What's new

Old Fashioneds? Asking all Don Draper wannabes.

I'm with you until you get to the orange peel--the way I've always made an Old Fashioned stops with the sugar cube, bitters, a couple of drops of water and whiskey. That's the way I learned how to make it many moons ago, and that's how I make it for myself. I'm not adverse to dropping a cherry in it if that's how someone wants it, but my kids always eat all the ones I have in the fridge faster than I can replace them.

On the other hand, if I order a drink at a bar, I'm happy to see what the bartender comes up with. When I was younger, the bartenders at the places I usually went to were cantankerous old codgers with veiny noses and bloodshot eyes. They seemed like they'd been tending bar since the Great Depression and they poured heavy with no frills. Then, there was a time that I no longer want to remember when everything came out of a blender in strange colors. Now, they're either like mad scientists with bottle after bottle of herbal infusions, tanks of gas and cask aged cocktails, or they are twirling their waxed mustaches as if they are waiting for John L. Sullivan to stop in for a snort. Even so, I think it's pretty interesting to see the kinds of drinks that they serve. Definitely a greater level of attention to detail that I can remember in many years. The barista mentality has overtaken bartending and I think it's a good thing.

I agree that the orange twist is optional. That was the "formal" way the guys I learned from made it. But with these same guys in elk camp or at the fishing cabin, no one had an orange, so sugar, water, Angostura and whiskey was it. Did the job. Likewise, a cherry, whole, doesn't bother me. If I order an OF at a bar, it will generally have a cherry drowned in it, and that's fine. Just don't muddle it

1/2 to 2/3 tsp of sugar
Enough dashes of angostura bitters to cover the sugar
couple drops of water
mix till sugar dissolves, add a little more water if needed
fill glass with ice and stir in the sugar and bitter, make sure sugar is dissolved before adding bourbon
add favorite bourbon, as much as you like
2 dashes orange angostura bitters for the orange essence
enjoy!

Staying true to Don Draper (and the title of this thread), I use his whiskey of choice: Canadian Club. I add about 4-5 drops of Angostura, a sugar cube, a cherry, and a splash of seltzer or club soda (instead of still water). I muddle the cherry and sugar, then stir til the sugar is (mostly) dissolved, add ice, another cherry and a slice of orange (on a bar toothpick), and voila! Here's to you, Don, and let's hope you finally win an Emmy --- it's long overdue.

Sugar cube turned brown with Angostura bitters
splash of water
slice of orange and a Maraschino cherry
I muddle here.
Two cubes of ice
Pour the bourbon. Bulleit, Maker's, and Woodford Reserve are on the shelf now.

1/2 to 2/3 tsp of sugar
Enough dashes of angostura bitters to cover the sugar
couple drops of water
mix till sugar dissolves, add a little more water if needed
fill glass with ice and stir in the sugar and bitter, make sure sugar is dissolved before adding bourbon
add favorite bourbon, as much as you like
2 dashes orange angostura bitters for the orange essence
enjoy!
Yes. The Angostura orange is a great substitute for (maybe better than?) the orange zest. And when headed to the field, it's a lot easier to throw in a bottle of AB orange than remembering to pack oranges. You nailed it.

Yup, occasionally I will add a splash of Fee Bro's West Indian orange bitters. Makes a nice variation.

If you guys have never tried a high proof old fashioned I'd really recommend that you try it.

My Recipe
------------------------------------
Rocks glass
Spoon of sugar in the raw
5-7 dashes angostura bitters
teaspoon of lemon juice w/rind if you have the lemon (orange works as well if I have one)
fill glass half way with bookers single barrel bourbon
stir
add ice and top with seltzer water

Its not your typical old fashioned recipe, but I don't like frou frou cherries in my drink and I don't typically have oranges or sugar cubes lying around, so I make do. The big thing to take away is try Booker's single barrel with your next old fashioned.
Bookers Single Barrel Bourbon

If you guys have never tried a high proof old fashioned I'd really recommend that you try it.

My Recipe
------------------------------------
Rocks glass
Spoon of sugar in the raw
5-7 dashes angostura bitters
teaspoon of lemon juice w/rind if you have the lemon (orange works as well if I have one)
fill glass half way with bookers single barrel bourbon
stir
add ice and top with seltzer water

Its not your typical old fashioned recipe, but I don't like frou frou cherries in my drink and I don't typically have oranges or sugar cubes lying around, so I make do. The big thing to take away is try Booker's single barrel with your next old fashioned.
Bookers Single Barrel Bourbon
I'm with you on the cherries; not my thing either. And though I usually do have sugar cubes and an orange or two at home, on my whiskey budget, I don't typically have Booker's lying around. :001_smile But it sounds terrific, so I'll put it on my list of things to try ... someday.

I'm experimenting with Old Fashioneds tonight! So far sugar didn't dissolve good. Next one will be made with agave nectar. I'm using orange and cherry also, but not muddling them.

How do you guys muddle sugar without a muddler?

In my experience, just now, muddled orange adds a bit of bitterness.

How do you guys muddle sugar without a muddler?

In my experience, just now, muddled orange adds a bit of bitterness.

If you don't have a muddler, you can dissolve sugar in water with a spoon or the handle end of a butter knife. Better yet, make up some simple syrup (pre-dissolved sugar/water mixture, 1:1 ratio, dissolve by gently heating and stirring) and keep it on hand in the fridge. A teaspoon in the bottom of the glass, and you're good to go.

Even better, uh yet. Add some gomme arabica to that simple syrup to make some gomme syrup. Replaces sugar and makes (almost) any drink velvety smooth.

I invented a new drink last weekend and it fits into this thread nicely. We have a distillery here in traverse city Michigan (the cherry capital of the Midwest) and they distill a cherry infused whiskey. Decided it kind of sucked on its own so got creative...

1 oz grand traverse cherry whiskey
1/2 oz gran Marnier
Finish with club soda over ice.

I call it the old gran traverse.

If you don't have a muddler, you can dissolve sugar in water with a spoon or the handle end of a butter knife. Better yet, make up some simple syrup (pre-dissolved sugar/water mixture, 1:1 ratio, dissolve by gently heating and stirring) and keep it on hand in the fridge. A teaspoon in the bottom of the glass, and you're good to go.
Simple syrup, good idea!

Can't drink too many of these sugary drinks without feeling it in the morning!

Inspired by this thread, I had an Old Fashioned or three when I was in Brooklyn last weekend. The bartender made a nice, simple drink--rye, bitters and a splash of simple syrup. Shaken and into the glass over a single, massive ice cube. Wiped around the lip of the glass with a slice of citrus rind. That delivered quite a surprise. When I lifted the glass, the oils from the rind hit me right in the nose and I got an incredible blast of citrus--way out of proportion to the amount he used. But it had no direct effect on the flavor, which was cool. I tried a different rye with each, but they were all pretty darn good. If I had to pick one, I think the Rittenhouse worked out best. All in all, it was a pleasant experiment.

Inspired by this thread, I had an Old Fashioned or three when I was in Brooklyn last weekend. The bartender made a nice, simple drink--rye, bitters and a splash of simple syrup. Shaken and into the glass over a single, massive ice cube. Wiped around the lip of the glass with a slice of citrus rind. That delivered quite a surprise. When I lifted the glass, the oils from the rind hit me right in the nose and I got an incredible blast of citrus--way out of proportion to the amount he used. But it had no direct effect on the flavor, which was cool. I tried a different rye with each, but they were all pretty darn good. If I had to pick one, I think the Rittenhouse worked out best. All in all, it was a pleasant experiment.

That sounds like a great OF session. The simple sugar-bitters-whiskey-twist is my go to OF recipe. I'm with you that the citrus twist is more about nose than flavor, but it does add to the whole palate of the drink. And, +1 on the Rittenhouse, a great product from the folks at Heaven Hill.

Staying true to Don Draper (and the title of this thread), I use his whiskey of choice: Canadian Club. I add about 4-5 drops of Angostura, a sugar cube, a cherry, and a splash of seltzer or club soda (instead of still water). I muddle the cherry and sugar, then stir til the sugar is (mostly) dissolved, add ice, another cherry and a slice of orange (on a bar toothpick), and voila! Here's to you, Don, and let's hope you finally win an Emmy --- it's long overdue.

Canadian Club is a great blended whiskey for making Old Fashioneds. Lots of rye in it.

I experimented with OFs this weekend and think I found my favorite.

Muddle 2 cherries and some of the juice, half an orange wheel with the peel removed and 4 dashes of Angostura. Pour into a glass, add about a teaspoon of simple syrup, ice cubes, then bourbon to cover the ice, any 1.5oz. Pour into an empty glass and back into your glass once to mix. I tried the done thing with just a splash of club soda and liked it best without it.

Top Bottom