me thinking and second guessing, that's all. I'm no where near a purist when it comes to that stuff, I don't mind preservatives and the like. I just didn't know if scrubbing water blocking silicon into my face was such a good idea or not.

Now, I'm definitely more interested in trying out this cream. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
I will admit, I'm very under educated when it comes to this. I happen to live in a pretty liberal-hippy area and when I returned home with some cream, a buddy of mine freaked out when he read "dimethicone."

I had no idea even what the stuff was, so he sent me a link:

http://cincovidas.com/dimethicone-the-truth-behind-this-common-cosmetics-ingredient/

Now, I know it's an obviously biased and probably uninformed article, but it just got me thinking and second guessing, that's all. I'm no where near a purist when it comes to that stuff, I don't mind preservatives and the like. I just didn't know if scrubbing water blocking silicon into my face was such a good idea or not.

Now, I'm definitely more interested in trying out this cream. :thumbup1:

Your friend sounds like my wife. Anything that has more than two syllables freaks her out and then she finds the first negative write up she can find and sends it to me. I've often found that many of those articles don't hold up to critical thought and scientific methodology. Many times they find a single study that finds something and then the data is misinterpreted into fear mongering propaganda.

My wife is anti-preservatives so I made some had lotion, slope the batch in half. I put a full spectrum preservative (.5% by weight) in one and left the other one au natural. Left open (but untouched by fingers) the non preservative sample had fluffy growths forming. The product was essentially a growth medium for bacteria/yeast/fungus. I probably don't have to tell you which one I would rather be smearing on my freshly shaven skin.

Also, just as an FYI, and a fun point to set your buddy off on wild tangents, rosemary extract, vitamin E, and grapefruit seed extract ARE NOT full spectrum preservatives, and will not inhibit growth of nasties. They can be used to aid the full spectrum preservative but not stand alone.

Cheers, and enjoy your shaves with whatever products you choose to use.

PS - the Cream is good stuff.

I have tried this combo of CO Bigelow and Nivea Sensitive Shave Creams combo with a squirt of NiveaOriginal Moisturizing Gel (can) to the mix before I whipped it up.

This has been a nice combination of creams. This combo, as well as just Nivea Sensitive and CO Bigelow Shave Creams, has me using creams in my rotation more than I have in the last year.

The Nivea Original Moisturizing Gel (can) is also a good product IMHO.

I have not seen the tube of Nivea Originals available in my area as of yet.

Top Bottom