What's new

Old Fashioneds? Asking all Don Draper wannabes.

Your recipe and your favorite liquor to put in it?

I'm having Bulleit Bourbon in mine now. Sugar cube or 2, bitters, water to help with muddle, and sliver of orange peel. I know rye may be preferred. If so suggest a brand. Cherry goes in after muddle. Only knock it around while stirring. Do not muddle the cherry.

Thoughts?

Here in Wisconsin its got to be made with Brandy(we seriously have a love affair with brandy. 1/3 of all Korbels sales are from Wisconsin).

Currently my favorite is using woodford, though if I'm feeling risky, some woulett rye.
1 orange sllice
tablespoon of sugar (I prefer the sugar as it cuts and grinds the orange and cherry up)
a homemade Marchiano cherry
3-5 dashes of angorusta bitters, or your favorite local one
splash of soda water (or a splash of whiskey), just enough to give you some lubrication in mulling
In an "old fashioned glass"
Mull the ingredients with a good muller, once mulled if you don't want the chunky stuff in the bottom, you can certainly remove it.
fill ice to the top of your highball
add one ounce of bourbon/rye(rye if you want a spicy taste)

add soda to complete (or more whiskey if you have a good one)

garnish wtih another orange spear and marchiano cherry

I usually use Buffalo Trace bourbon but I enjoy any quality bourbon.
I use a bottle of bitters from the Breckenridge distillery that I got there while on vacation.

1-2 teaspoons of sugar in the bottom of an old fashioned glass.
Just enough bitters to saturate the sugar.
1 wedge of peeled mandarin orange and 1 marchiano cherry.
Muddle those ingredients.
Add ice cubes and fill the glass with bourbon of choice.
Stir and enjoy.

Currently my favorite is using woodford, though if I'm feeling risky, some woulett rye....snip

Did you know Woodford makes bitters? A restaurant around here has been running a "special" for Manhattans and Old Fashioned with Woodford bourbon and Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry bitters. I've had a few now -- eally nice combo -- the bitters really complement the bourbon.

The bitters are not cheap though -- about $14 for 3 oz bottle.

As a native Minnesotan putting down roots across the river in Wisconsin, I just don't understand the brandy and lemon lime soda substitutions (I begrudgingly say soda because we all know it's pop, but in this instance I'll concede that it sounds funny).

But I digress...

Among other happy coincidences that came along with my move behind the Cheddar Curtain, was the startup of a small distillery in my town (45th Parallel Distillery) that puts out a great bourbon called Borders, as well as a rye.

In a low ball, I like to muddle sugar, biters, and an orange slice, fill with ice, eyeball the bourbon, splash of the maraschino syrup, splash of club soda, and garnish with a cherry.

I guess I'm more old school, Old Fashioned's are too sweet for me. Manhattans are more my style. Want to try something fun, try a Templeton Rye Manhattan... Nice and old school... :) 2 Ice cubes.

dash of bitters - Angostura or Fee Bro's
splash of gomme syrup
stir
bourbon - Knob Creek, Woodford, or Blanton's (they are the only ones I can buy)
stir again
ice ball

Did you know Woodford makes bitters? A restaurant around here has been running a "special" for Manhattans and Old Fashioned with Woodford bourbon and Woodford Reserve Spiced Cherry bitters. I've had a few now -- eally nice combo -- the bitters really complement the bourbon.

The bitters are not cheap though -- about $14 for 3 oz bottle.

yes, I have a fairly extensive collection of bitters (including the woodford) that I've been trying, but IMO Angourosta is still the best for that "old fashioned" flavor

Bulleit rye whiskey, sugar cube and cherry mashed with a muddler...dashed with Angostura..topped with soda or "fizzy" water

The Whiskey Old Fashioned Sour:

From northwoods Wisconsin here (north of Green Bay). Been drinking old fashioneds since I was legal (2004). How I make 'em at home: Use a double rocks glass. Couple dashes of Angostura bitters, a cherry or two, and an orange slice (optional, since I rarely have oranges). Muddling the cherry and orange is optional. Fill the glass entirely with ice to the top. Fill the glass halfway with Candian Club or Candadian LTD whiskey; or the ever popular Kesslers if you feel like being cheap. Top off with 50/50 sour soda (variations: Sweet: 7Up, Soda: Club Soda, Press: 7Up and Club Soda). Then my favorite touch: garnish with a spear of two pickled brussel sprouts.

If I feel like it, I will fill the glass 2/3 full with booze before adding the soda.

For a traditional Wisconsin Old Fashioned, if I'm in the mood, I'll substitute the whiskey with brandy. Korbel is the popular choice, but I prefer Paul Masson Brandy because of its taste, and because of Orson Welles.

Last edited:
I have family in Wisconsin and they gave me one of their "Old Fashioned’s" and it was WAY too sweet. To be honest, I don’t know how yall enjoy those. I like the more traditional old fashioned.

In a Double Old Fashioned glass:
Two sugar cubes
5-7 shakes of the bitters of your choice
Tiny bit of water to help the muddling
Muddle the sugar
Slice a twist of orange rind but take off all the white on the underside
Twist over glass and drop in
Fill glass with ice
Add 4oz bourbon of choice (Woodford for me)
Stir and garnish with a cherry

I have family in Wisconsin and they gave me one of their "Old Fashioned’s" and it was WAY too sweet. To be honest, I don’t know how yall enjoy those. I like the more traditional old fashioned.

If someone is using Old Fashioned mix, which a lot of bars in WI do, you will get a decent drink, but I agree, too sweet. A good bar will make it from scratch. Brandy is often used as a substitute for whiskey due to the popularity of brandy with German immigrants who came to WI in the 1800's.

The traditional Old Fashioned (sugar, bitters, whiskey, ice, no garnish) was popular during the pre-Prohibition era. The tradition of adding fruit (cherries and orange slices) and soda started during Prohibition to mask the rancid taste of low-grade bathtub booze. This tradition continued after Prohibition and for decades until Old Fashioneds fell out of favor in recent times, except in Wisconsin where it has continued to this day, and other small pockets of the Midwest.

The traditional pre-Prohibition Old Fashioned has made a comeback in recent years, thanks in large part to Mad Men, which is ironic considering they show Don Draper making his with cherries, orange slices, and club soda, as most people would have made them in the 50's and 60's. If you gave Don Draper an Old Fashioned with no cherries, oranges, or soda he probably would have looked you in the eye and said, 'What the hell is this?"

The Whiskey Old Fashioned Sour:

From northwoods Wisconsin here (north of Green Bay). Been drinking old fashioneds since I was legal (2004). How I make 'em at home: Use a double rocks glass. Couple dashes of Angostura bitters, a cherry or two, and an orange slice (optional, since I rarely have oranges). Muddling the cherry and orange is optional. Fill the glass entirely with ice to the top. Fill the glass halfway with Candian Club or Candadian LTD whiskey; or the ever popular Kesslers if you feel like being cheap. Top off with 50/50 sour soda (variations: Sweet: 7Up, Soda: Club Soda, Press: 7Up and Club Soda). Then my favorite touch: garnish with a spear of two pickled brussel sprouts.

If I feel like it, I will fill the glass 2/3 full with booze before adding the soda.

For a traditional Wisconsin Old Fashioned, if I'm in the mood, I'll substitute the whiskey with brandy. Korbel is the popular choice, but I prefer Paul Masson Brandy because of its taste, and because of Orson Welles.

That first recipe is pretty similar to northern MN too, probably for the same reasons, brandy old fashioneds are also very popular, especially amongst my grandparents generation (sadly not many enjoying those anymore) We usually use EJ brandy here for some reason.

All this talk of Old Fashioneds made me thirsty.

$IMG_20140717_213031906.jpg

Still have no idea how picked brussel sprouts got put into that. I'm sure it helps counteract the sweetness but brussel sprouts???

Nice glass! Get that at Curlys pub?:001_smile

Nope. They sell 'em at gas stations around here for cheap when you buy them with gas, lol.

Still have no idea how picked brussel sprouts got put into that. I'm sure it helps counteract the sweetness but brussel sprouts???

Definitely a Wisconsin supper club tradition. Bartender will usually ask if you'd like a garnish with your old fashioned. Options are usually cherries (obviously), olives, pickled mushrooms, pickled pearl onions, or my favorite, pickled brussel sprouts. You'll know you're in a classy joint when they have pickled brussel sprouts, lol. There's probably some others, but they escape me right now. But you nailed it, the vinegar is an awesome addition to offset the sweetness.

Yeah my relitives are from Green Bay about five blocks from Lambeau, they serve them mixed with 7-up, sprite, etc. Not for me. Good on ya though!

Top Bottom