What's new

My last shoe idea

Short version - I don't want to spend more than $150ish for a pair of black dress shoes for interviews/weddings/funerals. My understanding is that to get a welted, full grain leather shoe at that price point I can either get a shoe that is at least partially made in another country (John Doe, ae by Allen Edmonds, etc), buy used, or wait for a Nordstrom's anniversary sale to get a pair of real Allen Edmonds. The clearance shoes at Allen Edmonds aren't even remotely close to my size, unfortunately.

My last gasp is a Massimo Matteo shoe that, to my eye, looks like a welted, full grain shoe although I can't find information to confirm or discount this. I admit that I really like the style, although the perforations do dress it down a bit from what I understand. I'm assuming that these look better than the previously linked Rockports or Eccos.

http://www.zappos.com/massimo-matteo-6-eye-bal-cap-toe

$2620471-p-LARGE_SEARCH.jpg

That's the biggest pic I can find, so my apologies.

Otherwise, I may simply buy a more "disposable" shoe, or wait for a sale for an Allen Edmonds. I can't seem to find the ae line anywhere online . . .

In addition to the normal Allen Edmonds' clearance on their site, you should also check out their factory seconds list:

http://www.shoebank.com/

Generally has a much greater selection. The caveat being the shoes will have small cosmetic defects, normally not noticable unless you know where to look.

As for your budget, bumping it up by a couple hundred dollars wouldn't hurt. I know it might seem like a lot, but a black cap toe is a timeless and classic shoe. You'll probably need one on and off for the rest of your life. It's worth spending a bit more to buy a shoe that might actually last that long.

EDIT: Looking at the shoe you linked, it seems like it's very similar construction to the DSW house brand Mercanti Fiorientini. Wouldn't be surprised if they come from the same factory and are just rebranded. I have a pair of their wingtips, that were about the same price as those cap toes. The shoes are OK, but they are not recraftable and will eventually break down. The leather is also of inferior quality, the uppers are creasing a lot and I'm worried the sole will eventually crack. I use them as sort of knockaround wingtips now. For the price, not bad, but the extra $100-200 put into a better brand is absolutely worth it for a shoe that will last four times as long (or longer).

Last edited:
Which for interviews/weddings/funerals? I prefer the first with the slight broguing, but the second looks more formal.
$allenedmonds_shoes_fifth-avenue_black.jpg $allenedmonds_shoes_park-avenue_black_l.jpg

I prefer #1, the perforated. Same style with just a tiny bit of sizzle. Be sure to look on ebay. I have gotten some great deals there on Allen Edmonds and Cole Haan loafers.

#2 is a winner and will never be a bad choice.

I agree with Jim, BUT I am not sure who is going to notice. Here in Plattsmouth, I can you that no one is going to notice much more than that you have a nice pair of shoes on either way you go. In Omaha, I doubt any more notice than that with the outside chance someone in a big corporate headquarters would. There are standards, and then there is reality.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
They look nice in the picture. I have no more idea about the quality or how long they will last then you do. I assume the only width available is the correct size for you.

If you're any where near a Johnson and Murphy outlet they have an Aristocraft cap toe for about $200 that is comfortable and comes in different widths. I believe they are now made in China, but they will last quite a few years.

If you're only going to wear them a handful of times each year you'll probably do fine with the shoes you've selected.

I prefer the Park Avenues over the Fifth Avenues in black..... but that's just me. In general, broguing indicates more casual compared to no broguing, but as John has stated above...... most people will not notice or have a second thought about it.

I say if you are only going to go with one pair, go with the pair that YOU like the best.

Ben

I would definitely choose #2 for the purposes you mention. #1 look nice, but IMO tries too straddle the more formal and causal look at the same time, almost like going to the said interviews/weddings/funerals with a 2 day beard.

Go with the Park Aves (#2). They're more "formal" but only slightly more so than the 5th Aves. Like others have said most people won't notice the difference, so you might as well go for the sartorially "correct" version. A classic black cap toe is something everyone should own, and if you're going to invest in a pair of quality dress shoes, something like the Park Ave should be first on your list. Put a good high gloss shine on them and they will look like a million bucks.

I think the 5th Aves look better in brown anyway. I'm not a huge fan of black shoes with brouging. You lose the detail with the black-on-black.

Go with the Park Aves (#2). They're more "formal" but only slightly more so than the 5th Aves. Like others have said most people won't notice the difference, so you might as well go for the sartorially "correct" version. A classic black cap toe is something everyone should own, and if you're going to invest in a pair of quality dress shoes, something like the Park Ave should be first on your list. Put a good high gloss shine on them and they will look like a million bucks.

I think the 5th Aves look better in brown anyway. I'm not a huge fan of black shoes with brouging. You lose the detail with the black-on-black.

+1 on this. I agree 100%.

Ben

Another thing to keep in mind is Nordstroms will be having their sale soon that will include a few different kinds of AEs. Not sure all of the styles, but the Park Ave is always on the list.

Another thing to keep in mind is Nordstroms will be having their sale soon that will include a few different kinds of AEs. Not sure all of the styles, but the Park Ave is always on the list.

It actually ended yesterday and for some reason the Park Aves (nor the Strands) weren't included. The Players were, but they are much less formal:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/allen-e...gin=related-3170711-0-1-1-item_page.PP_OOS-RR

They are still on sale and it looks like lots of other dress shoes that might fit Teppanyaki's prices are still on sale as well.

Top Bottom