What's new

Unscented soap for sensitive skin

I have a friend I recently converted to wet shaving. For a few months he has practiced and got the basics down fairly well. Up until this point, he had been using his favorite canned cream and now wants to try shaving soap. I gave him a two band finest brush and he also picked up a semogue 1305 brush.

The biggest hitch is, he has very sensitive skin....he never wears cologne, no aftershave, etc. He would like some options for soap that is unscented and no lanolin.

So far he has ordered a puck from saint charles shave which offered unscented soap. I also contacted Als shaving to see if he could do unscented cream/aftershave. Any other worthy recommendations?

While I have never tried their unscented offerings, Mike's, Stirling, and Barrister and Mann all make unscented soaps. I am certain there are many others as well. If you are interested in creams, AOS has a fine unscented cream. Trufitt & Hill's Ultimate Comfort claims to be unscented but it does have the slightest hint of lavender essential oil.

Thanks. Matt from queen charlotte soaps got back and said he could send unscented also. So have a few options to present to him anyways.

I also have sensitive skin and I'm constantly looking for sensitive shaving soap and cream. Other than the recommendations from rodmonster, I can't think of any unscented products on the top of my head. If by chance your friends wants a change from unscented products, have him check out Proraso White, Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera soap and TOBS Jermyn Street for sensitive screen. Sorry I couldn't be any more of help, I also just started shaving wet shaving just recently.

Expensive (but highly recommended):
Art of Shaving (soap and cream)
Valobra (unscented puck)
Martin de Candre Unscented

Mid-Priced:
Taylor of Old Bond Street Natural cream

Inexpensive:
Kiss My Face Unscented Cream (available in Whole Foods and most health stores)

Artisan Soaps:
Caties Bubbles Le Nude
Mystic 4 Men Sensitive Skin
Tiki Bar Soap (custom unscented by request)
Barrister & Man Unscented

Proroaso White for Sensitive Skin, although lightly scented and with some menthol, is also very mild. I personally love the White, and I have very sensitive skin and react to most fragrance and essential oils.

The unscented soaps from B&M, Mike's and Stirling contain lanolin, actually, since you were pretty specific about that. How To Grow A Moustache's Synergy soap comes unscented and does not contain lanolin, and is incredibly easy to lather with.

I'd vote for the Stirling or Queen Charlotte unscented. Great products and support for strong B&B supporters and USA small business owners!

I dont know if he has an actual allergy to lanolin or not, but since he takes medication as an adult for his skin he is pretty gun shy of anything that MIGHT cause a problem. I dont know what canned goo he used for shaving, but I would think that stuff would have fragrances and other synthetic items that would be harsh on the skin vs some of soaps/creams the wet shave community is used to.

VDH Luxury Unscented may be to his liking. VDH states that it is hypo allergenic. My source for this is Amazon. I buy the three pack when I'm ordering from amazon and need to get the order above $35.00 for the free shipping.

VDH also makes hypo allergenic in their Premium line, Premium Select. I don't know a source for it though.

Top Bottom